Used 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 S Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Most Helpful|
Ford Focus 2005 Automatic transmission
By Veva

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Nothing but problems with the automatic transmission, I have put approx. $3000.00 in transmission, today the car will not go in drive over 10 mph. I can drive the car in 2nd gear not over 30 mph. I am today trying to find a garage to have my car towed to. This car is not paid off and I am constantly putting money into. And making a monthly payment, I have had this Ford for 4 years and it has made me a nervous wreck to drive. The throttle cable catches all the time, the worst part with the transmission is you are traveling at 50 mph and the transmission will go into low gear, or neutral when someone behind you is going 50 mph. Not safe on the interstate

Favorite Features

gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Ford should have had a recall on these cars for the automatic transmission and the sticking throttle cable

safe and reliable
By mesm

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got into a head on collision with a drunk driver in a GMC Yukon while driving my '05 Ford Focus and walked away with nothing but whiplash and a few cuts and bruises. The entire front of the car was flattened, but all of the built in safety features worked and saved both mine and my passenger's lives. In another car, we could have easily died. The gas mileage could have been better, but this is a great car if you're looking for something safe, reliable, and sturdy.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Slow pickup, poor gas mileage

I HATE this car
By Ranita

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car for 7 months now and I have had so many problems with this vehicle. There's no power locks and the brake are already bad. This was my first car so I REALLY had no idea what I was getting in to.

Favorite Features

The CD player.

Suggested Improvements

Power locks.

2005 Focus ZX4
By j black

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We are very pleased with our 05 Focus ZX4. We also have an 02 Focus Se wagon which we are also very pleased with. The 05 does get 5 to 7 mpg better. The torque curve has been noticeably improved, especially at passing speeds. The stall ratio of the transmission has also been changed. The engine feels very strong when starting from a dead stop.

Favorite Features

Dash design is open. It does not feel like a small car. I also like the steering wheel-mounted controls for the radio and CD player and the small compartment for CD storage.

Suggested Improvements

Seat belts difficult to latch particularly if one is wearing bulky winter clothing. The emergency brake lever is awkward to release.

Awesome Value
By scandalon68

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was by far the best care I have ever owned. It was running great with over 210K until it was totaled. Great mileage.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes squeak!