Used 2005 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Great car, fun to drive, ZX4 ST Focus
By Jim Monk

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Great car loaded with features if you get the ST. Fun to drive 0 to 60 in 7.5 seconds. Car listed for $19,790 loaded up, got it for $15,000 with rebates and employee pricing. Had to tint the windows darker. Get the side air bags for extra safety. Has a great sound, you can hear the exhaust, unlike Hondas and Toyotas. Who wants a car that does not sound cool? This car has it all, looks, speed, great sound for a 4 cylinder.

Fun to drive, sounds great, also the Sony 6 disc sound system is fantastic. Looks great, better then any Honda Civic or any Toyota by far. Make sure to buy the ST, the 2.3 is worth the extra money.

Make side air bags standard.

So-so
By John Doe

2005 Ford Focus ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm a bit disappointed at its performance and fuel economy. I have a full-size sedan which is thriftier and performs much better. The fit and finish inside is much better than outside, where panels don't line up neatly and some stamped parts are not even. The paint is good though. Although the steering wheel provides telescoping besides tilting, it should telescope farther. At 6'5", I find the feet position uncomfortable. Yet, it's got a hard-to-beat price.

6-disc, in-dash CD player. Practical CD tray. Front and aft leg and head room.

More power. Better mileage. Better exterior fitting. Standard ABS and side air-bags.

Good Basic Car
By Joel from IL

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We owned a 2003 Focus, and we traded for the 2005. We now have 3500 miles on the Focus. The 2005 is fun to drive, but it seems that I have to readjust the wheel for each bump I hit. It may be because of the low-profile tires. I'm surprised at only 21-22 mpg city which isn't good for a 4 cylinder. The dealer reflashed the PCM to see if that helps. One downgrade is cheaper quality interior materials. Also, the door and quarter panels aren't flush which is a build quality issue. This Focus has been to the dealer for a minor issue of rough morning idle. Despite the negatives, driving a 2004 Cavalier left me wanting my Focus back.

Fun-to-drive, acceleration improved from previous generation Focus, MP3 6- CD stereo, lumbar seat adjustment.

More storage for small items, better mpg, improve build quality.

Great car, don't complain about MPG.
By Socktown

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Someone complained about getting 26 mpg in the ST? The window sticker on mine clearly stated 21city/32highway. It's a high torque, short geared engine. It's not going to sip gas. Please don't criticize a machine for doing EXACTLY what it said it would do at the time of purchase. Now, I traded a Mustang GT Convertible for this. New baby and all that. I couldn't be happier. Acceptable gas mileage (I also get around 26), great fun to drive quotient and excellent room.

Great handling, responsive throttle, wonderful exhaust note and solid, comfortable cabin.

Little more pizazz in the dash. Relocate the traction control defeat switch.

2005 Ford Focus
By Sandra

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Focus is a wonderful car with a lot of room and great on gas. It's compact enough to get into any parking spot without any trouble.

The only improvement that I could suggest is to give the trunk latch a longer life span. I have only had my car for 4 months and the truck latch sometimes doesn't want to open. The trunk light has also been a problem. Sometimes it'll work then other times it won't.