Used 2005 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

So-so
By John Doe

2005 Ford Focus ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm a bit disappointed at its performance and fuel economy. I have a full-size sedan which is thriftier and performs much better. The fit and finish inside is much better than outside, where panels don't line up neatly and some stamped parts are not even. The paint is good though. Although the steering wheel provides telescoping besides tilting, it should telescope farther. At 6'5", I find the feet position uncomfortable. Yet, it's got a hard-to-beat price.

Favorite Features

6-disc, in-dash CD player. Practical CD tray. Front and aft leg and head room.

Suggested Improvements

More power. Better mileage. Better exterior fitting. Standard ABS and side air-bags.

Good Basic Car
By Joel from IL

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We owned a 2003 Focus, and we traded for the 2005. We now have 3500 miles on the Focus. The 2005 is fun to drive, but it seems that I have to readjust the wheel for each bump I hit. It may be because of the low-profile tires. I'm surprised at only 21-22 mpg city which isn't good for a 4 cylinder. The dealer reflashed the PCM to see if that helps. One downgrade is cheaper quality interior materials. Also, the door and quarter panels aren't flush which is a build quality issue. This Focus has been to the dealer for a minor issue of rough morning idle. Despite the negatives, driving a 2004 Cavalier left me wanting my Focus back.

Favorite Features

Fun-to-drive, acceleration improved from previous generation Focus, MP3 6- CD stereo, lumbar seat adjustment.

Suggested Improvements

More storage for small items, better mpg, improve build quality.

Great car, don't complain about MPG.
By Socktown

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Someone complained about getting 26 mpg in the ST? The window sticker on mine clearly stated 21city/32highway. It's a high torque, short geared engine. It's not going to sip gas. Please don't criticize a machine for doing EXACTLY what it said it would do at the time of purchase. Now, I traded a Mustang GT Convertible for this. New baby and all that. I couldn't be happier. Acceptable gas mileage (I also get around 26), great fun to drive quotient and excellent room.

Favorite Features

Great handling, responsive throttle, wonderful exhaust note and solid, comfortable cabin.

Suggested Improvements

Little more pizazz in the dash. Relocate the traction control defeat switch.

2005 Ford Focus
By Sandra

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Focus is a wonderful car with a lot of room and great on gas. It's compact enough to get into any parking spot without any trouble.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement that I could suggest is to give the trunk latch a longer life span. I have only had my car for 4 months and the truck latch sometimes doesn't want to open. The trunk light has also been a problem. Sometimes it'll work then other times it won't.

2005 Ford Focus SE ZX4
By fay

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Wonderfully equipped for an economy car, very quiet smooth drive. great on gas. Very comfortable. A great buy. Very nice looking car too. Very easy handling. Lots of room for a small car. You definitely get your money's worth with this car. You can't go wrong.

Favorite Features

Cruise control, radio controls on dash and on steering wheel. Comfort. And great gas mileage. The handling is great. We love everything about this car.

Suggested Improvements

Not to much to improve on.