Used 2005 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

safe and reliable
By mesm

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got into a head on collision with a drunk driver in a GMC Yukon while driving my '05 Ford Focus and walked away with nothing but whiplash and a few cuts and bruises. The entire front of the car was flattened, but all of the built in safety features worked and saved both mine and my passenger's lives. In another car, we could have easily died. The gas mileage could have been better, but this is a great car if you're looking for something safe, reliable, and sturdy.

Slow pickup, poor gas mileage

Great and Fun little Car!!
By gbowen3553

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '05 Focus, used, three years ago. I was looking for dependable, cheap transportation for my Daughter. 90k miles later, I am Not dissapointed! Extreemly Dependable, low maintenance cost, high gas mileage (31 MPG in City), ang plenty of get up and go for a 4 Cyl. Very smooth Automatic, with overdrive, The interior and the Trunk are Huge, especially for a small car. Plenty of Grocery Room. Road noise is very noticeable, but what small car doesn't have that? Overall an outstanding little car and YES, I would purchase another!!

Large Interior and Cavernous Trunk. Perky 4 Cyl. Smooth Automatic Transmission.

Road Noise could be less. Cd Player doesn't last long, needs improvement.

Great Car
By colorsendinink

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My family bought this car new in 2004, and its given us very few problems since then. After making the mistake of buying a 1996 cavalier ( died after 4 months of driving with 78000 total miles)...me and my dad made a deal where i would make the down payment on his new car, and i would get his 2005 focus. best descion i've made. since 2004, we've only replaced the brakes once, which was last year, replaced sway links, and we had a minor electrical problem with the windows. the car works great in our buffalo winters, and currently has 150,000 miles and still drives great.

gas miles, good handling

interior build quality

Fifi
By djd7241

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I named her Fifi. It's short for Felicia Ford Focus. For a car that I am so often complimenting, she needed a name. Pushing 77000 miles and my only only problem EVER was an air bag light that came on and was fixed under warranty. I've gone through a couple sets of tires though. It's a respectable looking car but nothing exciting. It's a little louder than some other cars out there, but nothing unbearable. It's got some serious pep and corners amazingly. Took a 1200 mile trip this past may, cruise set at 90-95, A/C on full blast and pretty much everything I own in the back seat and trunk, I still got close to 29mpg. It may not seem great, but I was sure impressed. Great Auto Trans.

Map pocket holds a pharmacy (full size bottle of hand sanitizer, lotion, tums, excedrin, gift cards, bottle of water...all at the same time). Great power for a small car, speed compensated radio volume. Spoiler. A/C is ice cold. Reliability. Wipers do an extra sweep to catch the drip a few seconds after you use the washer fluid. Steering wheel audio controls. Winter-weather performance. Leather-wrapped steering wheel. Automatic Transmission.

Some interior bits are cheap and rattle a lot. Cabin noise is rather pronounced. Center Armrest is strange. Great to have but not the best or most stylish.

Not worth the repairs
By bioc06

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My '05 Focus has been prone to maintenance issues. Despite following the scheduled maintenance guide and having less than 50,000 miles, the transmission has gone. The cause, according to the mechanic, is wear and tear on a band, and nothing could have been done to prevent it. Twice, the alignment has gone out. No cause was given.

The car is comfortable, gas mileage is reasonable. Heats up quickly in the winter, cools quickly in the summer.

Better quality parts.