Used 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Fun Little Car!
By Gretchen Huiras

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my little car! It's super to drive in the city and comfortable to ride in on longer trips. I can drive for two weeks straight without having to go to the gas station, and for a single person, it is the perfect size. It has enough power that I can run the AC with minimal affect to the engine or gas tank. It has plenty of room for three people to sit comfortably, four being a little tight, but it is possible. It has been very reliable with only the 3000 mile check-ups bringing me to the dealer. It does well in both hot and cold weather and handles well in wet weather as well. As it doesn't snow in Savannah, GA., I can't comment on that. The stereo is wonderful. It's a fun car.

For its size, it has a lot of get up and go. It is a lot of fun to drive and very easy to drive. It sits very well on the road and handles curves like a pro. On the highway, it is really smooth and quiet. It likes to go fast, so driving it on longer trips is fun. It is also comfortable.

Chief complaint: When you put the back seat down, it doesn't allow for anyone to sit in the back. In other words, the back rest doesn't have a break in it allowing one side to go down and the other to be free for a third passenger. They have hopefully modified that in the 2005/2006 models.

Focus ZX3
By scionandfocus

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Took delivery of the second-least expensive version of the Focus available less than a month ago, a ZX3 S manual with air conditioning. With incentives, it had a no-haggle price of $11,062 (plus taxes, tags, and dealer charges). Toss in the car's roomy interior and great ride and handling, and the car seems like a winner. However, since we took delivery of the car, a problem with the manual transmission has appeared no fewer than five times, requiring three trips to the dealer that have yet to solve the problem. Hopefully this and any other problems with the car aren't widespread. Shoppers: it's worth counting on that to get what is probably the best small-car buy out there.

Well-designed manual operated mirrors, good rear seat space and access.

More secure manual transmission linkage, folding outside mirrors.

Still the Most Bang for the Buck
By micweb

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned four ZX-3's - a 2000, 2001, 2003, and the current 2005. The 2000 was buggy but way ahead of its time on handling and packaging. The current model is still ahead of the pack on handling and performance, returns good gas mileage as well, and is a reliable car. If you like to be involved in driving, and are on a budget, this (ZX3, S trim with aircon, stick shift) is the car for you! The current 100,000 mile power train warranty adds to the sense of security. I was able to buy a 6 year, 60,000 mile bumper to bumper Ford extended warranty for only $600. All of my Focii except the 2001 have been stick shift.

Engine and suspension are tops.

Put the tachometer back in!

U-Bet-Cha!
By Dusty

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Sporty, Quick and a blast to drive, and handles like it is on a rail! what more can you ask for?

My favorite feature is the fun! The close pattern shifter and the tight steering, reminds me of sports cars of days gone by.

It would be nice if the steering column on all of the ZX3ís were telescopic, Tilt is not needed but the wheel is just far enough away from the seat to be a bit uncomfortable on a long haul. The only other thing that I would change is to add some noise dampening in the cab.

Careful if you buy a manual 2005 ZX3
By Jennifer Reidy

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car, took it on vacation and on the way home, the brand new clutch burned out on a Saturday. On Monday I was told the part was on a national backorder. It would be weeks before it would be ready. I was 800 miles from home. My dealership was awesome. They got Ford to pull the part off the assembly line. The reimbursed me up to a $1000, but not for my missed time at work which cost me another $500. I love the car, but I will not buy another manual after this.

I love my CD player, how quickly it accelerates, and the maneuverability in tight places.

Just the field of vision when you look into your rear view mirror to the hatchback. I am tall, so I see more of the inside of the top of the hatchback than I do of the road. (And yes, I have adjusted my mirror many ways.)