2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Great Ford Product!!
By Kimberly on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car - this is my second 2005 Ford Focus ZX4! The first one I bought was in 2005 Sangria Red I drove it for 2 years and put 35,000 miles on it and absolutely loved it!! I traded it in for a bigger car Mercury Grand Marquis also a Great Ford product - but I missed the little Ford Focus. Five years later driving past a Ford dealership I spotted from the road 2005 white Ford Focus ZX4 - I pulled in and bought another one! This one had the same exact mileage 5 years later as the one I traded in - it was fate - meant to be. Its just a fun little car to drive! Great gas mileage If I drive the speed limit I get 37 mpg on the highway (manual 5 speed). Everyone should own one!!

Bang for your buck
By dumbblonde8 on 08/21/10 15:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car because my family has always bought Fords, and I have been impressed with it 4 years later. It's a dream for maintenance. I've NEVER had to had anything major done to it, just the oil and filters changed. I rallied the crap out of it too and nothing has happened. I hadn't gotten a wheel alignment since I bought the thing and just recently got one (yeah, been kinda broke lol) and it was BARELY out of alignment. Doing home maintenance on it is so easy a caveman can do it. The Hatchback gives plenty of room. All in all a very sporty car. HIGHLY recommend.

Great car
By Dbay on 08/17/10 13:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is actually my wife's car. She bought it nearly new and has done little maintenance and received so much more in return. Just replaced factory brakes at 90,000. No major repairs to date. Handles great in the snow and gets about 34-36 mpg. We love it.

Fuel pump trouble
By rurba546 on 08/14/10 09:56 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used with 40,000 miles. Drove it to 45,000 and found the factory battery needed to be replaced. It also started to die when it got below 1/4 tank. I replaced the fuel filter and that seemed to help, to be safe I kept it above 1/4 tank whenever possible. A month went by and the trouble returned stranding me half way through a 150 mile trip. Turns out the fuel pump was shot as I feared. Expensive repair due to the fact that the gas tank had to be removed to get to the fuel pump. I hope this is the last major repair for awhile. I like the car a lot otherwise so far. But, doesn't come close to my last car, a 1996 Chevy Cavalier that was awesome and gave me almost no trouble!

Meh
By Joey on 06/24/10 06:02 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Coming from a Grand Prix GT (3.8 V6) I am getting the same mileage in the city as I am in the SLOWcus (~23 mpg city). Seems to be reliable though. Trunk unlock is a PITA. Lifetime air filter. Sporty kinda. Get blinker & steering wheel controls confused. Ceiling compartment (sunshades, garage door) blocks part of view from rear view mirror if your tall (6 ft).

An Often Overlooked Performer
By Michael Mo on 05/17/10 16:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The ST is really a hidden gem in the Focus family. With 151 hp it's not exactly a "hot hatch" like the SVT but it's no slouch either. It's very well designed; I'm six feet tall and I have enough head/leg room, more than in some mid size cars. The front buckets are very comfortable and five years on it's been a model of reliability. In heavy city driving mileage has been about 22, not too bad given the car never feels short on power above 3000 rpm. The dash is pretty cheap, the lack of rear headrests annoys and one can't call this a quiet car. Every time I drive something else though I always miss my Focus's driving position and driver connectivity. For me that's worth the ST's minor faults.

Great little Wagon, Very Dependable
By dantomfin on 03/28/10 16:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SES 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had it new since '05. Zippy, handles well, decent gas mileage (around 20 in the city, better than 30 on the highway). Have had NO breakdowns or any mechanical issues - an EXTREMELY dependable car. Good points -Front seats are very comfortable. Lots of pep. Brakes smoothly and the brake replacement intervals are quite long. Heat and A/C work great. Good cargo space in the back, especially for a small wagon. Decent in the snow. Stock sound system is okay. Bad points - not much room in the back seat. Cloth seats stain easily. Some body creaks that drive me nuts. Build quality could be better. Tail and brake light sockets distorted from light bulb heat.

Ford Focus 2005 Automatic transmission
By Veva on 03/12/10 05:08 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Nothing but problems with the automatic transmission, I have put approx. $3000.00 in transmission, today the car will not go in drive over 10 mph. I can drive the car in 2nd gear not over 30 mph. I am today trying to find a garage to have my car towed to. This car is not paid off and I am constantly putting money into. And making a monthly payment, I have had this Ford for 4 years and it has made me a nervous wreck to drive. The throttle cable catches all the time, the worst part with the transmission is you are traveling at 50 mph and the transmission will go into low gear, or neutral when someone behind you is going 50 mph. Not safe on the interstate

bad transmissions
By moses on 03/07/10 17:59 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 focus ZX4 2 years ago. i read the car-fax report and it was good. Then i started to notice certain problems such as: Tire wear quickly, alignment off for no reason, and now transmission and transaxle problem. Mind you, the warranty was up the 5th of march this year the tranny and or transaxle went out the 7th of march this year. Now the car will not roll backwards in neutral if you try to push it. The back wheel seem to be lock when trying to push it backward in neutral. There were no warning of this problem what so ever.I think that FORD should take responsibility for their product. I have now seen over 120 complaints about the same thing in the same car.

Comfortable car, fun to drive
By WOODVILLENURSE on 03/03/10 14:18 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car wrecked with no warranty with only 20,000 miles. Went to Alaska and back putting over 10,000 miles on it I was having trouble with it dying when I slowed down and sped up the time a bit, then the check engine light came on saying it was revved up too high. Slowed it back down, changed the brain, and every other part that has to do with smooth running, nothing helped. Now, it is skipping when I'm cruising about 50mph, I was told it might be the ignition coil, but changed them out and that wasn't the case. If anybody has any idea what the problem is, please let me know. I have thoroughly enjoyed this car and if I had it to do over again, I would buy it. It is fun to drive!