Used 2005 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

The best choice I never did make
By Rach

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I didn't make the decision to get a Focus -- my husband and the salesman did. I wanted the big SUV. Of course, it was a blessing that I decided on the Focus, especially with the price of gas these days. It is WONDERFUL on fuel! I get about 432 miles to the tank and I get 36 miles to the gallon. It has a 12 gallon tank. Great on the pocket book. Much better than 15 miles to the gallon! It is fun to drive, but because of the fuel economy, the 2.0L engine doesn't have the pep that my former V8 had. However, I much prefer to save the gas and money. Would definitely recommend it as a car for anybody who likes to drive, despite the rising fuel costs.

INTERIOR DESIGN! The weight sensor air bag control is a wonderful safety feature. I love the storage space too. The water bottle holders in both front doors are really handy additions to the 2 center cup holders. The big trunk and the fact that the rear seat pulls down to add space is great too!

More horse power. It takes a while to speed up while going up the entrance ramp to the interstate. I would make ABS brakes a standard safety feature. Right now it's only optional. I would also have the rear trunk actually pop open with hydraulics rather than manually lifting it open. (Easier for loading).

the beast
By bryan

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Over all I love this car. Itís faster than I thought great on gas. Donít know about more than 2 people as I always drive alone.

Love the 6 disc mp3 player in the dash with controls on steering column.

An ashtray; whether its used or not, it should have one. A better sound system; at least a little louder.

Great car, fun to drive, ZX4 ST Focus
By Jim Monk

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Great car loaded with features if you get the ST. Fun to drive 0 to 60 in 7.5 seconds. Car listed for $19,790 loaded up, got it for $15,000 with rebates and employee pricing. Had to tint the windows darker. Get the side air bags for extra safety. Has a great sound, you can hear the exhaust, unlike Hondas and Toyotas. Who wants a car that does not sound cool? This car has it all, looks, speed, great sound for a 4 cylinder.

Fun to drive, sounds great, also the Sony 6 disc sound system is fantastic. Looks great, better then any Honda Civic or any Toyota by far. Make sure to buy the ST, the 2.3 is worth the extra money.

Make side air bags standard.

Good Basic Car
By Joel from IL

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We owned a 2003 Focus, and we traded for the 2005. We now have 3500 miles on the Focus. The 2005 is fun to drive, but it seems that I have to readjust the wheel for each bump I hit. It may be because of the low-profile tires. I'm surprised at only 21-22 mpg city which isn't good for a 4 cylinder. The dealer reflashed the PCM to see if that helps. One downgrade is cheaper quality interior materials. Also, the door and quarter panels aren't flush which is a build quality issue. This Focus has been to the dealer for a minor issue of rough morning idle. Despite the negatives, driving a 2004 Cavalier left me wanting my Focus back.

Fun-to-drive, acceleration improved from previous generation Focus, MP3 6- CD stereo, lumbar seat adjustment.

More storage for small items, better mpg, improve build quality.

Great car, don't complain about MPG.
By Socktown

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Someone complained about getting 26 mpg in the ST? The window sticker on mine clearly stated 21city/32highway. It's a high torque, short geared engine. It's not going to sip gas. Please don't criticize a machine for doing EXACTLY what it said it would do at the time of purchase. Now, I traded a Mustang GT Convertible for this. New baby and all that. I couldn't be happier. Acceptable gas mileage (I also get around 26), great fun to drive quotient and excellent room.

Great handling, responsive throttle, wonderful exhaust note and solid, comfortable cabin.

Little more pizazz in the dash. Relocate the traction control defeat switch.