Used 2005 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

ZX3 Pitch Black
By desm0derek

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car after researching smaller models. Found it was designed by an esteemed designer. Looks are terrific and the finish is excellent as you would expect from a Euro designed car. Driving is a hoot and the performance is more than acceptable. I also managed to get 2 high back chairs in the large rear after folding the seats down. Economy is 30mpg at all speeds although if you use the power higher up it drops slightly -- 27ish. All in all I am very pleased with the car and actually chose this over the BMW 323 because of the price differential; the BMW didn't offer the extra edge to warrant the price. The Mazda 3, Nissan, Toyota and GM vehicles were a bit lacking in quality.

Favorite Features

The dash layout is cool, but the previous year's was better. The seats are comfortable and the vision is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Bring in the new Euro model.

Key stuck in ignition
By rebel5386

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is an awesome car. I love it. I have 63000 on it, bought it with 35000. I just now had to replace the breaks and a tail light. However, my key won't come out. Its the ignition tumbler, and ford wants 300 at least to fix it. I don't suppose someone knows a way around this? I love this car, its so much fun, I paid too much at the time, but it has been so worth it. I just hate that I can't get my key out. The car starts fine, and turns off fine, its just that the key wont come out. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Features

I love how little gas it uses, its sporty look and that for a little four cylinder, it really moves!

Suggested Improvements

Why does it have to have so many sensors? Why does a key need a sensor?

Regret Selling It!!
By Diaur

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Focus ZX5 brand new in May 2005. It was such a fun and sporty car. It is excellent drive and has great fuel economy. I sold the car to CarMax in 2007 as I bought another car. It is one of the worst decisions I've made in my life! I regret selling it!

Favorite Features

Hatchback design Easy on the wallet and great on fun

Suggested Improvements

None!

So Far So Good
By Deesan

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drive 110 miles round trip for work every day, so I needed something that got better gas mileage than my full size Dodge pickup. The price on this car was way too good to pass up so I bought it. Anyway I set the cruise (installed after market) between 75-80 mph and I get 30-32 mpg. I figure that is pretty good for the speed I drive. In the couple of months I have owned the car I have not had any problems (knock on wood). The seats are comfortable and it drives pretty smooth. My only complaints so far are the road noise and the headlights. The noise isnít too bad but could be quieter. The headlights are terrible, not bright at all.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Brighter headlights. Quiet the road noise

Ford Focus 2005
By blan49

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The ride is sporty and the road handling is very good. The car is practical in layout and function. Ford has been okay about service. The gas mileage is a flat out lie. City driving is about 21.5 mpg, no where near the 26 mpg claims. I believe fuel accuracy is important in selling an auto. They blow it on this point.

Favorite Features

Quiet drive and good handling.

Suggested Improvements

20 more horsepower and 5 to 10 mpg fuel improvement.