Used 2005 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Most Helpful|
Ford Focus 2005 Automatic transmission
By Veva

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Nothing but problems with the automatic transmission, I have put approx. $3000.00 in transmission, today the car will not go in drive over 10 mph. I can drive the car in 2nd gear not over 30 mph. I am today trying to find a garage to have my car towed to. This car is not paid off and I am constantly putting money into. And making a monthly payment, I have had this Ford for 4 years and it has made me a nervous wreck to drive. The throttle cable catches all the time, the worst part with the transmission is you are traveling at 50 mph and the transmission will go into low gear, or neutral when someone behind you is going 50 mph. Not safe on the interstate

Favorite Features

gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Ford should have had a recall on these cars for the automatic transmission and the sticking throttle cable

Junk
By puskar49

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Less than a year after buying this car, the transmission died. It turns out there is a design flaw with the transmission. Way to go Ford. Regardless, the car is a piece of junk. The interior is cheap and cramped and rattles like the doors are lined with ball bearings.

Favorite Features

None. We finally unloaded this car and there isn't a single thing about it I'm going to miss. I guess the gas mileage was ok.

Suggested Improvements

Design a better car.

Not What We Hoped For
By Hackman

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When we purchased this Focus new, we were hoping to get a car that was fun to drive, great fuel economy, and reliability. Only one of those hopes has been realized. It is fun to drive, but it sure doesn't get the MPG's like most 4-cylinder cars. About 20-22 mpg city is all we can get. The replaceable parts like tires, brakes/rotors, and battery are definitely inferior. All had to be replaced within the first 3 years. And the cost of tires and brakes is outrageous since Ford has to different. Rotors=$75 each, when a comparable Chevy rotor is only $25. Now were getting a strut problem fixed after 43,000 miles. After this experience, we'd be hard pressed to buy another Ford.

Favorite Features

Engine is peppy, sporty drive

Suggested Improvements

Soften interior noise, better mileage, improve fit and finish of interior and exterior parts

Never thought I would buy a FORD
By chevyfangoneford

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Well this an update for what I wrote last time. Ok I have 6k on the car. I have had the car 6 months. I have issues with the paint 4 times; not too happy. The paint had been bubbling up on the doors and hood and also the trunk. Brand new car and had to have them paint these parts 4 times. Ford really needs to do better quality checks before sending vehicles off the assembly line. Also had the CD player replaced; was skipping all my CDs. That problem has been solved. Still have the paint issues though. But in all fairness the cars has been great. No other issues, if so I will write again.

Favorite Features

I like the sunroof, the seats, the interior look. Peppy, sporty ride and exhaust. Great price for the money.

Suggested Improvements

All-wheel drive, Sony Xplode should be standard on the St model, Basically the car should be loaded. Suppose to be the new version of SVT Focus

Watch Out!
By Matt

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2004 to replace my ailing 94 S-10 with 240k miles. I am less than happy with my car. Things that went wrong under warranty. CD Player - dead within weeks, replaced. Heater Core - dead within 18 months and leaked all over interior. Replaced part but not interior. Wobbling - found no problems, but I paid to rebalance, still wobbles. Unfixed issues - starting, the car just sometimes will not start. AC - varies from cold to warm randomly. Interior stinks, as one person mentioned "rattlebox". Engine seems loud, and I've been told it's just injector pulse. Interior can get loud on highway. Currently, blower on level 3 does not work. No leg room, tilt wheel stinks.

Favorite Features

Car engine seems reliable, no major issues there. Good power for a small car, good handling. I love the steering wheel audio controls and MP3 deck although the stereo system lacks. Lots of cup holders. Good interior space. Easy fold down rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

Interior rattles horribly - please improve. Telescoping steering wheel seems odd. I just can't get it right. Better gas mileage, the EPA estimates are very misleading. I've never reached over 31 MPG and I do all highway driving. Hard to hear anything when traveling on the highway, very loud.