Used 2005 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Great car!
By Prash

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I bought this car since it was exactly 14k. Corolla and Civic were more expensive and Sentra had worse mileage. I did not want another Accord because of the price. I have had this car for about 3 yrs now and now have 103k miles on it. I never changed the tires until one blew up at 102k, Jiffy Lube messed up my gas line due to a gas filter change and I had to get the entire gas line replaced. Other than changing oil, trans oil, coolant, tires, serpentine belt..no major problems. I would recommend this car to everyone. I drive 170 miles everyday and get about 33-36mpg. Why would I want a hybrid giving me 40k and costing me 24k?

Gas mileage and low maintenance costs.

Seating should be bettter. I already noticed that the seats in the 2008 Ford Focus had better lumbar support and I got about 42mpg driving on the higway! Alas, it was a loaner from the dealership.

Not bad at all
By nichole

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Definitely not a bad car. Only problem is when the alternator went up. Scared the crap out of me and seemed a little ironic that it happened with less than 20,000 miles on the car, but whatever. Not too impressed at needing new tires at 20,000 either. Partial blame on the dealer for not doing it and then the other half on myself for not knowing to ask. Handling is pretty good and parking is really easy. Not thrilled with the road noise at high speeds but I'll take that over having to turn off my AC to get moving above 30 mph in my old car.

Sitting up so high! I'm 5'1 and I love how much I can see. I'm also left handed and I love that the car is too. (If you don't know what I mean, see what happens when you roll down the windows or lock the door)

No cup holders in the door. You can't roll down the window. A center console might be nice. Gas release from the inside.

I like the warranty ... kind of
By The VA Lady

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the my car with only 11 miles. I put about 30k a year on a car and wanted something with a good warranty. At 90k the CD player went out. At 93k my alternator destroyed my battery while I was 300 miles from home. The part was covered under warranty but the dealership wouldn't have it for 2 days. My "warranty" wouldn't tow me back so I was stuck missing work for that time. When it was finally repaired the battery light came on again only about 100 miles down the highway. I admit, this isn't disastrous but I am concerned that I will be in a world of hurt at 100k when the factory warranty runs out. The customer care dept better wow me or it is hello Hyundai!

Attractive body design, efficient, good AC, reliable under 90k

Cheap interior, radio/CD player didn't last, loud road noise, headlights too dim

Love it!
By Rileigh

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my first Focus in 2001 and loved it! So when that got totalled in January 2005, I knew I wanted another Focus. The color choices stunk that year, but my new one has lots of great, new features that I love. I am very happy with it!

The drop-down CD holder, pocket on the back of the passenger seat, and of course, the gas mileage.

Outside mirrors need to be able to pivot, so if knocked, they do not break off (like mine both have. It's not cheap to buy new ones either)

Focus Rally Car!
By focuszombie

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Focus seems to take a beating in the reviews, but mine has been pretty much what I expected. I bought it used (lease return) and it was cheap transpo. Maintenance? I've replaced brake pads once (I'm at 42K miles), tires once, and done oil changes. That's it. Not bad. Resale value? Holding its own with current gas prices. I downsized from a Ranger 4x4 the Focus is like driving a sports car to me. Mountain roads are more fun and the road trip to Trona where my Focus left a Toyota PreRunner 2 miles in the dust on desert dirt roads, now that was a blast! Ford, why'd you kill the hatchback? Hatchbacks rule for small car utility and capacity. Bring it back! Yeah, I like mine!

Really like the steering column stereo controls. Hatchbacks with folding seats rule! This coming from someone whose last two vehicles were pickups!

I wish the steering wheel telescoped a bit further out. I wish it got better mileage. Come on, Ford advertised the hell out of this car saying it got 36mpg! Bull. I have not seen a single report of anyone getting that. Good thing the EPA readjusted ratings to reality recently.