2005 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Fifi
By djd7241 on 04/12/11 06:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I named her Fifi. It's short for Felicia Ford Focus. For a car that I am so often complimenting, she needed a name. Pushing 77000 miles and my only only problem EVER was an air bag light that came on and was fixed under warranty. I've gone through a couple sets of tires though. It's a respectable looking car but nothing exciting. It's a little louder than some other cars out there, but nothing unbearable. It's got some serious pep and corners amazingly. Took a 1200 mile trip this past may, cruise set at 90-95, A/C on full blast and pretty much everything I own in the back seat and trunk, I still got close to 29mpg. It may not seem great, but I was sure impressed. Great Auto Trans.

Meh
By Joey on 06/24/10 06:02 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Coming from a Grand Prix GT (3.8 V6) I am getting the same mileage in the city as I am in the SLOWcus (~23 mpg city). Seems to be reliable though. Trunk unlock is a PITA. Lifetime air filter. Sporty kinda. Get blinker & steering wheel controls confused. Ceiling compartment (sunshades, garage door) blocks part of view from rear view mirror if your tall (6 ft).

Not What We Hoped For
By Hackman on 01/20/10 19:29 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When we purchased this Focus new, we were hoping to get a car that was fun to drive, great fuel economy, and reliability. Only one of those hopes has been realized. It is fun to drive, but it sure doesn't get the MPG's like most 4-cylinder cars. About 20-22 mpg city is all we can get. The replaceable parts like tires, brakes/rotors, and battery are definitely inferior. All had to be replaced within the first 3 years. And the cost of tires and brakes is outrageous since Ford has to different. Rotors=$75 each, when a comparable Chevy rotor is only $25. Now were getting a strut problem fixed after 43,000 miles. After this experience, we'd be hard pressed to buy another Ford.

Junk
By puskar49 on 07/06/09 18:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Less than a year after buying this car, the transmission died. It turns out there is a design flaw with the transmission. Way to go Ford. Regardless, the car is a piece of junk. The interior is cheap and cramped and rattles like the doors are lined with ball bearings.

Best Choice for the Price
By LarryZX4SES on 03/23/09 15:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned many dozens of Fords. I traded-off a 2003 Ranger FX4 for the Focus. My wife and I test drove every make of vehicle before deciding, and the last two choices were a BMW 3 series or the Focus. The BMW was without question better in performance, handling and comfort, but not $20,000.00 better. I drive the car to work daily and average around 28-29 mpg in town. On the highway the mileage can jump to 34 mpg or better. The car is almost paying for itself on gasoline savings alone. The main selling points for me were the leg room, handling, pretty good pep especially for passing on the highway, and over all comfort. For a drive-to-work car, it has been very good.

Great 1st Car for a Teen
By Firefighter254 on 03/10/09 07:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Trying to find a reasonably proced low mileage used Honda/Toyota/Nissan is impossible, so we tried the Ford Focus and it was the best thing we could have done. We found our 2005 ZX4-SES complete with every option except leather seats for under $9300 w/tax/prep. Just a great car for a first timer like my teenage daughter- came with ABS and side air bags. Great MPG as well-she loves it ! Cjeap to run, cheap to keep and it just goes and goes and goes.

Great Little Wagon for Price!!
By Lisa Pelz on 09/27/08 19:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love this vehicle! Handles well with awesome gas mileage! Holds all of my sons sporting equipment as one of the reasons why I have purchased this vehicle. Love the sunroof and the multi disc player. I bought extra, the net for groceries and the cargo cover for the back so you can hide your valuables. Handles great! Fits me like a glove. No where to put your purse but in the back seat. Unfortunately had one accident in it and we were all safe! Awesome!

After 3 Years, Still Love It
By Mikey on 05/24/08 23:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have seen people review this car as underpowered. What did they think they were buying? It is an economy car. Duh. This is a good looking car that is fun to drive, and has a well designed interior. The car is comfortable, the steering tight, the mileage decent, and it has been very reliable. We have not had a single problem in almost three years. The noise at highway speeds is a little more than I would like, but that is my only complaint. It is easy to park because of its small size, but the interior is roomy enough. The trunk is good sized. The Pirelli tires grip great. Fit and finish is excellent.

What Happened To Ford's "Quality"?
By Jerry on 02/22/08 18:33 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The engine and transmission began presenting problems shortly after I bought the car. The engine idles rough, runs rough and stalls when stopping. When the tranny changes, especially up/down from second to third gears, it sounds like pouring a bunch of screws into a metal bucket. Now is is slow going into gear from park. I cannot recommend buying any Ford Focus.

Good Small Car Overall
By Joel from IL on 08/05/07 00:57 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I like the way this car drives. The engine is peppy and it stays glued to the road. So far, after two years this Focus has been mostly reliable. It's been to the dealer for a trunk latch and windshield wiper switch problem. All were fixed. There are just minor issues that bug me though. Compared to the 2003 we had the interior is cheap looking and plasticky. Seats are not very comfortable. The taillight bulbs burned out at exactly 2 years. Just little ways to tell Ford has cut corners. At highway speed there seems to be quite a bit of road noise which may be due to the low profile tires. The fuel economy leaves room for improvement at real world 20-23 city, and 30-32 highway.

1 2 3 4 5 next »