2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2005 Focus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Sort Reviews by

Satisfied Ford Owner
By riraho

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in December 2007 at approx. 32k miles and traded it in today at 72k miles. I found this car to be very reliable for the 7 years I had it. I had no major repairs performed over that time, only small wear and tear repairs.

Favorite Features

The car is small and compact, making it easy to move around and park. It got mid-standard gas mileage. It ran smooth and did not rattle at higher speeds. The best feature is the reliability. I always felt it would hold up and could get me from A to Z and never worried about it.

Suggested Improvements

It's no Benz, so it only came with standard furnishings. No GPS, MP3, or other niceties. The CD did stop working--there's a CD stuck in there that I'll never get back.

Richmond BC Focus
By wpgjet

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 2005 Focus in September 2005. 113,700 KMs later it is running fine. The CD player, however, is prone to failure. I have had SEVEN replacement CD players installed, under warranty. Also, the power door lock mechanism has had to be replaced twice, also under warranty. Otherwise, the car is reliable and fun to drive. No actual mechanical problems. As with any new car purchase, it is a good idea to buy the Extended Warranty, as the electronic gadgets are expensive to replace.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive good legroom for tall driver simple easy to use dashboard controls reliable

Suggested Improvements

CD player prone to failure

Great Car
By colorsendinink

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My family bought this car new in 2004, and its given us very few problems since then. After making the mistake of buying a 1996 cavalier ( died after 4 months of driving with 78000 total miles)...me and my dad made a deal where i would make the down payment on his new car, and i would get his 2005 focus. best descion i've made. since 2004, we've only replaced the brakes once, which was last year, replaced sway links, and we had a minor electrical problem with the windows. the car works great in our buffalo winters, and currently has 150,000 miles and still drives great.

Favorite Features

gas miles, good handling

Suggested Improvements

interior build quality

Great car
By Dbay

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is actually my wife's car. She bought it nearly new and has done little maintenance and received so much more in return. Just replaced factory brakes at 90,000. No major repairs to date. Handles great in the snow and gets about 34-36 mpg. We love it.

Favorite Features

MPG, reliability, large trunk

Suggested Improvements

For some reason the car doesn't have cruise control. Didn't think it was even an option not to have cruise in '05.

Fuel pump trouble
By rurba546

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used with 40,000 miles. Drove it to 45,000 and found the factory battery needed to be replaced. It also started to die when it got below 1/4 tank. I replaced the fuel filter and that seemed to help, to be safe I kept it above 1/4 tank whenever possible. A month went by and the trouble returned stranding me half way through a 150 mile trip. Turns out the fuel pump was shot as I feared. Expensive repair due to the fact that the gas tank had to be removed to get to the fuel pump. I hope this is the last major repair for awhile. I like the car a lot otherwise so far. But, doesn't come close to my last car, a 1996 Chevy Cavalier that was awesome and gave me almost no trouble!

Favorite Features

Very solid and practically built overall. Handles great. All the features one would expect in a cheap compact. Gas mileage is as expected but not amazing, low 30s on average. Easy to change oil and do other basic maintenance if elevated. Good-sized trunk. Interior and controls are decent.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel system could be a lot better. Lots of vibration and road noise. Not at all impressed with acceleration even for its size. A little tight in the front, very cramped in the backseat, even for a compact. Exterior design is ugly, but my car is black, which makes it seem not so bad.

Comfortable car, fun to drive
By WOODVILLENURSE

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car wrecked with no warranty with only 20,000 miles. Went to Alaska and back putting over 10,000 miles on it I was having trouble with it dying when I slowed down and sped up the time a bit, then the check engine light came on saying it was revved up too high. Slowed it back down, changed the brain, and every other part that has to do with smooth running, nothing helped. Now, it is skipping when I'm cruising about 50mph, I was told it might be the ignition coil, but changed them out and that wasn't the case. If anybody has any idea what the problem is, please let me know. I have thoroughly enjoyed this car and if I had it to do over again, I would buy it. It is fun to drive!

Favorite Features

Stereo controls on the steering wheel, I couldn't get my key out a couple of times and realized the little plastic thing on the shift leaver had slipped down and when I put the car back in Park and turned the key back on, I could pull the little plastic part back up next to the shift handle, fixing

Suggested Improvements

I have no improvements, other than to improve the gas mileage to 50mph, I love this car

My Best car
By laurie

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My first new car I bought was the Focus, I owned a 2003 before going right back to updrade to the 2005.This car is very easy to handle, It was excellent in the snow,just do oil changes and maintain the car and it will last forever.Drove mine till 145,000 then traded it for another one with less miles.plenty of room for long trips,love the cup holders. all the pockets for stuff. This car handles snow like a charm. I honestlyAdont have anything to say bad about this type of car, its a great price and hold up very well. like i said change oil and tires and its a charm.I WAS NEVER LEFT STRANDED OR WITH OUT A CAR WHEN I DROVE A FOCUS,I KNOW IT STARTS NOW MATTER HOW COLD IT IS, LOVE THEM

Favorite Features

cup holders, controls on the stearing wheel to change the radio.roomy trunk.great leg room up front and also in the back.Cd player is great for a factory player.Sweet looking car for the money, has excellent take off in traffic.

Suggested Improvements

better fabric on the seats, need to scotch guard them right away, they leave marks with just water.the door handles arent the best quality, they sometimes in winter feel like they will snap, but never have, i also hear the road noise in the back tires, other then that i would not change one thing...

It is almost a garbage.
By dianbo

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2005 ford focus. The plastic material is so cheap that many small parts are broken in 3 years. Comparing to my wife's corolla, it is much higher gas consuming. Now the back door remote contral failed to lock, and need spend $300 dollars to fix it. I really regret I bought it.

Favorite Features

the exteial look is good.

Suggested Improvements

too many to mention. Hope Ford try hard to improve them, otherwise, Ford could never catch those Japnese cars.

my red focus
By Berenice

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

when i first bought the car i was like its nice it looks cool its cheap , then i took it for a test drive it was a very smooth i liked it a lot

Favorite Features

it saves gas easy to drive

Suggested Improvements

they already made a new one so i guess they improved it

it is a nice car
By Memphisian

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it to replace my old Ford Escort. Now my wife drives it and I drive it during weekends. Compared to my Ford Fusion, it is noisy. That is the only thing I can complain about. Man, this car is 4,000 dollar cheaper than Ford Fusion. Can they be the same? I own it for 3 years and only the CD player had problem and it was replaced by a brand new one without cost. Believe it? This car does not need to change air filter. The gas mileage is good, it is a great economic compact car.

Favorite Features

CD / MP3 player and sound system, reliablilty, good gas mileage,; power features.

Suggested Improvements

Console can be better. I don't like the sporty steering wheel very much