Used 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Satisfied Ford Owner
By riraho

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in December 2007 at approx. 32k miles and traded it in today at 72k miles. I found this car to be very reliable for the 7 years I had it. I had no major repairs performed over that time, only small wear and tear repairs.

The car is small and compact, making it easy to move around and park. It got mid-standard gas mileage. It ran smooth and did not rattle at higher speeds. The best feature is the reliability. I always felt it would hold up and could get me from A to Z and never worried about it.

It's no Benz, so it only came with standard furnishings. No GPS, MP3, or other niceties. The CD did stop working--there's a CD stuck in there that I'll never get back.

Richmond BC Focus
By wpgjet

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 2005 Focus in September 2005. 113,700 KMs later it is running fine. The CD player, however, is prone to failure. I have had SEVEN replacement CD players installed, under warranty. Also, the power door lock mechanism has had to be replaced twice, also under warranty. Otherwise, the car is reliable and fun to drive. No actual mechanical problems. As with any new car purchase, it is a good idea to buy the Extended Warranty, as the electronic gadgets are expensive to replace.

Fun to drive good legroom for tall driver simple easy to use dashboard controls reliable

CD player prone to failure

Great Car
By colorsendinink

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My family bought this car new in 2004, and its given us very few problems since then. After making the mistake of buying a 1996 cavalier ( died after 4 months of driving with 78000 total miles)...me and my dad made a deal where i would make the down payment on his new car, and i would get his 2005 focus. best descion i've made. since 2004, we've only replaced the brakes once, which was last year, replaced sway links, and we had a minor electrical problem with the windows. the car works great in our buffalo winters, and currently has 150,000 miles and still drives great.

gas miles, good handling

interior build quality

Great car
By Dbay

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is actually my wife's car. She bought it nearly new and has done little maintenance and received so much more in return. Just replaced factory brakes at 90,000. No major repairs to date. Handles great in the snow and gets about 34-36 mpg. We love it.

MPG, reliability, large trunk

For some reason the car doesn't have cruise control. Didn't think it was even an option not to have cruise in '05.

Fuel pump trouble
By rurba546

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used with 40,000 miles. Drove it to 45,000 and found the factory battery needed to be replaced. It also started to die when it got below 1/4 tank. I replaced the fuel filter and that seemed to help, to be safe I kept it above 1/4 tank whenever possible. A month went by and the trouble returned stranding me half way through a 150 mile trip. Turns out the fuel pump was shot as I feared. Expensive repair due to the fact that the gas tank had to be removed to get to the fuel pump. I hope this is the last major repair for awhile. I like the car a lot otherwise so far. But, doesn't come close to my last car, a 1996 Chevy Cavalier that was awesome and gave me almost no trouble!

Very solid and practically built overall. Handles great. All the features one would expect in a cheap compact. Gas mileage is as expected but not amazing, low 30s on average. Easy to change oil and do other basic maintenance if elevated. Good-sized trunk. Interior and controls are decent.

Fuel system could be a lot better. Lots of vibration and road noise. Not at all impressed with acceleration even for its size. A little tight in the front, very cramped in the backseat, even for a compact. Exterior design is ugly, but my car is black, which makes it seem not so bad.