Used 2005 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Most Helpful|
Best car I ever owned
By asmaestas

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Ford Focus Sedan in 2004 with only 3500 miles. I now have 114000 miles on it. It runs like a champ. I get about 25 mpg around town 40 mpg highway. 29 mixed. Automatic. The only problem I had with it was the sway link bushings had to be replace. My Focus is strip down model, no power windows, no cruise control. I had the cruise installed else where. It's been a fantastic car! I'll drive it till wheels fall off or it gets wrecked. It's very well maintained.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage. Lots of power from bottom end to top end. Handing is outstanding. Cold air conditioning very cold!

Suggested Improvements

Better looking interior. Middle ac vents don't stay in one place.

An Often Overlooked Performer
By Michael Mo

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The ST is really a hidden gem in the Focus family. With 151 hp it's not exactly a "hot hatch" like the SVT but it's no slouch either. It's very well designed; I'm six feet tall and I have enough head/leg room, more than in some mid size cars. The front buckets are very comfortable and five years on it's been a model of reliability. In heavy city driving mileage has been about 22, not too bad given the car never feels short on power above 3000 rpm. The dash is pretty cheap, the lack of rear headrests annoys and one can't call this a quiet car. Every time I drive something else though I always miss my Focus's driving position and driver connectivity. For me that's worth the ST's minor faults.

Favorite Features

Well, the Sony audiophile system is pretty amazing for just four speakers and a sub. Even more than that is just the way the ST drives; no play in the steering; direct pedals; pretty terrific handling if a tad harsh plus a reasonable amount of power. Gets a surprising number of compliments too.

Suggested Improvements

The gear ratios are just too short for this engine. To keep revs at comfortable levels one has to think about shifting out of first by 15 mph, which seems awfully soon to me. Highway speed in 5th runs 2800 rpm, really needs a 6th cog. That would also help the economy. Wheels are too plain for an ST.

Richmond BC Focus
By wpgjet

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 2005 Focus in September 2005. 113,700 KMs later it is running fine. The CD player, however, is prone to failure. I have had SEVEN replacement CD players installed, under warranty. Also, the power door lock mechanism has had to be replaced twice, also under warranty. Otherwise, the car is reliable and fun to drive. No actual mechanical problems. As with any new car purchase, it is a good idea to buy the Extended Warranty, as the electronic gadgets are expensive to replace.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive good legroom for tall driver simple easy to use dashboard controls reliable

Suggested Improvements

CD player prone to failure

Satisfied Ford Owner
By riraho

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in December 2007 at approx. 32k miles and traded it in today at 72k miles. I found this car to be very reliable for the 7 years I had it. I had no major repairs performed over that time, only small wear and tear repairs.

Favorite Features

The car is small and compact, making it easy to move around and park. It got mid-standard gas mileage. It ran smooth and did not rattle at higher speeds. The best feature is the reliability. I always felt it would hold up and could get me from A to Z and never worried about it.

Suggested Improvements

It's no Benz, so it only came with standard furnishings. No GPS, MP3, or other niceties. The CD did stop working--there's a CD stuck in there that I'll never get back.

safe and reliable
By mesm

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got into a head on collision with a drunk driver in a GMC Yukon while driving my '05 Ford Focus and walked away with nothing but whiplash and a few cuts and bruises. The entire front of the car was flattened, but all of the built in safety features worked and saved both mine and my passenger's lives. In another car, we could have easily died. The gas mileage could have been better, but this is a great car if you're looking for something safe, reliable, and sturdy.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Slow pickup, poor gas mileage