Used 2005 Ford Focus ZX5 SES Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Key stuck in ignition
By rebel5386

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is an awesome car. I love it. I have 63000 on it, bought it with 35000. I just now had to replace the breaks and a tail light. However, my key won't come out. Its the ignition tumbler, and ford wants 300 at least to fix it. I don't suppose someone knows a way around this? I love this car, its so much fun, I paid too much at the time, but it has been so worth it. I just hate that I can't get my key out. The car starts fine, and turns off fine, its just that the key wont come out. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

I love how little gas it uses, its sporty look and that for a little four cylinder, it really moves!

Why does it have to have so many sensors? Why does a key need a sensor?

Focus on the MPG
By JOL

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I initially purchased the car while in the service in Guam back in 2005, and drove it less than 5,000 miles my first 3 years. Now that I'm back in the states, I get to see just how the ZX5 really nandles. I had to replace the original dealership tires at 16,000 miles, otherwise, it runs like a gem. I drove it from Houston to Dallas last week, and still had a quarter tank left when I got there. So, I drove on that 1/4 of gas back to Houston. You do the math. And yes, the AC was on.

The gas mileage has to be my favorite feature, it's impressive to say the least. The Cobalt blue color also caught our attention, we love that color. The ZX5 hatchback feature is a major plus, which makes loading groceries, toys, or other goods easier.

I have to agree with a previous blogger, a center console with cup holders would be better than having them tucked down under the CD player.

2005 Focus
By Robo

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I leased this car for 3 years. It has been pretty reliable and is good balance between practical and fun. Manual transmission gives good mileage (30mpg mostly highway). Engine has decent power, except when the A/C is on. Road noise is loud. Ride is stiff, but comfortable. Reliability is average. I have had an ABS issue, and a tank/gas cap seal problem. Both covered under warranty. I will warn that I have had major annoyance with engine starting. Sometimes it doesn't start right away and this has happened since I bought the car. It has gotten worse and dealership claims it is a flaw with engine design (this is from Ford, not the dealership)

Good gas mileage. Lots of cargo space. Love the hatchback with folding rear seats. I can't believe they got rid of the hatchback for 2008! Big mistake.

Ford should be proactive fixing design flaws. It's unacceptable to leave problems unfixed claiming they are design flaws (this is a Ford problem not just the dealership).

Missing my Escort
By Escort

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Interesting drive. At first I thought it will roll-over at cornering, but got used to it. For this particular car they should eliminate the word "economy" in "fuel economy": 22.4 mpg on the highway, 20.5 mpg in town. My Escort was close to 40 mpg. Dealer just doesn't want to fix it.

Color, style, steering wheel, rear bench becomes a nice platform.

Engine: improve it by replacing it entirely. Visibility: I'm tall and cannot really see the traffic lights while stopped at one. Steering wheel should telescope at least twice more.

Excellent Car
By Dan

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Focus as a supplemental car to my Ford Ranger. It is probably the best investment I could have made to run around in. I would definitely recommend this car.

Traction control and power moonroof.

None.