2005 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Key stuck in ignition
By rebel5386 on 08/06/09 09:43 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is an awesome car. I love it. I have 63000 on it, bought it with 35000. I just now had to replace the breaks and a tail light. However, my key won't come out. Its the ignition tumbler, and ford wants 300 at least to fix it. I don't suppose someone knows a way around this? I love this car, its so much fun, I paid too much at the time, but it has been so worth it. I just hate that I can't get my key out. The car starts fine, and turns off fine, its just that the key wont come out. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Focus on the MPG
By JOL on 11/14/08 08:35 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I initially purchased the car while in the service in Guam back in 2005, and drove it less than 5,000 miles my first 3 years. Now that I'm back in the states, I get to see just how the ZX5 really nandles. I had to replace the original dealership tires at 16,000 miles, otherwise, it runs like a gem. I drove it from Houston to Dallas last week, and still had a quarter tank left when I got there. So, I drove on that 1/4 of gas back to Houston. You do the math. And yes, the AC was on.

2005 Focus
By Robo on 04/11/08 17:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I leased this car for 3 years. It has been pretty reliable and is good balance between practical and fun. Manual transmission gives good mileage (30mpg mostly highway). Engine has decent power, except when the A/C is on. Road noise is loud. Ride is stiff, but comfortable. Reliability is average. I have had an ABS issue, and a tank/gas cap seal problem. Both covered under warranty. I will warn that I have had major annoyance with engine starting. Sometimes it doesn't start right away and this has happened since I bought the car. It has gotten worse and dealership claims it is a flaw with engine design (this is from Ford, not the dealership)

Missing my Escort
By Escort on 12/14/05 20:27 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Interesting drive. At first I thought it will roll-over at cornering, but got used to it. For this particular car they should eliminate the word "economy" in "fuel economy": 22.4 mpg on the highway, 20.5 mpg in town. My Escort was close to 40 mpg. Dealer just doesn't want to fix it.

Excellent Car
By Dan on 12/05/05 11:25 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Focus as a supplemental car to my Ford Ranger. It is probably the best investment I could have made to run around in. I would definitely recommend this car.

So-so
By John Doe on 08/31/05 11:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm a bit disappointed at its performance and fuel economy. I have a full-size sedan which is thriftier and performs much better. The fit and finish inside is much better than outside, where panels don't line up neatly and some stamped parts are not even. The paint is good though. Although the steering wheel provides telescoping besides tilting, it should telescope farther. At 6'5", I find the feet position uncomfortable. Yet, it's got a hard-to-beat price.

Focus plus
By Bleke on 08/08/05 13:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great for starter car for students. Carries 5 people (good for carpooling) and has plenty of room for equipment if your child plays sports.

Fun to drive little car.
By Jason O'Neal on 05/27/05 20:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Went from a '03 ZTS to an '05 ZX5 SES And I love it! This car feels so much more powerful than the '03. Very roomy with a number of options (like a moon roof, heated leather seats, a 500 watt Sony stereo ext.) The ride is very smooth and it drives like a dream. I'm still getting used to the new styling inside and out, but I love this car. Just wish the the 2.3's were a option on all models, not just the ST's A very good small car.

My Yellow Focus
By djroeder on 04/28/05 02:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Ford Focus is a looker! I have a bright yellow Focus and I have people of all ages looking at it. I love to drive it as it is a fun car to drive. It stays on the road well and handles curves well. I drive on the highway most of the time and it holds its own there also. If I was going to complain about something it would be the paint job. I don't think it holds up well; it scratches easily. Also, I have had to have 3 lug nut covers replaced as they fall off after having the tires rotated. I would also like just an inch or two more room in the back seat leg area.

Focus ZX3 For Me!
By Debbie on 04/27/05 23:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car! It's the most reliable US made car I have ever owned. It's fun to drive, handles well and is great even in snow. My next car will also be a Focus. Can't beat the gas mileage with the gas prices today. And it is practically maintenance free.