Used 2005 Ford Focus ZX5 SE Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Versitile Economy.
By Devon Nelson

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 05 ZX5 back in 2013 with 76k on the clock, it now has 93k and nothing major has gone wrong.The worst problem being the driver side rear door lock going out, I bought a used part and replaced it myself. I wish the fuel economy was better I seem to get 28mpg max but other then that the hatch has allowed me to haul big items and 4 doors make passengers getting in easier. My friend got a brand new Fiesta ST and its a pain to get in and out of and the car feels downright claustrophobic despite being a great deal faster. The Focus is a great used car bargain.

My first car
By Taylor

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first car that I paid for myself. I bought it used for $7,000 at 120,000 miles. It was previously owned by the son of the car dealership owner so it's basically still in brand new condition. I've now had it for 3 years. I've had to replace the alternator and battery and a part for the fan vents. It sticks and the cheap plastic piece broke so I couldn't use defrost because it was stuck on front vents. The interior is pretty much 100% cheap plastic and everything rattles and makes quite a bit of noise when driving, however, the car has never NOT gotten me where I need to go. On top of that, I love the fact that it has 5 cup holders. I also had the chance to test drive one of the newer Focus models back when I bought this car 3 years ago and noticed that the visibility in the 2005 was actually better in my opinion.

Bang for your buck
By dumbblonde8

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car because my family has always bought Fords, and I have been impressed with it 4 years later. It's a dream for maintenance. I've NEVER had to had anything major done to it, just the oil and filters changed. I rallied the crap out of it too and nothing has happened. I hadn't gotten a wheel alignment since I bought the thing and just recently got one (yeah, been kinda broke lol) and it was BARELY out of alignment. Doing home maintenance on it is so easy a caveman can do it. The Hatchback gives plenty of room. All in all a very sporty car. HIGHLY recommend.

Parts are built to last. I've never had to change out the spark plugs or the air filter because the ones in them right now are meant to last for a very long time. It also likes to hold itself to the pavement when I'm hauling on tight corners. :D Very tight steering.

More accessories for it. I can never find aftermarket stuff for it! It's all for the ugly '00-'04 models.

Regret Selling It!!
By Diaur

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Focus ZX5 brand new in May 2005. It was such a fun and sporty car. It is excellent drive and has great fuel economy. I sold the car to CarMax in 2007 as I bought another car. It is one of the worst decisions I've made in my life! I regret selling it!

Hatchback design Easy on the wallet and great on fun

None!

Great American car!
By Very good choice!

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 05 Focus in 06. I have put almost 100,000 miles on it with no major problems.I did have to replace the rack and pinion and wheels after hitting a very bad pot hole (Michigan...)Ford did have to replace the CD player twice, but no problems since it was out of warranty. Drives and handles very nicely. Comfortable and roomy interior for a compact. Great mileage. I average 30 in the city. This is an outstanding vehicle for it's class and price. Good design well worth every penny which is more than can be said for most cars.

Driving performance, Gas mileage, Comfortable and durable seats, Gas mileage and price.

A little quieter on the rd and improved ride (can feel the bumps in the road a little more than larger cars)