Used 2005 Ford Focus ZX5 SE Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Bang for your buck
By dumbblonde8

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car because my family has always bought Fords, and I have been impressed with it 4 years later. It's a dream for maintenance. I've NEVER had to had anything major done to it, just the oil and filters changed. I rallied the crap out of it too and nothing has happened. I hadn't gotten a wheel alignment since I bought the thing and just recently got one (yeah, been kinda broke lol) and it was BARELY out of alignment. Doing home maintenance on it is so easy a caveman can do it. The Hatchback gives plenty of room. All in all a very sporty car. HIGHLY recommend.

Favorite Features

Parts are built to last. I've never had to change out the spark plugs or the air filter because the ones in them right now are meant to last for a very long time. It also likes to hold itself to the pavement when I'm hauling on tight corners. :D Very tight steering.

Suggested Improvements

More accessories for it. I can never find aftermarket stuff for it! It's all for the ugly '00-'04 models.

Regret Selling It!!
By Diaur

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Focus ZX5 brand new in May 2005. It was such a fun and sporty car. It is excellent drive and has great fuel economy. I sold the car to CarMax in 2007 as I bought another car. It is one of the worst decisions I've made in my life! I regret selling it!

Favorite Features

Hatchback design Easy on the wallet and great on fun

Suggested Improvements

None!

Great American car!
By Very good choice!

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 05 Focus in 06. I have put almost 100,000 miles on it with no major problems.I did have to replace the rack and pinion and wheels after hitting a very bad pot hole (Michigan...)Ford did have to replace the CD player twice, but no problems since it was out of warranty. Drives and handles very nicely. Comfortable and roomy interior for a compact. Great mileage. I average 30 in the city. This is an outstanding vehicle for it's class and price. Good design well worth every penny which is more than can be said for most cars.

Favorite Features

Driving performance, Gas mileage, Comfortable and durable seats, Gas mileage and price.

Suggested Improvements

A little quieter on the rd and improved ride (can feel the bumps in the road a little more than larger cars)

Love the 5 door hatchback for hauling
By CJ

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just adore the 5 door hatchback. I can move most anything, yet it is a classy car and much bigger on the inside than it seems. Great mileage and reliability with over 50K on engine. With the rear lights being so large yet sleek, I never worry about tailgaters anymore. They either stay back or go around once you hit them a couple times. Only problem is the additional CD holder handle broke on me.

Favorite Features

Mileage and rear lights stop tailgaters. Plus it handles like a top and was "car something of the year."

Suggested Improvements

Handle on additional CD holder. I manhandled it thinking it was the trunk release and tore off the handle. I would suggest a pushbutton or something not so easy to break.

2005 Focus
By sgallagh

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Not impressed with the cheap tires I had to replace after 25,000 miles. Brakes have been replaced twice within first two years. Just took it in for it's 30,000 mile maintenance and had to pay $600 for the parts and labor. Seems like I'm always needing to take it in to have somthing checked out whether it's alignment or brakes. For a car that was rated well by Consumer Reports, I am not all that impressed by the Focus. I was hesitant to buy a Ford but took the chance. Not sure I'm happy I did. The "fun" aspects of the car don't make up for it's flaws.

Favorite Features

I like my ZX5 hatchback. It's great for taking my dog in the car. The stereo upgrade I have is also nice, as is the stereo control on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

I don't like the cupholders. They are difficult to put tall cups in. The ride is noisy too, which makes talking and listening to music difficult. The A/C isn't that great and neither is the mileage.