2005 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Average car, but will not buy again
By magastratus on 07/10/12 17:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2007 with 30k miles, and had to replace transmission before it hit 70k; set me back about $1200. Previous reviews about the interior being especially noisy are accurate. Gas mileage is lower than what I expected. A lot of minor things go wrong with this car. The vent selector switch broke, so it is stuck on blowing air on my feet. I have yet to get this fixed, so I am uncertain what it will cost. Armrest was also flimsy and broke within 6 months. It also takes a very long time to warm up during the winter, and will sometimes have issues starting cold. It will always eventually start, but not without some hassle. Not terrible, but buy something better if you have the $$.

Enjoyable Drive
By al on 10/30/09 21:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall very pleased with my purchase. When looking to buy any model or year of focus be sure to check condition of bottom of doors interior and exterior especially behind rubber gasket that ford loves to use on all focuses. I didn't and was later surprised by the corrosion I found. Consellation is it's relatively minimal and can fix it myself. Ford will not warranty the corrosion even though it's clearly a design flaw. Common problem with the focus according to reviews all over the internet.

Horrible car!!
By orionmomof3 on 07/24/09 09:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new! Within a year my transmission went out, clutch, clutch cylinder and my front axle broke!! I never drove it rough never got in an accident nothing! It was in the shop for two months!!! got it back two weeks later my clutch transmission was out again! I got tired of waiting and bought a four door 07 focus....all of them are horrible!! door handle has broken off, cant use the key to the trunk, my alternator broke....mind you both were brand new!!!!! Ford is horrible and I will never buy from them again!!!!!!

great car
By MH on 04/11/09 05:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We love the hatchback, but there's more to love, too. Very zippy, even with the automatic, yet pretty good fuel economy. Good road feel and handling. Small footprint with plenty of interior space and decent backseat room. My husband is tall and I'm not, but we both feel comfortable driving. Very reliable. Really like the keyless entry.

Great car and more room than you think..
By SnoProG on 01/08/09 20:13 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drive a good bit for work and this car fit the bill, litterally. I get 31- 32 mpg all highway and average about 26 mixed, and as low as 20 in city, winter driving where I sometimes park for a coffee and leave the motor running with the heat on. The motor is no slouch; and I've owned SVT Lightnings. I have absolutely no complaints, save two. I bought this car from a senior in Florida to use in Michigan. The problems are the driver door window seal at the bottom fusing to the glass so that I can't roll the window down and have to use a credit card to separate the rubber from the glass. It happens quite a bit. The other is the washer fluid lines freezing up in below zero weather. I'll survive.

Love it!
By Rileigh on 07/15/08 01:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my first Focus in 2001 and loved it! So when that got totalled in January 2005, I knew I wanted another Focus. The color choices stunk that year, but my new one has lots of great, new features that I love. I am very happy with it!

Focus Rally Car!
By focuszombie on 06/28/08 18:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Focus seems to take a beating in the reviews, but mine has been pretty much what I expected. I bought it used (lease return) and it was cheap transpo. Maintenance? I've replaced brake pads once (I'm at 42K miles), tires once, and done oil changes. That's it. Not bad. Resale value? Holding its own with current gas prices. I downsized from a Ranger 4x4 the Focus is like driving a sports car to me. Mountain roads are more fun and the road trip to Trona where my Focus left a Toyota PreRunner 2 miles in the dust on desert dirt roads, now that was a blast! Ford, why'd you kill the hatchback? Hatchbacks rule for small car utility and capacity. Bring it back! Yeah, I like mine!

Watch Out!
By Matt on 02/01/07 13:58 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2004 to replace my ailing 94 S-10 with 240k miles. I am less than happy with my car. Things that went wrong under warranty. CD Player - dead within weeks, replaced. Heater Core - dead within 18 months and leaked all over interior. Replaced part but not interior. Wobbling - found no problems, but I paid to rebalance, still wobbles. Unfixed issues - starting, the car just sometimes will not start. AC - varies from cold to warm randomly. Interior stinks, as one person mentioned "rattlebox". Engine seems loud, and I've been told it's just injector pulse. Interior can get loud on highway. Currently, blower on level 3 does not work. No leg room, tilt wheel stinks.

1 year of good time
By Alex on 06/20/06 13:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new for $12000 ,3 door hatch, SE with sport package (fog lights, leather steering wheel, aluminum wheels, arm rest). I wanted to buy quick, so I took the best hatch they had that time. Unfortunately my car doesn't have tilt wheel and cruise control. I survive without both but still want them. The only thing which calms me down - Focus steering wheel tilt isn't enough anyway. Oh yes, and the cruise control could be dangerous.:) I had one problem over the year - my car started to move while in Park. It was fixed under the warranty but took 2 weeks to complete. I had a loaner for these 2 weeks. I made several long trips in any weather conditions. Noise level is low, seats are ok, power is adequate.

After a year of driving
By Olympia, WA on 04/11/06 22:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Really a great car for a 5-speed manual. I drive 30 miles each way to and from work. Handles great on the freeway as well as in town in those hard to park spots.