Used 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Average car, but will not buy again
By magastratus

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2007 with 30k miles, and had to replace transmission before it hit 70k; set me back about $1200. Previous reviews about the interior being especially noisy are accurate. Gas mileage is lower than what I expected. A lot of minor things go wrong with this car. The vent selector switch broke, so it is stuck on blowing air on my feet. I have yet to get this fixed, so I am uncertain what it will cost. Armrest was also flimsy and broke within 6 months. It also takes a very long time to warm up during the winter, and will sometimes have issues starting cold. It will always eventually start, but not without some hassle. Not terrible, but buy something better if you have the $$.

Enjoyable Drive
By al

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall very pleased with my purchase. When looking to buy any model or year of focus be sure to check condition of bottom of doors interior and exterior especially behind rubber gasket that ford loves to use on all focuses. I didn't and was later surprised by the corrosion I found. Consellation is it's relatively minimal and can fix it myself. Ford will not warranty the corrosion even though it's clearly a design flaw. Common problem with the focus according to reviews all over the internet.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, gear box, responsiveness handling.

Suggested Improvements

Corrosion issue behind rubber molding used on bottom of doors. This is clearly a design flaw.

Horrible car!!
By orionmomof3

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new! Within a year my transmission went out, clutch, clutch cylinder and my front axle broke!! I never drove it rough never got in an accident nothing! It was in the shop for two months!!! got it back two weeks later my clutch transmission was out again! I got tired of waiting and bought a four door 07 focus....all of them are horrible!! door handle has broken off, cant use the key to the trunk, my alternator broke....mind you both were brand new!!!!! Ford is horrible and I will never buy from them again!!!!!!

Favorite Features

NONE the seats stain horribly even with water on the seats!!

great car
By MH

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We love the hatchback, but there's more to love, too. Very zippy, even with the automatic, yet pretty good fuel economy. Good road feel and handling. Small footprint with plenty of interior space and decent backseat room. My husband is tall and I'm not, but we both feel comfortable driving. Very reliable. Really like the keyless entry.

Favorite Features

Hatchback, airbags, fuel economy, handling, acceleration, worry-free.

Suggested Improvements

It does have a little rattle in the glove box when the weather is cold. Would like better back support in the front seats. Would really love this as a hybrid!

Great car and more room than you think..
By SnoProG

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drive a good bit for work and this car fit the bill, litterally. I get 31- 32 mpg all highway and average about 26 mixed, and as low as 20 in city, winter driving where I sometimes park for a coffee and leave the motor running with the heat on. The motor is no slouch; and I've owned SVT Lightnings. I have absolutely no complaints, save two. I bought this car from a senior in Florida to use in Michigan. The problems are the driver door window seal at the bottom fusing to the glass so that I can't roll the window down and have to use a credit card to separate the rubber from the glass. It happens quite a bit. The other is the washer fluid lines freezing up in below zero weather. I'll survive.

Favorite Features

Cup holders in the center console and doors. I can fit there soda bottles in each door. I also really like the little side bins in the back seat area. The zippy 2.0 engine is not bad at all. All around visibility via the mirrors. The larger than you would expect rear seat room. Power hatch release.

Suggested Improvements

Make the telescoping steering wheel adjust out further by at least 1.5 inches. All the driver seat to fully recline. Driver dead pedal.