Used 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

205,000 miles and climbing
By Nate Marialke

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 12,000 miles on it in 2006. I now have 205,000 miles and have had no major mechanical issues! I did re do shocks and struts a couple times and I did replace the tie rod ends and axle shafts. (Michigan winters are hard on any car). Other than that the trans and engine are solid. Shifts great, no leaks, drives very well.
My only complaint is the road noise and interior started vibrating at around 150000 miles. But it is an inexpensive car and I plan on driving for 3 more years. You can't go wrong with a focus for the money.

Average car, but will not buy again
By magastratus

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2007 with 30k miles, and had to replace transmission before it hit 70k; set me back about $1200. Previous reviews about the interior being especially noisy are accurate. Gas mileage is lower than what I expected. A lot of minor things go wrong with this car. The vent selector switch broke, so it is stuck on blowing air on my feet. I have yet to get this fixed, so I am uncertain what it will cost. Armrest was also flimsy and broke within 6 months. It also takes a very long time to warm up during the winter, and will sometimes have issues starting cold. It will always eventually start, but not without some hassle. Not terrible, but buy something better if you have the $$.

Enjoyable Drive
By al

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall very pleased with my purchase. When looking to buy any model or year of focus be sure to check condition of bottom of doors interior and exterior especially behind rubber gasket that ford loves to use on all focuses. I didn't and was later surprised by the corrosion I found. Consellation is it's relatively minimal and can fix it myself. Ford will not warranty the corrosion even though it's clearly a design flaw. Common problem with the focus according to reviews all over the internet.

Smooth ride, gear box, responsiveness handling.

Corrosion issue behind rubber molding used on bottom of doors. This is clearly a design flaw.

Horrible car!!
By orionmomof3

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new! Within a year my transmission went out, clutch, clutch cylinder and my front axle broke!! I never drove it rough never got in an accident nothing! It was in the shop for two months!!! got it back two weeks later my clutch transmission was out again! I got tired of waiting and bought a four door 07 focus....all of them are horrible!! door handle has broken off, cant use the key to the trunk, my alternator broke....mind you both were brand new!!!!! Ford is horrible and I will never buy from them again!!!!!!

NONE the seats stain horribly even with water on the seats!!

great car
By MH

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We love the hatchback, but there's more to love, too. Very zippy, even with the automatic, yet pretty good fuel economy. Good road feel and handling. Small footprint with plenty of interior space and decent backseat room. My husband is tall and I'm not, but we both feel comfortable driving. Very reliable. Really like the keyless entry.

Hatchback, airbags, fuel economy, handling, acceleration, worry-free.

It does have a little rattle in the glove box when the weather is cold. Would like better back support in the front seats. Would really love this as a hybrid!