2005 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Average car, but will not buy again
By magastratus on 07/10/12 17:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2007 with 30k miles, and had to replace transmission before it hit 70k; set me back about $1200. Previous reviews about the interior being especially noisy are accurate. Gas mileage is lower than what I expected. A lot of minor things go wrong with this car. The vent selector switch broke, so it is stuck on blowing air on my feet. I have yet to get this fixed, so I am uncertain what it will cost. Armrest was also flimsy and broke within 6 months. It also takes a very long time to warm up during the winter, and will sometimes have issues starting cold. It will always eventually start, but not without some hassle. Not terrible, but buy something better if you have the $$.

Bang for your buck
By dumbblonde8 on 08/21/10 15:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car because my family has always bought Fords, and I have been impressed with it 4 years later. It's a dream for maintenance. I've NEVER had to had anything major done to it, just the oil and filters changed. I rallied the crap out of it too and nothing has happened. I hadn't gotten a wheel alignment since I bought the thing and just recently got one (yeah, been kinda broke lol) and it was BARELY out of alignment. Doing home maintenance on it is so easy a caveman can do it. The Hatchback gives plenty of room. All in all a very sporty car. HIGHLY recommend.

Regret Selling It!!
By Diaur on 02/23/10 08:34 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Focus ZX5 brand new in May 2005. It was such a fun and sporty car. It is excellent drive and has great fuel economy. I sold the car to CarMax in 2007 as I bought another car. It is one of the worst decisions I've made in my life! I regret selling it!

More than expected
By CAFFN8D on 01/12/10 09:23 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

With the understanding that the Focus was an econobox, I purchased one new from dealer in summer of '05. After 4+ years ownership, it has performed without fail and has proven itself to be a very capable daily commuter, with occasional weekend duties as a hauler. I drive 45+ miles daily, and feel quite comfortable with the amenities it has. I especially enjoy the small footprint yet torquey responsive engine. I can zip easily throughout traffic, yet blend in as necessary. The hauling capacity is quite surprising for such a small car on the exterior. People at my landfill have expressed their amazement at how much I can fit in the back. It's very durable and capable - I recommend it.

Enjoyable Drive
By al on 10/30/09 21:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall very pleased with my purchase. When looking to buy any model or year of focus be sure to check condition of bottom of doors interior and exterior especially behind rubber gasket that ford loves to use on all focuses. I didn't and was later surprised by the corrosion I found. Consellation is it's relatively minimal and can fix it myself. Ford will not warranty the corrosion even though it's clearly a design flaw. Common problem with the focus according to reviews all over the internet.

Great American car!
By Very good choice! on 09/17/09 08:56 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 05 Focus in 06. I have put almost 100,000 miles on it with no major problems.I did have to replace the rack and pinion and wheels after hitting a very bad pot hole (Michigan...)Ford did have to replace the CD player twice, but no problems since it was out of warranty. Drives and handles very nicely. Comfortable and roomy interior for a compact. Great mileage. I average 30 in the city. This is an outstanding vehicle for it's class and price. Good design well worth every penny which is more than can be said for most cars.

Key stuck in ignition
By rebel5386 on 08/06/09 09:43 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is an awesome car. I love it. I have 63000 on it, bought it with 35000. I just now had to replace the breaks and a tail light. However, my key won't come out. Its the ignition tumbler, and ford wants 300 at least to fix it. I don't suppose someone knows a way around this? I love this car, its so much fun, I paid too much at the time, but it has been so worth it. I just hate that I can't get my key out. The car starts fine, and turns off fine, its just that the key wont come out. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Horrible car!!
By orionmomof3 on 07/24/09 09:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new! Within a year my transmission went out, clutch, clutch cylinder and my front axle broke!! I never drove it rough never got in an accident nothing! It was in the shop for two months!!! got it back two weeks later my clutch transmission was out again! I got tired of waiting and bought a four door 07 focus....all of them are horrible!! door handle has broken off, cant use the key to the trunk, my alternator broke....mind you both were brand new!!!!! Ford is horrible and I will never buy from them again!!!!!!

great car
By MH on 04/11/09 05:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We love the hatchback, but there's more to love, too. Very zippy, even with the automatic, yet pretty good fuel economy. Good road feel and handling. Small footprint with plenty of interior space and decent backseat room. My husband is tall and I'm not, but we both feel comfortable driving. Very reliable. Really like the keyless entry.

Great car and more room than you think..
By SnoProG on 01/08/09 20:13 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drive a good bit for work and this car fit the bill, litterally. I get 31- 32 mpg all highway and average about 26 mixed, and as low as 20 in city, winter driving where I sometimes park for a coffee and leave the motor running with the heat on. The motor is no slouch; and I've owned SVT Lightnings. I have absolutely no complaints, save two. I bought this car from a senior in Florida to use in Michigan. The problems are the driver door window seal at the bottom fusing to the glass so that I can't roll the window down and have to use a credit card to separate the rubber from the glass. It happens quite a bit. The other is the washer fluid lines freezing up in below zero weather. I'll survive.