Used 2005 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

271k and climbing daily
By Jake

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Base model crank windows no power locks car was bought new with 20 miles on it and has been driven on an hour and a half commute to work each way for the past 12 years. Car has 271k original clutch, starter, water pump, alternator, motor has never been opened for repairs. Royal purple oil its whole life and it still doesnt burn any. Has gotten brakes, struts, and an axle seal. Great car interior is junk but it was 12k new so of course it is

205,000 miles and climbing
By Nate Marialke

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 12,000 miles on it in 2006. I now have 205,000 miles and have had no major mechanical issues! I did re do shocks and struts a couple times and I did replace the tie rod ends and axle shafts. (Michigan winters are hard on any car). Other than that the trans and engine are solid. Shifts great, no leaks, drives very well.
My only complaint is the road noise and interior started vibrating at around 150000 miles. But it is an inexpensive car and I plan on driving for 3 more years. You can't go wrong with a focus for the money.

Electrical system sucks
By Terry

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car used. The battery light came on intermittently. The dome lights and signals would go on for no reason in the middle of the night. I went through 3 batteries in less than 5 years. The electrical issues became worse as time progressed. It was determined that the "cluster" was bad. There was an unidentifiable drain on the battery that got to the point that a brand new battery was burnt out in a matter of months. When a new battery was installed, the car was dead the next morning. Getting rid of the ghost in the electrical system would be a costly repair -- more than the car is worth. My mechanic found that these cars are notorious for electrical/cluster problems.

Versitile Economy.
By Devon Nelson

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 05 ZX5 back in 2013 with 76k on the clock, it now has 93k and nothing major has gone wrong.The worst problem being the driver side rear door lock going out, I bought a used part and replaced it myself. I wish the fuel economy was better I seem to get 28mpg max but other then that the hatch has allowed me to haul big items and 4 doors make passengers getting in easier. My friend got a brand new Fiesta ST and its a pain to get in and out of and the car feels downright claustrophobic despite being a great deal faster. The Focus is a great used car bargain.

My first car
By Taylor

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first car that I paid for myself. I bought it used for $7,000 at 120,000 miles. It was previously owned by the son of the car dealership owner so it's basically still in brand new condition. I've now had it for 3 years. I've had to replace the alternator and battery and a part for the fan vents. It sticks and the cheap plastic piece broke so I couldn't use defrost because it was stuck on front vents. The interior is pretty much 100% cheap plastic and everything rattles and makes quite a bit of noise when driving, however, the car has never NOT gotten me where I need to go. On top of that, I love the fact that it has 5 cup holders. I also had the chance to test drive one of the newer Focus models back when I bought this car 3 years ago and noticed that the visibility in the 2005 was actually better in my opinion.