Used 2005 Ford Focus ZXW SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

not bad so far
By Craig

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am the 3rd owner of this Focus wagon and bought it for mpg and interior space. Best mileage was 34 hwy and worst was 22 city mpg. I average about 27 mpg. Only problem was a rear door latch failed which was recalled and inspected long before I bought it. Ford refused to reimburse me and it cost me $350 to have it replaced. There are a few interior rattles, especially in winter.

mpg, interior room, handling

use more rubber or foam to eliminate some rattles

Believe
By Believer

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this wagon used with 32000 miles. It has 52k now. Really a great car for the $$. Maintenance is a breeze, very accessable oil filter, I hand screw on and off. Get 32-34 mpg hwy and 24-26 city. Wagon is great for hauling stuff, I could sleep in if economy totaly folds ;-) It's like a mini minivan/suv that gets 30+ mpg on hwy. Around town easy to park. Don't understand the bad reviews from others but they had bad experiences....I had a 1991 escort before this.....got 200,000 miles on it, and it was still running great when I traded in on this Focus.....Ford is the leader in Europe and Brazil on Fuel effeciency and they sell tons in those countries. I'm a believer.

Fold down rear seat for tons of hauling room, AC blow ice all the time and in Florida you need it. 32/25 mpg great these days and easy of maintenance also great! Cup holders, top luggage rack, 6 CD changer and cruise control all fantastic!

Speakers kind of stink but they're factory.....may replace, other than that I can't believe they stopped making this wagon in 07' Need cheap transportation? Get one.

Stick to Imports
By may

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this was my first new vehicle. in less than 2 weeks it was in service. then it was in service every other week for one issue or another. my personal vehicle was in service for a rattling noise in rear area; transmission probs; rear hatch not locking; dome light turning on whenever it felt like it... i wont go into my experience with the service department. in short, my car was back at the dealership longer than me driving. filed lemon lawsuit; ford could not buy back- so they issued a settlement check. although it is a spacious vehicle, do not buy- resale value blows; not to mention reliability. if you do buy, make sure you get gap insurance!! many service depts still cant fix hatch probs.

radio controls on steering wheel; space/ roomy.

make; build; transmission; get rid of the loud relay for the turnsignal; reliability. need i say more.

Thinks it's a Sports car!
By Antarababe

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I downsized from my much-loved 2000 Explorer for the fuel economy. And though it doesn't seem to get the 35mpg as promised - it sure is fun to drive. Not the least bit sluggish for a 4 cylinder. Fast out of a start, feels like rack & pinion steering, doesn't hesitate to go up hills. Holds everything my SUV did and then some. Perfect car for a single, self- employed, travel-loving, antique addict. And it'll be light enough to tow when I get that retirement motor home.

I like how peppy it is. And the room for hauling things. Including family.

I need someplace to throw my change. Miss the ashtray. Bigger console between the seats.

Life with a Focus
By Jersey Dave

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Focus wagon with automatic transmission has a lot of good qualities. It's spunky, offers great driving visibility and has lots of storage room. Little things like the theater lighting are also nice. But, I'm not very pleased with around- town gas mileage in the very low 20's. A 2005 car with a 2.0 liter engine, even with an auto transmission, should do a lot better than that. (My '94 Geo Prizm still gets 25-26 around town). And, I really don't like the European suspension. In New Jersey, we have way too many streets and highways that are in pretty poor condition. I really have fears that my Focus with get beaten or shaken to death way before its time.

I like the smooth, spunky engine and the great storage room in back.

Gas mileage is way too low and the European suspension should to left to cars in Europe.