2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
not bad so far
By Craig on 01/05/10 11:55 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am the 3rd owner of this Focus wagon and bought it for mpg and interior space. Best mileage was 34 hwy and worst was 22 city mpg. I average about 27 mpg. Only problem was a rear door latch failed which was recalled and inspected long before I bought it. Ford refused to reimburse me and it cost me $350 to have it replaced. There are a few interior rattles, especially in winter.

Believe
By Believer on 10/17/09 08:57 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this wagon used with 32000 miles. It has 52k now. Really a great car for the $$. Maintenance is a breeze, very accessable oil filter, I hand screw on and off. Get 32-34 mpg hwy and 24-26 city. Wagon is great for hauling stuff, I could sleep in if economy totaly folds ;-) It's like a mini minivan/suv that gets 30+ mpg on hwy. Around town easy to park. Don't understand the bad reviews from others but they had bad experiences....I had a 1991 escort before this.....got 200,000 miles on it, and it was still running great when I traded in on this Focus.....Ford is the leader in Europe and Brazil on Fuel effeciency and they sell tons in those countries. I'm a believer.

Stick to Imports
By may on 11/06/07 11:20 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this was my first new vehicle. in less than 2 weeks it was in service. then it was in service every other week for one issue or another. my personal vehicle was in service for a rattling noise in rear area; transmission probs; rear hatch not locking; dome light turning on whenever it felt like it... i wont go into my experience with the service department. in short, my car was back at the dealership longer than me driving. filed lemon lawsuit; ford could not buy back- so they issued a settlement check. although it is a spacious vehicle, do not buy- resale value blows; not to mention reliability. if you do buy, make sure you get gap insurance!! many service depts still cant fix hatch probs.

Thinks it's a Sports car!
By Antarababe on 11/09/05 16:33 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I downsized from my much-loved 2000 Explorer for the fuel economy. And though it doesn't seem to get the 35mpg as promised - it sure is fun to drive. Not the least bit sluggish for a 4 cylinder. Fast out of a start, feels like rack & pinion steering, doesn't hesitate to go up hills. Holds everything my SUV did and then some. Perfect car for a single, self- employed, travel-loving, antique addict. And it'll be light enough to tow when I get that retirement motor home.

Life with a Focus
By Jersey Dave on 10/30/05 22:32 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Focus wagon with automatic transmission has a lot of good qualities. It's spunky, offers great driving visibility and has lots of storage room. Little things like the theater lighting are also nice. But, I'm not very pleased with around- town gas mileage in the very low 20's. A 2005 car with a 2.0 liter engine, even with an auto transmission, should do a lot better than that. (My '94 Geo Prizm still gets 25-26 around town). And, I really don't like the European suspension. In New Jersey, we have way too many streets and highways that are in pretty poor condition. I really have fears that my Focus with get beaten or shaken to death way before its time.

Radio killed the car
By LEH88 on 09/30/05 10:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had the car for about 4 weeks, left it parked for a week, came back the engine was dead, jumped it, it died again. Come to find out the CD/radio was bad, killing the battery. Two months later still waiting on a new CD/radio to be installed. Also my car came with no dip stick. Not sure if that was the dealer or standard practice, that cost $45. Otherwise the car has everything you need for the price. Even with the AC running it can keep up with the best of them on the Autobahn here in Germany. At 140KMs it is sailing along comfortably.

a/c compressor noise
By marks1355 on 09/13/05 22:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When I test drove my ZXW the a/c charge was low so there was no noise. As soon as it was charged and new coolant was put in there was a loud clicking every 30 seconds. Ford say that is normal. That sound is the a/c compressor working. I hate the loud click and would not bought the vehicle if I heard it during my test drive. I love driving my ZXW, but what do I do to shut this car up.

My Focus Experience
By S. Howe on 09/10/05 11:37 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Since purchasing my Focus Wagon my great-nephews (in a car seat and boaster seat) have had a great time traveling about in our area. There is also enough room for my niece in the back with the boys. Everything is so easy to get to and to get the boys in their seats.

Focus Points
By Bill Brown on 06/21/05 21:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I needed a vehicle for my sales job (I carry chemical samples). The Focus Wagon fit the bill to a "T". Spunky car. It is definitely spartan (interior) but the car more than makes up for it in performance.

love my car
By Barbara on 04/25/05 09:22 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving my little wagon for six months now, and just love it. It is a breeze to park, has a huge cargo area, gets 30 mpg highway and 22 mpg city. I am so glad I didn't waste my money and buy something twice as expensive. If you just want a simple car to haul a small family around and run errands, this is great. I downsized from a Taurus wagon and it is like losing 20 pounds.