Used 2005 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 313 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Ford tough
By Robert Parks

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SES 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

271k and climbing daily
By Jake

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Base model crank windows no power locks car was bought new with 20 miles on it and has been driven on an hour and a half commute to work each way for the past 12 years. Car has 271k original clutch, starter, water pump, alternator, motor has never been opened for repairs. Royal purple oil its whole life and it still doesnt burn any. Has gotten brakes, struts, and an axle seal. Great car interior is junk but it was 12k new so of course it is

205,000 miles and climbing
By Nate Marialke

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 12,000 miles on it in 2006. I now have 205,000 miles and have had no major mechanical issues! I did re do shocks and struts a couple times and I did replace the tie rod ends and axle shafts. (Michigan winters are hard on any car). Other than that the trans and engine are solid. Shifts great, no leaks, drives very well.
My only complaint is the road noise and interior started vibrating at around 150000 miles. But it is an inexpensive car and I plan on driving for 3 more years. You can't go wrong with a focus for the money.

Electrical system sucks
By Terry

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car used. The battery light came on intermittently. The dome lights and signals would go on for no reason in the middle of the night. I went through 3 batteries in less than 5 years. The electrical issues became worse as time progressed. It was determined that the "cluster" was bad. There was an unidentifiable drain on the battery that got to the point that a brand new battery was burnt out in a matter of months. When a new battery was installed, the car was dead the next morning. Getting rid of the ghost in the electrical system would be a costly repair -- more than the car is worth. My mechanic found that these cars are notorious for electrical/cluster problems.

Good handling, peppy, and cheap!
By Justin

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this focus so I could gift my 2005 Mercury Mariner to my wife to haul the kids around. It is my third focus and I have loved all of them. The worst part would be the cheap interior materials and the layout of the armrest and cup holders leaves a bit to be desired however.....the engine and 5 speed make those issues simply minor annoyances. Its a 2.3 and it feels faster than it is. It grips the road well and goes where you want it to. I know its boundaries like any car so I have a lot of fun driving it and its a cheap reliable car. I bought it with 119k miles over a year ago and I currently have 141k and the only problem I have had to change was the front brakes, rear wheel bearing, and the alternator. All these things are normal especially a car its age so I don't count those as faults. I would love to upgrade to the Focus ST or wait and get the RS but financially I will stick to my little silver bullet.