Used 2004 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 344 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Decent Car for the Money
By dgk

2004 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Originally, I had wanted an SE, since I didn't really need all of the extra junk that the ZTS has. However, since it was the end of the model year I ended up getting a good deal on the ZTS. The 2.3L engine is quite peppy for a 4 cyl, and the car handles like a sports car that costs thousands more. The interior is quite comfy and can easily hold four people without much effort. The trunk is surprisingly large, probably due to the height of the back of the car. The styling of the car is okay I guess, but I am not much into that sort of thing. My only complaints are that the fuel mileage is very disappointing for a supposed economy car, and it seems like the exterior scratches easily.

Powerful engine for a 4 cyl, sporty handling, spacious trunk for a small sedan

Better gas mileage

Fun little hot rod from SVT
By Chris

2004 Ford Focus SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

What a great car! Having owned SVT products in the past, I have always been impressed with the performance, handling and all around fun factor of these cars. This Focus was no exception. That being said, it does have it's "quirkiness", mainly that the engine has an emissions-control function that makes the revs hang in-between shifts and that the dual-stage flywheel takes some getting used to. However, these are easily corrected by a "tune" for the ECU. It also adds 10 HP to wheels and allows you to scan for DTC's. The car handles extremely well for a front driver. You can actually get it to four wheel drift!! I have the EAP package-a must have!

Recaro heated seats, HID's, low- profile 215 series tires w/lightweight rims, engine block heater (very nice for here in New England) and the great Audiophile system that comes with this EAP package.

I had to installl a tune to cure the goofiness with the engine, and a short throw shifter with the Getrag counterweight removed really enhances the shifting of this car!! Could certainly use a better factory tune.

Love it!
By FocusFanatic

2004 Ford Focus SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this '04 SVT back in August of last year in Nebraska, flew in signed the paperwork, and drove back to Ohio. I was not dissapointed. This car is fun to drive, great mileage, and with a few mods, you can up the ponies and the performance for just fraction of the costs for other vehicles.

I would have to say my favorite features area the Recaro seats and the HID Headlamps. But the factory stereo does thump.

Just up the ponies a little bit from the factory

Most fun car I've ever had
By Barry V

2004 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The version has power and PZEV to boot! I was glad to finally turn in the mini van for this. Its always fun to drive. Only things I've improved was to change the radio from 6 dish CD to Mach 500, 6 disk and new speakes. Added cabin filter (it really works well). High performance rotors and pads.

205 50/16 tires. Mach 500 6 disk CD/radio. Power everything. Moonroof

More power, 144 bph is very nice but 175 + would be excellent. I would sacrifice PZEV for that. V8, manual trans with rear wheel drive

Zero To Hero
By Paul

2004 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my manuel Protege for this so my wife could drive also and hated it from the start because it was boring and I didn't have trust in Ford cars. Now it's my work car and after driving it more I have learned to love it and trust it. It's had zero problems so it's my hero. Just wish it was a manual with a cd player and power windows, but its the base. Overall this is the best vehicle to have for a work car. I hope it stays this good for the next 50k since its got 50k on it now.

Fuel economy 32 mpg. Handling. Quicker than normal 4 cyl engine. Color blood red. Stability

None really. Just put cd players in every car! It's after 2000!