2004 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
ZX5 2.3 Auto
By paul on 12/07/04 11:24 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a used(12000 miles) ZX5 Premium with auto. Wanted a manual, but couldn't find any with the 2.3 engine. Have put on 3000 miles, no problems. I'm getting 28 mpg on the highway, I expected to do better.

it is very "special"
By Anthony Dorsey on 11/27/04 16:57 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

the vehicle is sooo fun to drive, i am a service advisor for ford and they don't have a better built vehicle than this/ it is a shame they stopped making them in 2004

Fab Focus
By bobby240 on 11/24/04 19:55 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

A fine-handling and looking car with plenty of lux touches for the price. Performance is great with good economy. The interior is refreshingly stylish - a feature ruined on the '05s. The quality of interior materials is only so-so, however; my car had numerous trim defects. The hood is of too-thin metal and lacks an underside pad. The heater fan is noisy on higher settings, and using air con saps engine power considerably, esp. in 5th. The car is a little slow off the line (in 1st), but picks up in the higher gears. With the sloping hood it's hard to see the corners of the car. Overall, for the money the '04 Focus SE is a great buy.

If only I had known...
By ecn403 on 11/17/04 22:59 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used with 19K miles on it. Read reviews thoroughly--thought I had made an informed choice. Knew before buying that car is prone to eat brakes. No big deal--replaced with life time warranty set. Now, at 26K, car has just spent a full week at dealer for 3K in warranty repairs to transmission. Before taking to dealer, took to local garage and was told that this model has had 'a number of issues'. It's fun to drive, but I won't buy another Ford. I love my Hyundai Sonata--better warranty and, so far, more reliable. I'm worried about what is in store for me after the 3yr/36K warranty expires. Another transmission at 50K?

disappointing fuel economy
By jim worcester on 11/11/04 07:02 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Although we have only put on 6900 miles so far, I am disappointed with the fuel economy (5 speed manual). Much of our driving is rural and we are seeing generally slightly less than 30mpg. We are still driving our 1995 Ford Escort Wagon 5 speed manual with 220000 miles that is still getting close to 40mpg (summer). Owners manual said to wait until after about 5000 miles to check mpg, which we have and still hasn't improved.

Worth every penny!
By burs757 on 10/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

i test drove almost every "hot hatch" avaliable at the time, and none could compete with the overall package Ford has put together, i have had this vehicle for almost a year and have no major complaints with anything. there have been a few trips to the dealership to work out PCM (computer) issues, but these were offset by the driving pleasure this vehicle serves up with every trip!! if you are in the market, i would definatly recomend snatching one of these up before they are no more. and spend the extra $$ and go with the Euro appearance package, the Recaro seats alone are worth the price!!

fuel gauge problem
By naturebuddy on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a focus ZTS in 5/04 it has been serviced 4 times once for a recall on the heated seats & 3 times with a fuel gauge problem their seems to be a softwear problem our 1st problem occured after filling the tank the gauge stayed on empty the dealer said ford told them to clear the computer memory & put in a new code the 2nd time we again filled the tank this time it read 1/2 tank the dealer replaced the sending unit the 3rd time the gauge stayed on full after 150 miles then after 200 miles the gauge read between full & 3/4 when it should have read at half tank because when we filled up it took 8 gal with a 14 gal tank now they say the float wasnt set properly on the sending unit

LOT'S OF FUN
By dick7622 on 10/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

the 04 focus is,without a dought, the most enjoyable ford compact I'v ever driven [& I'v had a lot of them]! I rented one out west and found it to handle super on flat desert as well as through the high country. I literly fell in love with the car. I was very pleased with the price and the rebaits. I'v grown even fonder of my focus since I'v been driving it on a regeular baseis.

04 Focus Wagon
By arp on 10/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Nice driving feel suspension control. High praise, considering that I drive a Porsche on sunny days/weekends. Not the cushiest, most refined car in the world, but a LOT of bang for the buck. Wagon has more usable cargo space than any small SUV. My car is fully optioned out (as cheap VW Jetta with better performance). Regrettably, the wagon can no longer be purchased in better than SE trim. Worse, Ford no longer sells the 2.3L PZEV engine in the wagon. The 2.3 is way quieter than the 2.0; it drives MUCH better than its #'s would suggest (and its #'s are a lot better than the 2.0's). If you need a wagon but like the '05 ZTS performance, seek out an 04 ZTW, rather than an 05 SE.

Of course its an SVT
By Andrew De Lisle on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Having owned Ford for years I had no doubt it was going to be good. KNowing SVT and what they could produce I was a bit shy about a front wheel drive sports car. Over all it is a blast, the handeling is not as good as my SCCA Mustang but awsome for the road. The only down fall is the clutch. It is a performance clutch so like to be in or out and does not like stop and go traffic. The ride is not as stiff as you would expect it. Expect understear when cornering hard. When all is said and done I was impressed with what SVT has done with this little car and bould buy another one.