2004 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Focus is JUNK
By april on 09/20/05 00:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a terrible car. I've had it almost a year and have had numerous hassles with it from the paint, CD player, air conditioner, and the exhaust. If you are looking for quality, DO NOT buy this car. It is a total LEMON! I will never own another Ford.

sports car in disguise
By recharged95 on 08/28/05 00:36 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is the car with *the full package*. Not just shoving an S/C or turbo on for bragging rights, this car runs like a tuned European car WITH [some] torque. It handles, brakes, sounds (thumping stereo!), excellent road feel, and rides comfortably. Excellent daily driver for those on the go -- hatchback capability and room is excellent. This car is for people that know how to drive and wants a relaxing, involved driving experience. Unfortunately, not everyone knows how to drive and yet utilize the full potential of their car, hence it's demise :(. Only thing to look forward is most manufacturers have taken notice and are integrating SVT DNA into their lineups for better cars.

2.3L makes the car
By mtk on 07/18/05 15:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a year ago and absolutely love the car. Unfortunately Ford decided to drop the 2.3L in the ZX3 for 2005 which I believe was a great combination. I had a 6 cylinder Ranger that sucked gas and this car does better but not great. I tend to "drive" the car and get around 24 mpg city without the A/C on - average, not bad. The car only cost me $10k brand new (with rebates and A plan). I've spruced up the interior a bit as there are many aftermarket items out there for the Focus which personalize without being gaudy. Fun to drive. No problems to date - go out and buy one used if you can find one. Make sure it is a manual to maximize the fun factor. Did I say it was fun to drive?

2004 ZX-3 (2.3L) Automatic
By atl_focus on 03/03/05 15:47 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My model is the "premium" ZX3 with the 2.3L engine. It is fully loaded and I picked it up for $11,500 with only 11k miles on it. If you don't have this engine, you are missing out...it really makes the car. I was looking for a hatchback to replace my truck and had one of these as a rental. I liked it over the Honda Civic Si, Golf/GTI, Protege5, Mazda3 hatchback, etc. Great handling and performance (145 hp), and decent mileage (24/30). Decent build quality for the money; couple of minor problems so far.

One Look and Fell in Love
By Ryan Mikulovsky on 02/14/05 23:33 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The vehicle handles wonderfully well. It took to the Pacific Coast Highway with agility I would not have expected for a car at it's price level. It also impressed me when driving through Flaming Gorge on the way to Las Vegas. I did not experience any loss of power while running the AC. In city traffic it is very responsive. The standard transmission could feel a little more solid -- there is a tiny bit of detectable "give." I haven't had any problems with it except that my first oil change had to be postponed due to the new oil filter not having saturated the market yet. A chrome Harley filter could have worked.. but... :-) The filter is amazingly accessible.

Handles great
By Heres How on 02/02/05 15:56 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've now had the car long enough to fairly evaluate it and there's really nothing to gripe about. I sold an F150, wanting better mileage, and had driven the 2.0 engine and decided to buy this because of the 2.3 that became available. This car feels like a sports car, it handles great, is very quick for it's class. The 2.3 engine has 145 hp and responds right when you want it. The five speed is very precise. I don't like automatics and manuals like this one are the reason why. I'm an older guy who is an enthusiast and recommend this car to anyone who enjoys driving responsive cars and still needs a back seat. I have the sport package with standard brakes but recommend the anti lock upgrade.

Most Fun for your Money
By shell2n on 01/19/05 19:12 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

A real blast of a car yet can be used for everyday driving. In fact, you want to drive more because of the fun of this car

Pocket Rocket
By ando21133 on 12/30/04 11:39 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The SVT Focus is a blast to drive. It does two things exceptionally well - going fast and cornering. If that's what you're looking for in a car, buy one. This car will turn corners at speeds you never though possible, and is very stable at speeds that will get you arrested rather than just a speeding ticket (if caught). For basic transportation, there are better choices, though. The car is not very roomy, the ride is a bit firm, the engine is loud, and its a Ford. Also, for its size, the gas mileage is terrible, and it requires minimum 91 octane fuel. My SVT five-door is my daily driver, and I'm very happy with the purchase.

tonis zx3
By toni ann on 12/22/04 00:36 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 Comfort 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

this is my first new car. and i love it. its fun looking i have an yellow and black car. its drive smooth. everything a 22 year old can ask for.

FOCUSNME
By Eileen on 12/13/04 09:22 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great Car!! Only downfall is the color- YELLOW! But other than that this car is fun to drive and equipped with the 2.3l engine it has a great pick up. Seats are confortable and with the premium package the entire experience is excellent. I had a '01 Nissan Sentra before purchasing this Focus and it was definetly an upgrade. I would never trade this in for anything in its class!