Used 2004 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

I love my Focus
By Christine101101

2004 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Focus. This is the second one I have owned. I totaled my first and walked away without a scratch. They are safe, reliable, fun, and affordable. I recommend them to all of my friends. Great car, especially for the price. I have the 2.3 liter engine and it can really go!

Favorite Features

Power locks, doors, mirrors, and keyless entry.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. It's not bad, but not great.

Great car
By Jim

2004 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is the second Focus we have purchased. We bought a basic, no options 4 door model for our daughter to use at college. Hard to beat the price for a nice, new car. The 2nd one we bought for my wife is a ZTS with most of the extras added. Again, hard to beat the price for a nice, "loaded" car.

Favorite Features

Lots of headroom. Comfortable seating position. Doesn't feel like a small car. Very usable back seat (for adults). Zippy performance.

Suggested Improvements

Driver's armrest could be longer. Rear seat doesn't fold down flat enough.

I LOVE my '04 ZTS Sedan!
By SaraQuinn

2004 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love the extra 'kick' the 2.3L engine gives over the LX & SE versions, especially when passing the slower drivers in front of me. I'm glad I bought the '04 model before they took away the character of the car with the '05 model, like the homage to the Ford Oval in the dashboard vents, etc. The driver's cockpit has a nice tight feel to it & the location of the all controls is great. The car handles well, even at higher speeds (70-80 MPH). I never feel like the car is going to break away from under me. I haven't had to do any major work on the car & I'm at 34,000 miles in 19 months. The power sun/moonroof adds quite a bit of fun.

Favorite Features

Love the Blaupunkt stereo that shows the artist/song, depending on the station. Great acceleration and decent gas mileage. I can get 300-350 MPT, depending on my driving habits.

Suggested Improvements

The rear defrost needs to work better. Get rid of the 150,000 air filter assembly (I'd rather pay $20 a few times a year then $300-400 at 150,000). Some more storage space would be nice. I only wish they would have had a dark green color available. Don't install the engine in sideways.

One Look and Fell in Love
By Ryan Mikulovsky

2004 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The vehicle handles wonderfully well. It took to the Pacific Coast Highway with agility I would not have expected for a car at it's price level. It also impressed me when driving through Flaming Gorge on the way to Las Vegas. I did not experience any loss of power while running the AC. In city traffic it is very responsive. The standard transmission could feel a little more solid -- there is a tiny bit of detectable "give." I haven't had any problems with it except that my first oil change had to be postponed due to the new oil filter not having saturated the market yet. A chrome Harley filter could have worked.. but... :-) The filter is amazingly accessible.

Favorite Features

Road stability, steering responsiveness, passing and merging power, passenger space, very quiet. Suave looking exterior, easy oil change with filter mounted "upside down" right next to oil tank. Pretty underside with a reasonable amount of component exposure.

Suggested Improvements

The interior panelling seems to be "cheap" and loose. The front bumper is this shoddy plastic thing that looks and feels like it'd be an instant casualty to the smallest of accidents. Hard to clean bugs off. Rear seats are difficult to work with for increasing trunk capacity.

Fab Focus
By bobby240

2004 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

A fine-handling and looking car with plenty of lux touches for the price. Performance is great with good economy. The interior is refreshingly stylish - a feature ruined on the '05s. The quality of interior materials is only so-so, however; my car had numerous trim defects. The hood is of too-thin metal and lacks an underside pad. The heater fan is noisy on higher settings, and using air con saps engine power considerably, esp. in 5th. The car is a little slow off the line (in 1st), but picks up in the higher gears. With the sloping hood it's hard to see the corners of the car. Overall, for the money the '04 Focus SE is a great buy.

Favorite Features

Peppy engine, great handling, great upgraded Mp3 stereo, commanding driving position, great style and good fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Poor interior fit & finish, too many cheap plastics, can't see car's corners, thin-metal hood, no tachometer (on SE model), center armrest doesn't fold away far enough, no locking gas cap