Used 2004 Ford Focus SVT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Focus SVT

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

A Blast to Drive
By Captcomputer

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

After doing my homework on this car I had to have one. The SVT is the most fun to drive for under $20k. For that little itch inside that we all have, it has that punch when you just want to shoot around a slowpoke in traffic. The ride is right on, not too stiff yet enough to throw it around a corner when in a hurry. Stereo is awesome for a compact car. Tire class is right up there. If you're asking for more then you're asking to much. Interior room is comfortable for such a small car. Even for backseat passengers it is capable of comfort. The sunroof and leather bolsters around cloth seats gives it a taste of luxury. Suspension is A+. There are affordable bolt-ons that make it even better. A+

Favorite Features

6SPD tranny, 6 disc CD player w/subwoofer, sunroof, HID's, performance tires. grocery room. five passenger headrest. Color coded interior. A+ SVTOA membership and numbered build certificate. Tons of Focus owners web support. I can go on, but that's no fun for you. Go get you one. See for yourself.

Suggested Improvements

Take-off is slow and hesitant. Gas mileage is a little low for a 2.0 liter non-boosted car. Short throw shifter is the #1 aftermarket bolt-on while an aftermarket air-intake is #2 with slight increase in HP/TQ for very little money. These are minor issues considering what this toy does at 5000RPM. :-)

SVT Focus
By b16sir1991

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this SVT new in Nov. 2004. I work for Ford and am a Master Tech. Being familiar with the Focus, i had to snag one before they were gone. This car has amazed me from day one. Through the years, it has just been better and better. With a few modifications here and there, this car is extremely hard to beat at 4 times the money. To date, this SVT can pull 1.15g in cornering and out brakes pretty much anything short of pure race cars. I have less then $30k in it and have out performed cars costing over $100k on short courses.

Favorite Features

Handling hands down. Audiophile system is amazing for stock. I was lucky enough to get one that doesn't have traction control.

Suggested Improvements

Ford SVT should have made the Jackson Racing supercharger stock.

2004 SVT Focus
By jkevallen

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Driving over the Santa Cruz mountains to work every day this car is a ton of fun to drive. Great bang for the buck. I purchased it Used in 2009 and have loved every minute. In mostly highway (commute) driving I consistently get 30 mpg. Only mechanical issue I've had is needing to replace the clutch master cylinder for $270. If left out in the sun in high heat the gauges sometimes don't read correctly after start up. Other than that I love the car. Looking forward to the new Focus ST to be released in 2012.

Favorite Features

Smooth power & 6-speed manual transmission, great steering and handling. Comfortable seats and generally good quality interior and exterior.

Suggested Improvements

A little more interior storage space.

I still love this car!
By juliesincharge

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my yellow [bumble bee, per my husband] SVT in early May 2004 and have been driving it non-stop ever since. The day "I" drove it off the lot, I did not know how to drive a stick, so my husband drove it home for me. I am now a pro! It is a fabulous car. It still feels new to me. I have had the sunroof motor replace (under warranty), the driver's seat belt (twice; under warranty), the clutch petal cover, and the rotors and brake pads at 45,000 miles (for that I blame the Ford mechanics; in retrospect, I do not think they needed replaced). There is not another car I want ... until the new model Mustangs come out! I've read there were only 123 of these made; is that true????

Favorite Features

The car! Seriously, the seats, the heated seats, the back seats are very comfortable, the manual transmission, the sunroof, the stereo, the ease of viewing from all angles (the windows are great), and I love the headlights!

Suggested Improvements

I wish it were a bit peppier on the uptake. I've had grandmas beat me off the starting line and it can be very embarrassing.

One great SVT
By red04svt

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've owned my SVT Focus for about 5 to 6 months now and I love it. I get many compliments around the city when I ride. I've taken it to the autocross about 3 times and always finish better than 5th place. This car is a great accomplishment for the SVT team.

Favorite Features

6 spd. manual transmissiom, great suspension and brakes. Engine is the strongest 4cyl. ford has ever built and 2nd strongest made (second to the lancer evo.)

Suggested Improvements

Cold air intake, SCT chip, new cams, nitrous oxide.