Used 2004 Ford Focus SVT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

I love my SVT!
By Dubs

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've had my SVT ZX-5 for over 2 years now, and I love the car more now than I did when I bought it. The car loves an autocross course and twisty back roads. The silver exterior and the black leather with red insert interior look great.

Favorite Features

6 speed Getrag, very good breaks, great seats.

Suggested Improvements

Stock engine tune stinks, aftermarket is pretty much the first thing you need to do after getting one. Ford went cheap and put a little plastic clip on the dual stage intake, it is prone to breaking. Some companies offer a metal clip but it should of been stock.

Long Term Review
By RB

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Today is my SVT's 2nd birthday, so I thought it deserved a review. If I had rated this car when I first got it, it would have scored lower, as this car just grows on you. I am but months from 50, and I find this car just a blast to drive on a daily basis. I have 6 cars (2 Porsches) so that's saying a lot! The "fun-to-drive" level is just off the charts. You can tool around getting great gas mileage, or punch it to the 7200rpm redline for big grins. Just way too fun. And the brakes are world class (I run some Baer and Wilwoods), as is the handling. Reliability has been superb. If you ever get a chance go buy one of these, they are just way too much fun, while remaining totally practical!

Favorite Features

Recaro seats and the diminutive size of the car in traffic, counterbalanced by enough interior room to carry 3 teenage boys and all the groceries home!

Suggested Improvements

Suspension can bottom out pretty easily. The ECU really struggles sometimes is humid weather (reminds me of the Weber carbs on my Porsche), and the OEM ContiSportContacts are really good, but not superb.

sports car in disguise
By recharged95

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is the car with *the full package*. Not just shoving an S/C or turbo on for bragging rights, this car runs like a tuned European car WITH [some] torque. It handles, brakes, sounds (thumping stereo!), excellent road feel, and rides comfortably. Excellent daily driver for those on the go -- hatchback capability and room is excellent. This car is for people that know how to drive and wants a relaxing, involved driving experience. Unfortunately, not everyone knows how to drive and yet utilize the full potential of their car, hence it's demise :(. Only thing to look forward is most manufacturers have taken notice and are integrating SVT DNA into their lineups for better cars.

Favorite Features

Handling, braking, stereo, exhaust sound, transmission, quality, ride quality, hatchback option.

Suggested Improvements

Bump power from 170 to around 190 hp and lower the weight by 75 lbs. Then you'll have Lotus [Elise] performance with Ford versatility and price.

Most Fun for your Money
By shell2n

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

A real blast of a car yet can be used for everyday driving. In fact, you want to drive more because of the fun of this car

Favorite Features

Handling, ride, quietness and comfort on the highway. Easily can sit four people comfortably.

Pocket Rocket
By ando21133

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The SVT Focus is a blast to drive. It does two things exceptionally well - going fast and cornering. If that's what you're looking for in a car, buy one. This car will turn corners at speeds you never though possible, and is very stable at speeds that will get you arrested rather than just a speeding ticket (if caught). For basic transportation, there are better choices, though. The car is not very roomy, the ride is a bit firm, the engine is loud, and its a Ford. Also, for its size, the gas mileage is terrible, and it requires minimum 91 octane fuel. My SVT five-door is my daily driver, and I'm very happy with the purchase.

Favorite Features

European appearance package including Recaro heated leather front bucket seats, high speed capabilities, excellent brakes, decent stereo, relatively rare car (under 1100 2004 five-door SVT Focuses were built).

Suggested Improvements

Should have been offered with optional all-season tires. Front strut tower brace would help minimize body roll. Option to completely switch off traction control would have been nice (there is a switch but it only partially defeats the control). The six-disc CD changer is K-mart qualiity.