Used 2004 Ford Focus ZX3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Bang, Zoom
By powelldg

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm happy with the car overall. It was a year old repo, so the price was very reasonable, and it's just what I wanted - 2.3 PZEV, stick. Nice combo of performance, economy (good but not great) and utility (the hatch).

Engine, hatchback.

Needs brighter low beams, drivetrain feels weak -- hope it holds out.

Focus is JUNK
By april

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a terrible car. I've had it almost a year and have had numerous hassles with it from the paint, CD player, air conditioner, and the exhaust. If you are looking for quality, DO NOT buy this car. It is a total LEMON! I will never own another Ford.

The overall look of the car is unique.

Improve the quality of the entire car! The paint is awful, air conditioner is ruining the inside of my car and Ford cannot seem to find a part to fix it.

2.3L makes the car
By mtk

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a year ago and absolutely love the car. Unfortunately Ford decided to drop the 2.3L in the ZX3 for 2005 which I believe was a great combination. I had a 6 cylinder Ranger that sucked gas and this car does better but not great. I tend to "drive" the car and get around 24 mpg city without the A/C on - average, not bad. The car only cost me $10k brand new (with rebates and A plan). I've spruced up the interior a bit as there are many aftermarket items out there for the Focus which personalize without being gaudy. Fun to drive. No problems to date - go out and buy one used if you can find one. Make sure it is a manual to maximize the fun factor. Did I say it was fun to drive?

Performance (2.3L manual), styling (I've added the SVT Focus wheels - now sets the car apart), price.

I think the 2005 has been made more run of the mill and now has generic styling in and out, nothing really to improve upon this 2004 especially considering what I paid.

2004 ZX-3 (2.3L) Automatic
By atl_focus

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My model is the "premium" ZX3 with the 2.3L engine. It is fully loaded and I picked it up for $11,500 with only 11k miles on it. If you don't have this engine, you are missing out...it really makes the car. I was looking for a hatchback to replace my truck and had one of these as a rental. I liked it over the Honda Civic Si, Golf/GTI, Protege5, Mazda3 hatchback, etc. Great handling and performance (145 hp), and decent mileage (24/30). Decent build quality for the money; couple of minor problems so far.

Engine performance, handling, Audiophile stereo, hatchback practicality, and sunroof.

Terrible cup holders; include 4 wheel disc brakes standard; side-airbags should be standard.

Handles great
By Heres How

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've now had the car long enough to fairly evaluate it and there's really nothing to gripe about. I sold an F150, wanting better mileage, and had driven the 2.0 engine and decided to buy this because of the 2.3 that became available. This car feels like a sports car, it handles great, is very quick for it's class. The 2.3 engine has 145 hp and responds right when you want it. The five speed is very precise. I don't like automatics and manuals like this one are the reason why. I'm an older guy who is an enthusiast and recommend this car to anyone who enjoys driving responsive cars and still needs a back seat. I have the sport package with standard brakes but recommend the anti lock upgrade.

Engine power, precise steering, stereo has nice features. Hatch and folding back seat come in handy. Really impressive suspension, feels like a sports car. It took me some time to get used to the style but it's not a clone, it sticks out in the crowd.

Brakes; I bought off the lot and probably would have upgraded the brakes. Four wheel discs would be nice.