Used 2004 Ford Focus SVT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Focus SVT

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Perfect Balance
By Greg

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This car is a great fit for me. I am 6'2" and yet have sufficient head and leg room. I have two children, and we all can fit. It is economical to operate, but still has a great 'Fun Factor'. It is stylish, but also practical. There are cars with more economy, but that are no fun to drive. There are cars with more horsepower, but are significantly more expensive (and how much power can you realistically use before you get in too much trouble). This car, for me at lease, provides the best of both worlds, and it is disappointing that Ford discontinued this type of production.

Favorite Features

Six speed transmission, four wheel disc brakes, peppy engine

Suggested Improvements

Change to gear ratio to facilitate better highway mileage. At 70 mph, the engine is slightly over 3000 rpm in 6th gear. If you need acceleration, use 1st through 4th, which can take you significantly beyond any legal speed limit. 5th and 6th gears should have been left for economy.

I still love this car!
By juliesincharge

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my yellow [bumble bee, per my husband] SVT in early May 2004 and have been driving it non-stop ever since. The day "I" drove it off the lot, I did not know how to drive a stick, so my husband drove it home for me. I am now a pro! It is a fabulous car. It still feels new to me. I have had the sunroof motor replace (under warranty), the driver's seat belt (twice; under warranty), the clutch petal cover, and the rotors and brake pads at 45,000 miles (for that I blame the Ford mechanics; in retrospect, I do not think they needed replaced). There is not another car I want ... until the new model Mustangs come out! I've read there were only 123 of these made; is that true????

Favorite Features

The car! Seriously, the seats, the heated seats, the back seats are very comfortable, the manual transmission, the sunroof, the stereo, the ease of viewing from all angles (the windows are great), and I love the headlights!

Suggested Improvements

I wish it were a bit peppier on the uptake. I've had grandmas beat me off the starting line and it can be very embarrassing.

The SVTF is a hoot
By Donland23

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased my SVT Focus new with 67 miles on the clock in 8/04. As of 1/08, it's now at nearly 70k miles. While I can't say they've been entirely trouble free, the Focus has never left me stranded. All of it's foibles have been superficial. Right now it has no issues other then steering wheel wobble at freeway speeds, and even that's not too bad. Performance is superior; 0-60 mph in about 8 secs, and up to 34 mpg on the hwy are both legit numbers I've acheived. Being a hatchback has also helped, such as when I fit an entire kitchen table with the seats folded. Overall, great car for the money, and no regrets in purchasing it.

Favorite Features

Cornering ability with stock suspension and tires. No question. Second place would be fuel economy. 34 mpg with three aboard with the cruise set at 75 mph. Amazing.

Suggested Improvements

Gutless off the line. I think my 86' Isuzu Trooper with a 96HP engine is quicker from 0-15mph. Blame a ratio in 1st gear that is too tall.

Two-time SVT Focus owner!
By dave

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I love my SVT Ford Focus! I was dissappointed that Ford didn't continue to produce this car, so I traded my 2002 in on a 2004. Both cars have exceeded my expectations. Every color on this car looks good, although Sonic Blue is my favorite. There is no bad version of the SVT Focus.

Favorite Features

This car corners like an expensive sports car! The 6 speed transmission really puts this car over the top. Shifting out of second gear at 70 mph gets it done when you're getting on the interstate. I live in Colorado so the fact that the heater starts blowing warm air in 2 minutes is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Heat the entire seat not just the cloth insert. A supercharger should be standard. All-season or snow tires should be an option.

One great SVT
By red04svt

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've owned my SVT Focus for about 5 to 6 months now and I love it. I get many compliments around the city when I ride. I've taken it to the autocross about 3 times and always finish better than 5th place. This car is a great accomplishment for the SVT team.

Favorite Features

6 spd. manual transmissiom, great suspension and brakes. Engine is the strongest 4cyl. ford has ever built and 2nd strongest made (second to the lancer evo.)

Suggested Improvements

Cold air intake, SCT chip, new cams, nitrous oxide.