2004 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Focus is JUNK
By april on 09/20/05 00:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a terrible car. I've had it almost a year and have had numerous hassles with it from the paint, CD player, air conditioner, and the exhaust. If you are looking for quality, DO NOT buy this car. It is a total LEMON! I will never own another Ford.

2.3L makes the car
By mtk on 07/18/05 15:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a year ago and absolutely love the car. Unfortunately Ford decided to drop the 2.3L in the ZX3 for 2005 which I believe was a great combination. I had a 6 cylinder Ranger that sucked gas and this car does better but not great. I tend to "drive" the car and get around 24 mpg city without the A/C on - average, not bad. The car only cost me $10k brand new (with rebates and A plan). I've spruced up the interior a bit as there are many aftermarket items out there for the Focus which personalize without being gaudy. Fun to drive. No problems to date - go out and buy one used if you can find one. Make sure it is a manual to maximize the fun factor. Did I say it was fun to drive?

2004 ZX-3 (2.3L) Automatic
By atl_focus on 03/03/05 15:47 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My model is the "premium" ZX3 with the 2.3L engine. It is fully loaded and I picked it up for $11,500 with only 11k miles on it. If you don't have this engine, you are missing out...it really makes the car. I was looking for a hatchback to replace my truck and had one of these as a rental. I liked it over the Honda Civic Si, Golf/GTI, Protege5, Mazda3 hatchback, etc. Great handling and performance (145 hp), and decent mileage (24/30). Decent build quality for the money; couple of minor problems so far.

Handles great
By Heres How on 02/02/05 15:56 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've now had the car long enough to fairly evaluate it and there's really nothing to gripe about. I sold an F150, wanting better mileage, and had driven the 2.0 engine and decided to buy this because of the 2.3 that became available. This car feels like a sports car, it handles great, is very quick for it's class. The 2.3 engine has 145 hp and responds right when you want it. The five speed is very precise. I don't like automatics and manuals like this one are the reason why. I'm an older guy who is an enthusiast and recommend this car to anyone who enjoys driving responsive cars and still needs a back seat. I have the sport package with standard brakes but recommend the anti lock upgrade.

tonis zx3
By toni ann on 12/22/04 00:36 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Comfort 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

this is my first new car. and i love it. its fun looking i have an yellow and black car. its drive smooth. everything a 22 year old can ask for.

FOCUSNME
By Eileen on 12/13/04 09:22 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great Car!! Only downfall is the color- YELLOW! But other than that this car is fun to drive and equipped with the 2.3l engine it has a great pick up. Seats are confortable and with the premium package the entire experience is excellent. I had a '01 Nissan Sentra before purchasing this Focus and it was definetly an upgrade. I would never trade this in for anything in its class!

ZX5 2.3 Auto
By paul on 12/07/04 11:24 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a used(12000 miles) ZX5 Premium with auto. Wanted a manual, but couldn't find any with the 2.3 engine. Have put on 3000 miles, no problems. I'm getting 28 mpg on the highway, I expected to do better.

If only I had known...
By ecn403 on 11/17/04 22:59 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used with 19K miles on it. Read reviews thoroughly--thought I had made an informed choice. Knew before buying that car is prone to eat brakes. No big deal--replaced with life time warranty set. Now, at 26K, car has just spent a full week at dealer for 3K in warranty repairs to transmission. Before taking to dealer, took to local garage and was told that this model has had 'a number of issues'. It's fun to drive, but I won't buy another Ford. I love my Hyundai Sonata--better warranty and, so far, more reliable. I'm worried about what is in store for me after the 3yr/36K warranty expires. Another transmission at 50K?

Absolute Garbage
By sforsyth101 on 09/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my ZX5 for less than 1 year and I have gone through 4 sets of brakes and 2 sets of rotors and drums. I have had it in for repairs more than I have actually had the vehicle in my possession. It has been in to have the brakes fixed 5 times, and they still have not found what the problem is. Now, on top of that, the transmission is starting to slip gears and shift extremely hard (it is an automatic, there just isn't an option for that in the choices). Now they are telling me that they have to completely rebuild my transmission. I would not recommend this car to anyone due to the poor quality and that Ford refuses to make any needed repairs.

Great car!
By terrapin24h on 08/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The focus is a great car with awesome handling, great steering feedback and(with the 2.3L engine) good performance even with an auto tranny. It's quite zippy, handles very well(mine has 16" wheels from the factory) and sips gas pretty good when not being abused. Round town I get about 27mpg and on the highway, i can get up to about 32mpg.