Used 2004 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Good car,i would like more power.
By zts04chuck

2004 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Good car bought with 44k on it. It's fun to drive but i wish it had more power& the clutch was a bit more aggressive ,if you have your rpm's up when you shift into 2nd,you have to drop them down before it will reengage. First thing i had to do is replace the lock cylinder. The car has91k on it & i have replaced the front struts right side was different than left,right side was bad. Left wheel bearing was replaced as well with the front breaks . I do use the car to tow my trailer w/ATV or mower on it about 1500 lbs,& it does well,i get about 30 mpg average.

I like the tilt steering wheel,the lay out of interior,seems roomy for smaller car. power windows,locks are nice to.

stiffer clutch,more power,better mileage,better latch on arm rest,better electronics(radio some times shuts off,& lights in dash come on really dim when cars is off)

Do not buy this CAr
By snow13

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a my ford focus zx3 for 2 years and it has been in the shop more than I have driven it. Like it has most of the normal problems. The ignition chamber and the transmission. I have put more money in the car than its actually worth. I will never buy a ford again.

2004 Z3 Automatic
By buffee

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car in 2004 Brand new off the lot in May of 2004. In Sept. of 2004 I had a work injury that required alot of surgeries, so I did not get to drive the car that much. To date it has barely 39,000 miles on it. It is the biggest peice of junk ever made!!!!!!! I will NEVER buy from Ford ever again. I had to spend 4,500$ at 28,000 miles for a new transmission, I have had to replaced the ignition because the damn thing locked up every 5 minutes, I have to replace the tires....and they couldn't be ordinary, they had to be some special kind of tire that cost 3 times more and complete brakes, all on a car with less then 40,000 miles. I have put almost 7500 into this car, it is horrible

The cd player, electric everything and AC

The ignition switches-you KNOW they lock by themselves and yet you continue to ignore 1,000's of complaints The hatch could go up easier, its heavy You could have put standard tires on the car instead of special size The brakes began to squeal at 1,500 miles..Ford told me "All Focus's do that"

Great Car for Commuting
By mike_231

2004 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased in 2007 with 30k miles, just sold with 66k miles. Overall a great daily driver. Got between 28 and 32 MPG in mostly highway driving. Reliability was above average - only items I replaced were front brake rotors and sway bar end links (a common problem?). Otherwise, I only performed routine maintenance at the intervals suggested in the owner's manual. Good braking and cornering feel with decent acceleration. Complaints include strange options (had PW, PL, power mirrors and remote keyless entry, but no cruise control or tilt steering column), and everything under the car was rusted at the time I sold it. Overall, though, a great value.

Remote keyless entry on a very inexpensive car, decent sized trunk, good gas mileage, peppy acceleration with very good brake feel and handling (for the price). Reliability was above average compared to other cars I have owned. Shifter feel was well above average. This car was actually fun to drive with the 5-speed.

Can't believe that tilt steering wheel and cruise control were not standard equipment in 2004 - jeez. Could never get the seat/steering wheel position just right, so this car was painful to drive on long trips. Would suggest getting a Focus that has the tilt and telescoping steering column - will be much easier to find a comfortable seating position. Improved corrosion resistance on the underbody would be helpful - seeing an engine oil pan completely covered in rust at 66k miles is scary.

Lemon
By grover04

2004 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2004 Ford Focus ZTS for 5 years and it has been nothing but a money sucker ever since. For the past 5 years my focus has randomly shut down while I've been driving and I have taken the car to multiple shops and a Ford Dealership, still no one can figure out the problem. I have had to replace the headlights twice every year, and as soon as my car hit 70,000 (this summer) my car basically lived at an auto shop (been in 5 times the past 6 months). My friend who has the same make, same year, has had all similar problems as has a neighbor of mine. The only positives I have to say about this car is a spacious trunk and nice interior.

• SUV