Used 2004 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Worth every penny!
By burs757

2004 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

i test drove almost every "hot hatch" avaliable at the time, and none could compete with the overall package Ford has put together, i have had this vehicle for almost a year and have no major complaints with anything. there have been a few trips to the dealership to work out PCM (computer) issues, but these were offset by the driving pleasure this vehicle serves up with every trip!! if you are in the market, i would definatly recomend snatching one of these up before they are no more. and spend the extra $$ and go with the Euro appearance package, the Recaro seats alone are worth the price!!

Sure Footed, excellent high end power and braking. the european appearance package (HID headlamps, Recaro sport seats, 15 spoke gunmetal wheels, plus every other option) adds a refined feel to this vehicle and sets it apart from the boy racer/huge spoiler tuner crowd.

could definatly use more power, up high the 2.0 liter lets loose and provides a nice kick in the pants, but down low is lack luster. a supercharger would have been an excellent addition by SVT. but the aftermarket companies have taken care of that.

fuel gauge problem
By naturebuddy

2004 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a focus ZTS in 5/04 it has been serviced 4 times once for a recall on the heated seats & 3 times with a fuel gauge problem their seems to be a softwear problem our 1st problem occured after filling the tank the gauge stayed on empty the dealer said ford told them to clear the computer memory & put in a new code the 2nd time we again filled the tank this time it read 1/2 tank the dealer replaced the sending unit the 3rd time the gauge stayed on full after 150 miles then after 200 miles the gauge read between full & 3/4 when it should have read at half tank because when we filled up it took 8 gal with a 14 gal tank now they say the float wasnt set properly on the sending unit

although we like the style & handleing were now so sure we want to keep a car that has been in for service 4 times in 2 months

perhaps ford should improve its quality and do something for its customers whom have experienced problems when we spoke with our dealer & expressed our concerns over the issue with reguards to trading it in I felt they didnt offer us any better deal or discounts

LOT'S OF FUN
By dick7622

2004 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

the 04 focus is,without a dought, the most enjoyable ford compact I'v ever driven [& I'v had a lot of them]! I rented one out west and found it to handle super on flat desert as well as through the high country. I literly fell in love with the car. I was very pleased with the price and the rebaits. I'v grown even fonder of my focus since I'v been driving it on a regeular baseis.

everything

make more of them

04 Focus Wagon
By arp

2004 Ford Focus ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Nice driving feel suspension control. High praise, considering that I drive a Porsche on sunny days/weekends. Not the cushiest, most refined car in the world, but a LOT of bang for the buck. Wagon has more usable cargo space than any small SUV. My car is fully optioned out (as cheap VW Jetta with better performance). Regrettably, the wagon can no longer be purchased in better than SE trim. Worse, Ford no longer sells the 2.3L PZEV engine in the wagon. The 2.3 is way quieter than the 2.0; it drives MUCH better than its #'s would suggest (and its #'s are a lot better than the 2.0's). If you need a wagon but like the '05 ZTS performance, seek out an 04 ZTW, rather than an 05 SE.

Engine, suspension, driveability, handling

Add a rear seat courtesy light in the wagon. IMPROVE THE OWNER'S MANUAL. My car has a lock delay feature (apparently a rare feature included with highly optioned out ZTW's). The dealer had to call Detroit to figure out why my car's rear tailgate wouldn't lock immediately.

Of course its an SVT
By Andrew De Lisle

2004 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Having owned Ford for years I had no doubt it was going to be good. KNowing SVT and what they could produce I was a bit shy about a front wheel drive sports car. Over all it is a blast, the handeling is not as good as my SCCA Mustang but awsome for the road. The only down fall is the clutch. It is a performance clutch so like to be in or out and does not like stop and go traffic. The ride is not as stiff as you would expect it. Expect understear when cornering hard. When all is said and done I was impressed with what SVT has done with this little car and bould buy another one.

Six speed trany. It helps manage the power better and keep it power band almost all of the time.

SVT really needs a small V6 in this for more low end torque.