Used 2004 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

ZX5 2.3 Auto
By paul

2004 Ford Focus ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a used(12000 miles) ZX5 Premium with auto. Wanted a manual, but couldn't find any with the 2.3 engine. Have put on 3000 miles, no problems. I'm getting 28 mpg on the highway, I expected to do better.

Favorite Features

Nice pickup and handling. Good radio and roomy interior. Nice sunroof. Controls work and feel nice. I enjoy driving it.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. Better seat material. Engine a little noisy under hard acceleration. A place for CDs.

it is very "special"
By Anthony Dorsey

2004 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

the vehicle is sooo fun to drive, i am a service advisor for ford and they don't have a better built vehicle than this/ it is a shame they stopped making them in 2004

Favorite Features

heater seats and the subwoofer!!!

Suggested Improvements

intercooler supercharger to compete with subaru's wrx for power (270hp)

Fab Focus
By bobby240

2004 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

A fine-handling and looking car with plenty of lux touches for the price. Performance is great with good economy. The interior is refreshingly stylish - a feature ruined on the '05s. The quality of interior materials is only so-so, however; my car had numerous trim defects. The hood is of too-thin metal and lacks an underside pad. The heater fan is noisy on higher settings, and using air con saps engine power considerably, esp. in 5th. The car is a little slow off the line (in 1st), but picks up in the higher gears. With the sloping hood it's hard to see the corners of the car. Overall, for the money the '04 Focus SE is a great buy.

Favorite Features

Peppy engine, great handling, great upgraded Mp3 stereo, commanding driving position, great style and good fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Poor interior fit & finish, too many cheap plastics, can't see car's corners, thin-metal hood, no tachometer (on SE model), center armrest doesn't fold away far enough, no locking gas cap

If only I had known...
By ecn403

2004 Ford Focus ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used with 19K miles on it. Read reviews thoroughly--thought I had made an informed choice. Knew before buying that car is prone to eat brakes. No big deal--replaced with life time warranty set. Now, at 26K, car has just spent a full week at dealer for 3K in warranty repairs to transmission. Before taking to dealer, took to local garage and was told that this model has had 'a number of issues'. It's fun to drive, but I won't buy another Ford. I love my Hyundai Sonata--better warranty and, so far, more reliable. I'm worried about what is in store for me after the 3yr/36K warranty expires. Another transmission at 50K?

Favorite Features

Love the styling, sporty handling and the amount of power for a small car. Like the 6 disc standard changer.

Suggested Improvements

Recall? Other mechanic hinted at a number of problems that have plagued this model.

disappointing fuel economy
By jim worcester

2004 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Although we have only put on 6900 miles so far, I am disappointed with the fuel economy (5 speed manual). Much of our driving is rural and we are seeing generally slightly less than 30mpg. We are still driving our 1995 Ford Escort Wagon 5 speed manual with 220000 miles that is still getting close to 40mpg (summer). Owners manual said to wait until after about 5000 miles to check mpg, which we have and still hasn't improved.

Favorite Features

Interior lites that stay on until car is started.

Suggested Improvements

Why was the headlite switch moved to the dashboard (from the steering column)? Love the little wagons, but it is getting harder to find with 5 speed manual. Apparently roof rack is expensive option, about $100 for each crossbar.