Used 2004 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Most Helpful|
I LOVE MY CAR!!!!
By Marinewife831

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car going on 1 year soon and I love it. I have put a few performance parts on her and she runs and looks like a dream. My husband and I even named her lil' lemon. I have a 5 yr old little boy and between us three there is no comfort problems, she is wonderful on gas, since my husband will drive it every now and then from the AV to Camp Pendleton and it will fit all of his marine gear with NO problems. I LOVE MY CAR!

Favorite Features

she is BRIGHT yellow!! The handleing is incredible. Great gas milage, and allot of backseat room.

Suggested Improvements

NONE!

Wonderful Car
By JLUFORTE

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We traded in our 1998 Camaro, and trust me this new car rocks! Tons of mod options... that aren't very pricy. I love it, the MP3 player is a definite plus. Thank you!

Favorite Features

MP3 player, very roomy, the air is like ice, great wheels, beautiful body style, best car for the money.

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps better interior fabric on the comfort edition...

tonis zx3
By toni ann

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Comfort 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

this is my first new car. and i love it. its fun looking i have an yellow and black car. its drive smooth. everything a 22 year old can ask for.

Favorite Features

i have stock black and yellow leather seats. and dark tinted windows.

Suggested Improvements

no complaints....

Decent and fun to drive!
By Roen

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my 2004 Focus ZX3 for a little over a year now and so far no problems. I've heard Ford had fixed all the problems in the previous model year Foci into the 2004 models and it's pretty obvious. The 2.3L PZEV engine is very torquey at low RPM ranges, around 3,000 rpms, which is practically everyday RPM ranges. Very smooth ride, nice interior, and beautiful styling. Fuel economy isn't as great for a car this size, however. I calculated an average 26 mpg city/highway driving, which is what you'd expect from a larger vehicle like an SUV. But the 2004 Focus is an overall great car to drive that's actually more reliable than the previous model year Foci.

Favorite Features

2.3L PZEV engine is torquey and has quiet decent power, nice sound system, nice interior with convenient controls, nice exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a bit more power coming from a 2.3L engine.

Worst car ever, beats my 83 cavalier
By bryan

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

A money pit. If I had to rely on this car for above average use I would have been in trouble many times. For a small car the mileage is below avg-my last trip I couldn't even get 30 mpg hwy/22-23city. The transmission fluid had to be changed at 40k - it's synthetic and cost over $200. The alternator went out at 48k-the engine must be jacked-up to release the alternator so it near impossible for an owner to do.You are looking at $400-700 cost due to labor and parts. The ignition lock seized at 45k-must be towed to the dealer to be fixed due to the anti-theft chip. Around $500. Now at 56k the thermostat housing and valve cover gasket are leaking-Parts and labor will cost you around $500.

Favorite Features

Hatchback is good for storage; the ride quality is good for a small car for short commutes and long trips. Exterior design is sharp and unique.

Suggested Improvements

Don't get one, the new focus is even smaller inside than my '04, and the reliability is not any more certain. Gas mileage has barely improved, and only for hwy driving.