Used 2004 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Long Term Review
By RB

2004 Ford Focus SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Today is my SVT's 2nd birthday, so I thought it deserved a review. If I had rated this car when I first got it, it would have scored lower, as this car just grows on you. I am but months from 50, and I find this car just a blast to drive on a daily basis. I have 6 cars (2 Porsches) so that's saying a lot! The "fun-to-drive" level is just off the charts. You can tool around getting great gas mileage, or punch it to the 7200rpm redline for big grins. Just way too fun. And the brakes are world class (I run some Baer and Wilwoods), as is the handling. Reliability has been superb. If you ever get a chance go buy one of these, they are just way too much fun, while remaining totally practical!

Recaro seats and the diminutive size of the car in traffic, counterbalanced by enough interior room to carry 3 teenage boys and all the groceries home!

Suspension can bottom out pretty easily. The ECU really struggles sometimes is humid weather (reminds me of the Weber carbs on my Porsche), and the OEM ContiSportContacts are really good, but not superb.

I love my Focus
By Christine101101

2004 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Focus. This is the second one I have owned. I totaled my first and walked away without a scratch. They are safe, reliable, fun, and affordable. I recommend them to all of my friends. Great car, especially for the price. I have the 2.3 liter engine and it can really go!

Power locks, doors, mirrors, and keyless entry.

Better gas mileage. It's not bad, but not great.

Great car
By Jim

2004 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is the second Focus we have purchased. We bought a basic, no options 4 door model for our daughter to use at college. Hard to beat the price for a nice, new car. The 2nd one we bought for my wife is a ZTS with most of the extras added. Again, hard to beat the price for a nice, "loaded" car.

Lots of headroom. Comfortable seating position. Doesn't feel like a small car. Very usable back seat (for adults). Zippy performance.

Driver's armrest could be longer. Rear seat doesn't fold down flat enough.

I LOVE my '04 ZTS Sedan!
By SaraQuinn

2004 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love the extra 'kick' the 2.3L engine gives over the LX & SE versions, especially when passing the slower drivers in front of me. I'm glad I bought the '04 model before they took away the character of the car with the '05 model, like the homage to the Ford Oval in the dashboard vents, etc. The driver's cockpit has a nice tight feel to it & the location of the all controls is great. The car handles well, even at higher speeds (70-80 MPH). I never feel like the car is going to break away from under me. I haven't had to do any major work on the car & I'm at 34,000 miles in 19 months. The power sun/moonroof adds quite a bit of fun.

Love the Blaupunkt stereo that shows the artist/song, depending on the station. Great acceleration and decent gas mileage. I can get 300-350 MPT, depending on my driving habits.

The rear defrost needs to work better. Get rid of the 150,000 air filter assembly (I'd rather pay $20 a few times a year then $300-400 at 150,000). Some more storage space would be nice. I only wish they would have had a dark green color available. Don't install the engine in sideways.

Bang, Zoom
By powelldg

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm happy with the car overall. It was a year old repo, so the price was very reasonable, and it's just what I wanted - 2.3 PZEV, stick. Nice combo of performance, economy (good but not great) and utility (the hatch).

Engine, hatchback.

Needs brighter low beams, drivetrain feels weak -- hope it holds out.