Used 2004 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Focus Wagon

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Love the space
By Beej

2004 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This car is comfy to drive, with lots of cargo space. I love the large rear window so I can see out back. From the beginning I have had some skidding probs with the tires and now at 28000 miles am told I need new ones. That's disappointing.

Favorite Features

Good cargo space, good visibility out rear window, PZEV engine

Suggested Improvements

cross rails on roof rack, storage on passenger rear doors

Focus Work Wagon
By Brent

2004 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it because my partner had 2 Foci and thought it a great car for the business. Big change from a BMW 7 series. What a great car, changed the springs right away to H&R Sport, major improvement in handling. Upgraded the sound with Boston Pro speakers. 17" custom rims and 50 series rubber. Full header and sport exhaust, throttle boy, intake make about 20 more ponies. Excellent changes and what a car now, handles and rides well, goes better and is fun to drive on trips. Now what we need is the European 5 cylinder, or 140 or best of all the Diesel Focus. Next improvement: Spax shocks and cross brace. Maybe a Jackson or Powerworks supercharger. :)

Favorite Features

Utility of the wagon. Good all round design and reliability. Great in the snow. Cheap to run. It now handles the European version.

Suggested Improvements

Diesel and 5 cylinder European option. European suspension options. Better headlights. Make the roof rack an option.

Fun around town
By T.C.

2004 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car 'cause I couldn't afford another economy car on the lot. I really do like it. I live in the big city and getting through traffic can be fun. The 2.3 is a definite plus. Quick and nice high end performance. Cornering is great also. My main drawback is the stiff suspension. I've had two back surgeries and the ride is quite bouncy. I'll try new shocks and tires, this car is worth the investment! The interior is very nice for us also. All within easy reach. I will admit though. This car is more fun to drive than comfortable. Would like to have both.

Favorite Features

Great interior. Roomy, yet compact. Handling, performance and engine dynamics big plus. Love body style also. Nice to have a Blaupunkt stereo standard. Great sound!

Suggested Improvements

Would like more comfortable ride, suspension. Even if takes from handling some. Also would like a light in the glove box. I've not seen a car without it until now. Kinda noisy on the road also.

04 Focus Wagon
By arp

2004 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Nice driving feel suspension control. High praise, considering that I drive a Porsche on sunny days/weekends. Not the cushiest, most refined car in the world, but a LOT of bang for the buck. Wagon has more usable cargo space than any small SUV. My car is fully optioned out (as cheap VW Jetta with better performance). Regrettably, the wagon can no longer be purchased in better than SE trim. Worse, Ford no longer sells the 2.3L PZEV engine in the wagon. The 2.3 is way quieter than the 2.0; it drives MUCH better than its #'s would suggest (and its #'s are a lot better than the 2.0's). If you need a wagon but like the '05 ZTS performance, seek out an 04 ZTW, rather than an 05 SE.

Favorite Features

Engine, suspension, driveability, handling

Suggested Improvements

Add a rear seat courtesy light in the wagon. IMPROVE THE OWNER'S MANUAL. My car has a lock delay feature (apparently a rare feature included with highly optioned out ZTW's). The dealer had to call Detroit to figure out why my car's rear tailgate wouldn't lock immediately.

Second one we bought
By Barbieangel

2004 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We love both our cars. People stopped us when we had our first one and when they first started coming out on the market and they loved the look and asked lots of questions. We save on gas, it handles well, plenty of room, can transport large objects in the back trunk area and you can't beat the price.

Favorite Features

The roominess, the gas mileage and the look of it.