2004 Ford Focus SVT - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
2004 SVT Focus
By jkevallen on 09/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Driving over the Santa Cruz mountains to work every day this car is a ton of fun to drive. Great bang for the buck. I purchased it Used in 2009 and have loved every minute. In mostly highway (commute) driving I consistently get 30 mpg. Only mechanical issue I've had is needing to replace the clutch master cylinder for $270. If left out in the sun in high heat the gauges sometimes don't read correctly after start up. Other than that I love the car. Looking forward to the new Focus ST to be released in 2012.

Ford USA. Why?
By AufMitterSpiel on 03/04/10 16:41 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The review by 'jonny' is spot on; I encountered the exact same problems on my SVT. Plus pieces of body trim falling off at random intervals, leaving me with no front splitter and a focus looking like a dump-truck in the front. So I traded it in on a Mazda 3 because ill-witted Ford did not bring the proper Mk. 2 Focus stateside.

SVT Focus
By b16sir1991 on 09/06/09 13:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this SVT new in Nov. 2004. I work for Ford and am a Master Tech. Being familiar with the Focus, i had to snag one before they were gone. This car has amazed me from day one. Through the years, it has just been better and better. With a few modifications here and there, this car is extremely hard to beat at 4 times the money. To date, this SVT can pull 1.15g in cornering and out brakes pretty much anything short of pure race cars. I have less then $30k in it and have out performed cars costing over $100k on short courses.

Worst car ever
By pos svt on 01/25/09 00:35 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is by far the worst car I have ever owned. I bought the car about a year ago with less than 50,000 miles and $6400 in repairs later it's still not right. I have replaced the A/C compressor and condensor, the swaybar twice, gauge cluster and I have had countless electrical problems. I just noticed that the 4th thermostat housing is leaking. The car surges while driving down the road and the dual mass flywheel is constantly chattering. When the car is running it's a blast to drive, but that really doesn't matter when it breaks down at least once a month.

No thanks, Ford U.S.A.
By jonny on 01/03/09 12:46 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Ford had managed to take an absolutely proper car and ruin it with their typical 'gotta-save-money-ta-build-em- trucks' economics. Mine being plagued with the usual problems such as constant leaking coolant out of the thermostat, plastic clutch master cylinder that ruined the interior 3 times over, sticky butterfly valves on their 'revolutionary' dual cam design, right...and on it goes.

Perfect Balance
By Greg on 10/20/08 09:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This car is a great fit for me. I am 6'2" and yet have sufficient head and leg room. I have two children, and we all can fit. It is economical to operate, but still has a great 'Fun Factor'. It is stylish, but also practical. There are cars with more economy, but that are no fun to drive. There are cars with more horsepower, but are significantly more expensive (and how much power can you realistically use before you get in too much trouble). This car, for me at lease, provides the best of both worlds, and it is disappointing that Ford discontinued this type of production.

I still love this car!
By juliesincharge on 05/09/08 18:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my yellow [bumble bee, per my husband] SVT in early May 2004 and have been driving it non-stop ever since. The day "I" drove it off the lot, I did not know how to drive a stick, so my husband drove it home for me. I am now a pro! It is a fabulous car. It still feels new to me. I have had the sunroof motor replace (under warranty), the driver's seat belt (twice; under warranty), the clutch petal cover, and the rotors and brake pads at 45,000 miles (for that I blame the Ford mechanics; in retrospect, I do not think they needed replaced). There is not another car I want ... until the new model Mustangs come out! I've read there were only 123 of these made; is that true????

The SVTF is a hoot
By Donland23 on 01/26/08 21:21 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased my SVT Focus new with 67 miles on the clock in 8/04. As of 1/08, it's now at nearly 70k miles. While I can't say they've been entirely trouble free, the Focus has never left me stranded. All of it's foibles have been superficial. Right now it has no issues other then steering wheel wobble at freeway speeds, and even that's not too bad. Performance is superior; 0-60 mph in about 8 secs, and up to 34 mpg on the hwy are both legit numbers I've acheived. Being a hatchback has also helped, such as when I fit an entire kitchen table with the seats folded. Overall, great car for the money, and no regrets in purchasing it.

Two-time SVT Focus owner!
By dave on 12/23/07 15:55 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I love my SVT Ford Focus! I was dissappointed that Ford didn't continue to produce this car, so I traded my 2002 in on a 2004. Both cars have exceeded my expectations. Every color on this car looks good, although Sonic Blue is my favorite. There is no bad version of the SVT Focus.

One great SVT
By red04svt on 08/25/07 11:12 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus SVT SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've owned my SVT Focus for about 5 to 6 months now and I love it. I get many compliments around the city when I ride. I've taken it to the autocross about 3 times and always finish better than 5th place. This car is a great accomplishment for the SVT team.