2004 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Fun to drive at a price
By luckyintx on 07/20/12 23:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 2004 Focus ZTS in Dec 2007 with 60K. Nice car but had been in some fender bender where the front bumper wasnt installed back correctly. After eating 2 sets of 4 tires, I found out the rims were bent and it has the rarest of Ford Focus ZTS rims ( wide 5 spoke with slit in the middle) nice design though. The 4 disc in dash CD changer wouldnt work when I bought it and replaced it with a DD Kenwood that sounds great! Since it was bought, I have had nothing but strictly electrical issues, which no one can figure out. I have seen others with this make/ model have this same problem, lights flickering all the time. Overall this car has some get-up-and- go for the size engine.

Great car
By baxter83 on 01/23/12 19:18 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new. I loved it every day since. It now has 141,000 miles. The only issues that I've had were minor, until recently. Heated seat (drivers) stopped working. Which Ford fixed. Link ends on struts keep coming loose. Makes a clunking noise. The transmission died at 130,000 miles (Covered by aftermarket warranty). I thought the Alternator died a few weeks ago. After spending 3 hours changing it. I come to find out it wasn't dead. Low voltage was caused by a blown inline fuse in the negative battery cable. All in all I am very happy with that car. So happy I just bought a 2012 focus. Let's hope it handles better in the snow then a 2004.

Good car,i would like more power.
By zts04chuck on 12/07/11 16:03 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Good car bought with 44k on it. It's fun to drive but i wish it had more power& the clutch was a bit more aggressive ,if you have your rpm's up when you shift into 2nd,you have to drop them down before it will reengage. First thing i had to do is replace the lock cylinder. The car has91k on it & i have replaced the front struts right side was different than left,right side was bad. Left wheel bearing was replaced as well with the front breaks . I do use the car to tow my trailer w/ATV or mower on it about 1500 lbs,& it does well,i get about 30 mpg average.

Lemon
By grover04 on 12/19/10 06:39 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2004 Ford Focus ZTS for 5 years and it has been nothing but a money sucker ever since. For the past 5 years my focus has randomly shut down while I've been driving and I have taken the car to multiple shops and a Ford Dealership, still no one can figure out the problem. I have had to replace the headlights twice every year, and as soon as my car hit 70,000 (this summer) my car basically lived at an auto shop (been in 5 times the past 6 months). My friend who has the same make, same year, has had all similar problems as has a neighbor of mine. The only positives I have to say about this car is a spacious trunk and nice interior.

Possessed
By bucky on 08/20/10 05:04 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Within 2 months of driving off the lot abs and brake lights started blinking. Took back to the dealer and they said there was nothing wrong with the brakes but could not find the problem. Moved to ms took to another Ford dealer and got the same answer. Since then I have all kinds of warning lights and alarms and interior lights that blink and go off when the humidity goes up.

A Wonderful Car
By Stuart Bernstein on 11/09/09 22:02 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have been totally satisfied with my 2004 Ford Focus ZTS. It is a well made, reliable, economical and fun to drive vehicle. I currently have about 85,000 miles on my car. I still have orginal brakes,clutch etc. Car has been almost problem free. Only problem has been the accelerator linkage which had to be replaced twice under warranty. That's about it. My mileages is 27/34 with an average of 30 mpg. My only wish that it was a little quieter inside the cabin when driving high speed. Not really a problem though-only a wish. Seats are very comfortable-I have a bad back too! I traded in my 2000 ZTS for this Honey. My wife drives a 2001 Focus as well.

Fun little car
By Irina on 07/22/08 19:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a wonderful little car for me. I commute to school 125 miles round-trip every day, and it has been reliable every time. The only thing that I would improve would be the brake pads (they were not easy for the dealership to replace).

2004 Ford Focus ZTS Sedan 2.3
By Focus # 2 on 04/28/08 14:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Primarily a Toyata fan, this became my second Focus following an accident totaling the one I purchased in 2003. the biggest problem I have had was with a brake caliper sticking wearing out the low profile tires on the front end. Overall, tire wear has continued to be a problem I had never experienced.

My Ford Focus
By Debra Anne on 06/15/07 16:05 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

When I bought my Focus I was looking for a reliable affordable car to get my kids to school, me to work and to the supermarket. But I have to say it is really a pleasure to drive. It responds quickly and tightly to any kind of situation. Smooth shifting, great mileage, and a fun ride overall. A fun fun road trip car. And after three years of a NYC commute and transporting teenagers it is still in excellent condition - not a tick or a sputter. I did my brakes and will do my shocks but this is totally chalked up to NYC roads and driving conditions.

Decent Car for the Money
By dgk on 06/01/07 19:50 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Originally, I had wanted an SE, since I didn't really need all of the extra junk that the ZTS has. However, since it was the end of the model year I ended up getting a good deal on the ZTS. The 2.3L engine is quite peppy for a 4 cyl, and the car handles like a sports car that costs thousands more. The interior is quite comfy and can easily hold four people without much effort. The trunk is surprisingly large, probably due to the height of the back of the car. The styling of the car is okay I guess, but I am not much into that sort of thing. My only complaints are that the fuel mileage is very disappointing for a supposed economy car, and it seems like the exterior scratches easily.