Used 2004 Ford Focus ZTS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Fun to drive at a price
By luckyintx

2004 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 2004 Focus ZTS in Dec 2007 with 60K. Nice car but had been in some fender bender where the front bumper wasnt installed back correctly. After eating 2 sets of 4 tires, I found out the rims were bent and it has the rarest of Ford Focus ZTS rims ( wide 5 spoke with slit in the middle) nice design though. The 4 disc in dash CD changer wouldnt work when I bought it and replaced it with a DD Kenwood that sounds great! Since it was bought, I have had nothing but strictly electrical issues, which no one can figure out. I have seen others with this make/ model have this same problem, lights flickering all the time. Overall this car has some get-up-and- go for the size engine.

sunroof, easy/ simple dash layout, easy to read gauge cluster, rear spoiler, nice size trunk.

bad electrical in this car, needed to be fixed before design.

Great car
By baxter83

2004 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new. I loved it every day since. It now has 141,000 miles. The only issues that I've had were minor, until recently. Heated seat (drivers) stopped working. Which Ford fixed. Link ends on struts keep coming loose. Makes a clunking noise. The transmission died at 130,000 miles (Covered by aftermarket warranty). I thought the Alternator died a few weeks ago. After spending 3 hours changing it. I come to find out it wasn't dead. Low voltage was caused by a blown inline fuse in the negative battery cable. All in all I am very happy with that car. So happy I just bought a 2012 focus. Let's hope it handles better in the snow then a 2004.

Interior, Gas mileage, Handling, Pep for a 4cyl.

Good car,i would like more power.
By zts04chuck

2004 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Good car bought with 44k on it. It's fun to drive but i wish it had more power& the clutch was a bit more aggressive ,if you have your rpm's up when you shift into 2nd,you have to drop them down before it will reengage. First thing i had to do is replace the lock cylinder. The car has91k on it & i have replaced the front struts right side was different than left,right side was bad. Left wheel bearing was replaced as well with the front breaks . I do use the car to tow my trailer w/ATV or mower on it about 1500 lbs,& it does well,i get about 30 mpg average.

I like the tilt steering wheel,the lay out of interior,seems roomy for smaller car. power windows,locks are nice to.

stiffer clutch,more power,better mileage,better latch on arm rest,better electronics(radio some times shuts off,& lights in dash come on really dim when cars is off)

Lemon
By grover04

2004 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2004 Ford Focus ZTS for 5 years and it has been nothing but a money sucker ever since. For the past 5 years my focus has randomly shut down while I've been driving and I have taken the car to multiple shops and a Ford Dealership, still no one can figure out the problem. I have had to replace the headlights twice every year, and as soon as my car hit 70,000 (this summer) my car basically lived at an auto shop (been in 5 times the past 6 months). My friend who has the same make, same year, has had all similar problems as has a neighbor of mine. The only positives I have to say about this car is a spacious trunk and nice interior.

Possessed
By bucky

2004 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Within 2 months of driving off the lot abs and brake lights started blinking. Took back to the dealer and they said there was nothing wrong with the brakes but could not find the problem. Moved to ms took to another Ford dealer and got the same answer. Since then I have all kinds of warning lights and alarms and interior lights that blink and go off when the humidity goes up.

very peppy

get your act together on electrical problems