2004 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Very Satisfied, Good Value, Unique & Fun
By NJ owner on 11/26/09 10:41 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought slightly used in '04. Opted for 2.3L eng. Great ride/handling balance. Fun to drive. V. good steering. Reliable: just brakes & some front suspension work after 5 years. Brakes could be better, but adequate. Excellent value, reliable, 27 MPG avg in interstate hwy / city driving mix. Purely on highway, at least 32 MPG at interstate speeds. Unique styling. Hard to find a non-conservatively styled hatchback. I'm discerning, yet recommend this car since I've got 101K on engine & car still works very well. Of course I maintain it well too, that helps. Good luck.

ZX5 2.3 Auto
By paul on 12/07/04 11:24 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a used(12000 miles) ZX5 Premium with auto. Wanted a manual, but couldn't find any with the 2.3 engine. Have put on 3000 miles, no problems. I'm getting 28 mpg on the highway, I expected to do better.

Great car!
By terrapin24h on 08/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The focus is a great car with awesome handling, great steering feedback and(with the 2.3L engine) good performance even with an auto tranny. It's quite zippy, handles very well(mine has 16" wheels from the factory) and sips gas pretty good when not being abused. Round town I get about 27mpg and on the highway, i can get up to about 32mpg.

WHAT A SURPRISE
By SEARAYMAN on 05/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have not owned a compact car in 25 years because I like performance and a little more comfort. I recently rented a Ford Focus and was really impressed. So impressed that I visited a Ford dealer and drove a ZX5. It was even better than the low end rental car. I bought it that day. The acceleration, comfort, smoothness , quiet ride and features were a genuine surprise. It is also fun to drive. It's more like a little sports car than a compact sedan. It has more features than expected for the price.

Value for the bucks
By LoveMyF.... on 04/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

It's a nice little car. After driving an accord for the past 5 years, we bought this as the 2nd car, but felt better and smoother than my 98 Accord, so immediately made this our primary car. getting about 21 mpg in the city which is quite good. It is small but roomy enough for my family of 3. Also it is very quiet. My friend (owns a lexus sedan) claims it is quieter than his lexus.

My ZX5
By cwolf on 04/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to Drive,I've had many people comment on how much they like it.I've only had minor problems,Blown out headlight,Bad gas cap.I drive my ZX5 hard,Handles good for an economy car,Ok in snow driving conditions,Straight line performance is good for a 4cyl economy car.Overall I am very happy with my Focus, I would even go as far to say that I would buy another one.

Egg Yolk Yellow
By Vidking on 03/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Great car, super fun to drive, holds the road and curves like a sports car. Comfortable even for me at 6'-1" Decent if not great fuel economy. Road noise is there, but similar to any small car. I have 2003 ZX5 Premium with sunroof in Egg Yolk Yellow. It gets admiring looks and feels more expensive than it is. After rebates, it only cost me $12,500. It could definitely use more power. If I were to buy a 2004, I'd opt for the 2.3L 145-HP engine and leather seats. Leather would make it feel like a car costing twice as much.

I Love my Focus
By ShellyG on 03/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought a new Focus ZX5 last month and it is the funnest car to drive. I traded in an F150 and I am just so happy not to have to park that HUGE truck anymore. And I can even fit a 30 inch TV in my Hatchback!

Bad Gas and Service
By jeoddo on 03/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The car seems to be a good car, but the Gas Mileage is terrible. 19-20 mostly on the highway. Car the dealer and since computer doesn't tell them the problem they can't fix it. No help past that and customer assistance only logs calls. Trying to get further, maybe sometime someone may help. Would not buy another Ford with this service so far.

Love my Focus
By Teppi on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I had a horrible buying experience at Earnhardt Ford in Phoenix, AZ, but thank goodness I ended up with such a great vehicle! The gas mileage is great and it drives so smooth and sporty. I was originally looking at buying a Toyota Matrix, but decided on the Focus instead because of the value. It is a more affordable car with virtually the same features.