Used 2004 Ford Focus ZX5 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Sweet Surprise
By John Royce

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased our Focus as a commuter but we use it so much more. We never buy 4 cylinders with automatic transmissions, but here it's perfectly mated. Steering is direct with good on center feel. The 2.3L PZEV engine is refined and responsive. It's quite roomy and the hatch lends SUV utility. At 40,000 miles, it has been totally reliable. It's solid, tight and remains an absolute pleasure to drive. Plus, the Audiophile in-dash 6CD stereo package is amazing in such an inexpensive car. It's also reasonably quiet, although better sound proofing could make this car nearly perfect. All in all, a dynamic, fun, surprisingly premium experience.

Favorite Features

The ride/drive qualities surpass much more expensive cars. We rent a lot of cars, both here and abroad - the Focus' driving dynamics always welcome us home. We've grown to love the edgy styling. The five door's versatility is exceptional - the US should rediscover the hatch! Perfect reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Door panel plastics are soft touch, show no wear, but dash plastic is hard. It's attractively grained and durable, but improvements would be welcomed. Our driver's side leather is starting to wear (expected at 40K?). Fuel economy is good but doesn't match Corolla/Civic. Better highway sound proofing.

Fun To Drive - Easy To Park
By NY Commuter

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A great car, wonderfully flexible and spacious interior, never felt claustrophobic like other cars in its class that I looked at (like Corolla, Matrix, Scion, Civic, etc.). 28 mpg average city-and-highway driving, and I drive in New York City. Zippy handling, comfortable ride, a real pleasure to drive. Why anyone who wants a small car buys anything else is beyond me. This car is a great bargain and completely reliable.

Favorite Features

Large and flexible interior, great handling, great fuel mileage.

Suggested Improvements

A split in the bottom cushion in the back to match the split in the back cushion so that you can fold part of the backseat without having to lift and eliminate the whole bottom cushion.

My Focus
By laurie

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2002 Focus used. It has been an absolute pleasure. The hatchback and split rear seat offers great cargo storage. I have been able to move all sorts of stuff. My boyfriend is 6'4" and fits very well into the car. People are usually suprised about how roomy the inside is for a small car, and ther comment posativly on the design. Mine is a 5 speed and is a kick to drive. Peppy and responsive.

Favorite Features

The sound system rocks! The 6 rack CD player is great

excellent car
By Nancy Macias

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i love my ford focus, we liked it so much we bought another one, they're some of the best cars ford's come out with..

Favorite Features

I love the color, and how it runs.

Suggested Improvements

if you get a car that is full equiped then nothing.

Ford Focus
By Donald L Larson

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Drives like a dream. Corners beautiful.

Favorite Features

Cornering

Suggested Improvements

Noise padding