2004 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Do not buy this CAr
By snow13 on 07/21/11 17:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a my ford focus zx3 for 2 years and it has been in the shop more than I have driven it. Like it has most of the normal problems. The ignition chamber and the transmission. I have put more money in the car than its actually worth. I will never buy a ford again.

2004 Z3 Automatic
By buffee on 06/23/11 14:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car in 2004 Brand new off the lot in May of 2004. In Sept. of 2004 I had a work injury that required alot of surgeries, so I did not get to drive the car that much. To date it has barely 39,000 miles on it. It is the biggest peice of junk ever made!!!!!!! I will NEVER buy from Ford ever again. I had to spend 4,500$ at 28,000 miles for a new transmission, I have had to replaced the ignition because the damn thing locked up every 5 minutes, I have to replace the tires....and they couldn't be ordinary, they had to be some special kind of tire that cost 3 times more and complete brakes, all on a car with less then 40,000 miles. I have put almost 7500 into this car, it is horrible

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2 Door hatchback 2.0
By Ford for me on 06/20/08 20:54 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had a couple minor problems with, but with mileage now at 135,000 and running well mostly, I can't really complain. Only problem is if I run for a while, stop for 10 minutes and start, has tendency to die on me. But as long as I stop and keep the engine running, no problem. Hope to drive it for many more miles. Runs like a new car (other than the one problem mentioned, really feels like a new car - really smooth.

My #1 Car
By Brian on 06/03/08 09:31 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2004 Ford Focus ZX3 back in late April and let me say that I love it. I bought it with 35,789 miles and the previous owner barley drove it but it needs a little of work. It has the 2.3L PZEV engine and it is quiet. The previous 2.0 SPI and Ztech engines were loud but the 2.3L PZEV is quiet. I get around 24 in the city and around 29 on the highway and I love it a lot. Like I said earlier it needs a little of work. It needs new rotors, front wheel bearings, and the transmission fluid needs to be cahnged but other than that it's my #1 car. I previously owned some junk vehicles before but this is a car that I would recomend to someone if they need a good vehicle.

Decent and fun to drive!
By Roen on 10/09/06 20:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my 2004 Focus ZX3 for a little over a year now and so far no problems. I've heard Ford had fixed all the problems in the previous model year Foci into the 2004 models and it's pretty obvious. The 2.3L PZEV engine is very torquey at low RPM ranges, around 3,000 rpms, which is practically everyday RPM ranges. Very smooth ride, nice interior, and beautiful styling. Fuel economy isn't as great for a car this size, however. I calculated an average 26 mpg city/highway driving, which is what you'd expect from a larger vehicle like an SUV. But the 2004 Focus is an overall great car to drive that's actually more reliable than the previous model year Foci.

Bang, Zoom
By powelldg on 10/26/05 11:35 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm happy with the car overall. It was a year old repo, so the price was very reasonable, and it's just what I wanted - 2.3 PZEV, stick. Nice combo of performance, economy (good but not great) and utility (the hatch).

Focus is JUNK
By april on 09/20/05 00:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a terrible car. I've had it almost a year and have had numerous hassles with it from the paint, CD player, air conditioner, and the exhaust. If you are looking for quality, DO NOT buy this car. It is a total LEMON! I will never own another Ford.

2.3L makes the car
By mtk on 07/18/05 15:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a year ago and absolutely love the car. Unfortunately Ford decided to drop the 2.3L in the ZX3 for 2005 which I believe was a great combination. I had a 6 cylinder Ranger that sucked gas and this car does better but not great. I tend to "drive" the car and get around 24 mpg city without the A/C on - average, not bad. The car only cost me $10k brand new (with rebates and A plan). I've spruced up the interior a bit as there are many aftermarket items out there for the Focus which personalize without being gaudy. Fun to drive. No problems to date - go out and buy one used if you can find one. Make sure it is a manual to maximize the fun factor. Did I say it was fun to drive?

2004 ZX-3 (2.3L) Automatic
By atl_focus on 03/03/05 15:47 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My model is the "premium" ZX3 with the 2.3L engine. It is fully loaded and I picked it up for $11,500 with only 11k miles on it. If you don't have this engine, you are missing out...it really makes the car. I was looking for a hatchback to replace my truck and had one of these as a rental. I liked it over the Honda Civic Si, Golf/GTI, Protege5, Mazda3 hatchback, etc. Great handling and performance (145 hp), and decent mileage (24/30). Decent build quality for the money; couple of minor problems so far.

Handles great
By Heres How on 02/02/05 15:56 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've now had the car long enough to fairly evaluate it and there's really nothing to gripe about. I sold an F150, wanting better mileage, and had driven the 2.0 engine and decided to buy this because of the 2.3 that became available. This car feels like a sports car, it handles great, is very quick for it's class. The 2.3 engine has 145 hp and responds right when you want it. The five speed is very precise. I don't like automatics and manuals like this one are the reason why. I'm an older guy who is an enthusiast and recommend this car to anyone who enjoys driving responsive cars and still needs a back seat. I have the sport package with standard brakes but recommend the anti lock upgrade.