2004 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Worst car ever, beats my 83 cavalier
By bryan on 04/30/10 02:23 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

A money pit. If I had to rely on this car for above average use I would have been in trouble many times. For a small car the mileage is below avg-my last trip I couldn't even get 30 mpg hwy/22-23city. The transmission fluid had to be changed at 40k - it's synthetic and cost over $200. The alternator went out at 48k-the engine must be jacked-up to release the alternator so it near impossible for an owner to do.You are looking at $400-700 cost due to labor and parts. The ignition lock seized at 45k-must be towed to the dealer to be fixed due to the anti-theft chip. Around $500. Now at 56k the thermostat housing and valve cover gasket are leaking-Parts and labor will cost you around $500.

So Far So Good
By jimstoic on 07/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The only problems I've experienced in my first month have to do with the paint job: I've gotten two chips off the paint on the hood. I dropped the car by an independent body shop, where I was told the chipping, while lamentable, was not unusual for any car that had been hit by a pebble on the road.

:( Poor Gas Mileage
By drocksme on 06/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love the sporty look of this car. Fun to drive, easy to park - I live in the city.

Me and my Focus are inseparable!
By Kate in OKC on 05/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I don't make a lot of money, and so price is the first thing I look at. Gas milage is second. I wanted to get rid of my clunker and find a reliable new car that I could feel safe and comfortable in and yet looked ultra- cool. Enter the Ford Focus. The roomy interior easly accomidates me and three friends plus luggage. The steering is ultra senstive and its got plenty of power and speed to aid in any driving emergency. I get between 25 and 35 mpg. I haven't found a car that's easier to drive or more fun! It's excellent ride on short and long trips is definately a plus. It's no secret, the next car I buy will be another Ford Focus.

Do NOT buy this car without the 2.3
By Eddie Adams on 04/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I was kind on the fence about this car - I loved the styling and handling, but was underwhelmed by the motor. The Zetec is kinda crude and not too powerful, especially when you drive it back-to-back with Hondas and Toyotas. Then, I drove one with the new Mazda- built 2.3 - what a difference! This motor is a little jewel - smooth and powerful, with a nice little growl as you hit 6000 RPM. Mind you, this is no WRX-hunter, but it's plenty quick enough. To top it off, I got a ridiculously good deal - almost $4,000 off, plus a 5/100,000 bumper to bumper warranty.

Ford Focus 2001 Street Editon
By Terrytickles on 03/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have enjoy my Focus so far and have 43,000 miles. I did have to replace the front breaks only. It runs like a champion. It's only been in the shop two times. The tires still looks great after having the vehicle for over 2 years now. I purchase my vehicle in July of 2001.

Simply Incredible
By Andrew Henderson on 03/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This will be my 3rd focus purchase in the last three years. I run my own business and I travel everyday! The Focus is the answer to the ever so rising gas prices. I have gone through such models as the SE, ZTS, and now the ZX3 Premium. I purchased my first focus in 2001 and haev traded them in every year becasue Ford has made imporvements every year on them. It trully the best economical car out there!

The sweetest car around
By Storms826 on 12/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love the ford focus. It drives great! It hugs the road when you drive, you don't feel like you are going to lose control. I have never felt seats that have been so comfortable. I have taken 13 hour drives in it and my back never hurt once.

Pleasurable Driving
By grybrd73 on 12/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle has proved to be very easy to handle. It corners easily, and this is very important to me. I have been very impressed with it's response in a tight situation. Braking is smooth and secure. I just enjoy the vehicle.

Excellent experience with the Ford Focus
By unidav on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Have had a wonderful experience with the Ford Focus hatchback that I bought about 14 months ago. No problems at all. Fun to drive, comfortable and good fuel economy.