Used 2004 Ford Focus ZX3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Do not buy this CAr
By snow13

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a my ford focus zx3 for 2 years and it has been in the shop more than I have driven it. Like it has most of the normal problems. The ignition chamber and the transmission. I have put more money in the car than its actually worth. I will never buy a ford again.

2004 Z3 Automatic
By buffee

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car in 2004 Brand new off the lot in May of 2004. In Sept. of 2004 I had a work injury that required alot of surgeries, so I did not get to drive the car that much. To date it has barely 39,000 miles on it. It is the biggest peice of junk ever made!!!!!!! I will NEVER buy from Ford ever again. I had to spend 4,500$ at 28,000 miles for a new transmission, I have had to replaced the ignition because the damn thing locked up every 5 minutes, I have to replace the tires....and they couldn't be ordinary, they had to be some special kind of tire that cost 3 times more and complete brakes, all on a car with less then 40,000 miles. I have put almost 7500 into this car, it is horrible

Favorite Features

The cd player, electric everything and AC

Suggested Improvements

The ignition switches-you KNOW they lock by themselves and yet you continue to ignore 1,000's of complaints The hatch could go up easier, its heavy You could have put standard tires on the car instead of special size The brakes began to squeal at 1,500 miles..Ford told me "All Focus's do that"

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2 Door hatchback 2.0
By Ford for me

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had a couple minor problems with, but with mileage now at 135,000 and running well mostly, I can't really complain. Only problem is if I run for a while, stop for 10 minutes and start, has tendency to die on me. But as long as I stop and keep the engine running, no problem. Hope to drive it for many more miles. Runs like a new car (other than the one problem mentioned, really feels like a new car - really smooth.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy very important for me, as is reliability and comfort. I'm thinking that because my car was put together in Mexico, maybe Ford could afford better parts. Best Ford I've had since the '78 Mercury Zephyr (should never have gotten rid of it at 100,000 miles). Buyer of it got 30k more.

Suggested Improvements

Don't know what causes to die on me after I stop for a little bit. Been like that for two years, though, and not so bad, really. Be nice if could fix that.

My #1 Car
By Brian

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2004 Ford Focus ZX3 back in late April and let me say that I love it. I bought it with 35,789 miles and the previous owner barley drove it but it needs a little of work. It has the 2.3L PZEV engine and it is quiet. The previous 2.0 SPI and Ztech engines were loud but the 2.3L PZEV is quiet. I get around 24 in the city and around 29 on the highway and I love it a lot. Like I said earlier it needs a little of work. It needs new rotors, front wheel bearings, and the transmission fluid needs to be cahnged but other than that it's my #1 car. I previously owned some junk vehicles before but this is a car that I would recomend to someone if they need a good vehicle.

Favorite Features

Quiet, good gas mileage, overall good vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Drop in a 5 speed automatic and also drop in a 6 speed manual. Put in a diesel engine.

Decent and fun to drive!
By Roen

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my 2004 Focus ZX3 for a little over a year now and so far no problems. I've heard Ford had fixed all the problems in the previous model year Foci into the 2004 models and it's pretty obvious. The 2.3L PZEV engine is very torquey at low RPM ranges, around 3,000 rpms, which is practically everyday RPM ranges. Very smooth ride, nice interior, and beautiful styling. Fuel economy isn't as great for a car this size, however. I calculated an average 26 mpg city/highway driving, which is what you'd expect from a larger vehicle like an SUV. But the 2004 Focus is an overall great car to drive that's actually more reliable than the previous model year Foci.

Favorite Features

2.3L PZEV engine is torquey and has quiet decent power, nice sound system, nice interior with convenient controls, nice exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a bit more power coming from a 2.3L engine.