2004 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Do not buy this CAr
By snow13 on 07/21/11 17:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a my ford focus zx3 for 2 years and it has been in the shop more than I have driven it. Like it has most of the normal problems. The ignition chamber and the transmission. I have put more money in the car than its actually worth. I will never buy a ford again.

2004 Z3 Automatic
By buffee on 06/23/11 14:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car in 2004 Brand new off the lot in May of 2004. In Sept. of 2004 I had a work injury that required alot of surgeries, so I did not get to drive the car that much. To date it has barely 39,000 miles on it. It is the biggest peice of junk ever made!!!!!!! I will NEVER buy from Ford ever again. I had to spend 4,500$ at 28,000 miles for a new transmission, I have had to replaced the ignition because the damn thing locked up every 5 minutes, I have to replace the tires....and they couldn't be ordinary, they had to be some special kind of tire that cost 3 times more and complete brakes, all on a car with less then 40,000 miles. I have put almost 7500 into this car, it is horrible

Worst car ever, beats my 83 cavalier
By bryan on 04/30/10 02:23 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

A money pit. If I had to rely on this car for above average use I would have been in trouble many times. For a small car the mileage is below avg-my last trip I couldn't even get 30 mpg hwy/22-23city. The transmission fluid had to be changed at 40k - it's synthetic and cost over $200. The alternator went out at 48k-the engine must be jacked-up to release the alternator so it near impossible for an owner to do.You are looking at $400-700 cost due to labor and parts. The ignition lock seized at 45k-must be towed to the dealer to be fixed due to the anti-theft chip. Around $500. Now at 56k the thermostat housing and valve cover gasket are leaking-Parts and labor will cost you around $500.

Very Satisfied, Good Value, Unique & Fun
By NJ owner on 11/26/09 10:41 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought slightly used in '04. Opted for 2.3L eng. Great ride/handling balance. Fun to drive. V. good steering. Reliable: just brakes & some front suspension work after 5 years. Brakes could be better, but adequate. Excellent value, reliable, 27 MPG avg in interstate hwy / city driving mix. Purely on highway, at least 32 MPG at interstate speeds. Unique styling. Hard to find a non-conservatively styled hatchback. I'm discerning, yet recommend this car since I've got 101K on engine & car still works very well. Of course I maintain it well too, that helps. Good luck.

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2 Door hatchback 2.0
By Ford for me on 06/20/08 20:54 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had a couple minor problems with, but with mileage now at 135,000 and running well mostly, I can't really complain. Only problem is if I run for a while, stop for 10 minutes and start, has tendency to die on me. But as long as I stop and keep the engine running, no problem. Hope to drive it for many more miles. Runs like a new car (other than the one problem mentioned, really feels like a new car - really smooth.

My #1 Car
By Brian on 06/03/08 09:31 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2004 Ford Focus ZX3 back in late April and let me say that I love it. I bought it with 35,789 miles and the previous owner barley drove it but it needs a little of work. It has the 2.3L PZEV engine and it is quiet. The previous 2.0 SPI and Ztech engines were loud but the 2.3L PZEV is quiet. I get around 24 in the city and around 29 on the highway and I love it a lot. Like I said earlier it needs a little of work. It needs new rotors, front wheel bearings, and the transmission fluid needs to be cahnged but other than that it's my #1 car. I previously owned some junk vehicles before but this is a car that I would recomend to someone if they need a good vehicle.

Decent and fun to drive!
By Roen on 10/09/06 20:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my 2004 Focus ZX3 for a little over a year now and so far no problems. I've heard Ford had fixed all the problems in the previous model year Foci into the 2004 models and it's pretty obvious. The 2.3L PZEV engine is very torquey at low RPM ranges, around 3,000 rpms, which is practically everyday RPM ranges. Very smooth ride, nice interior, and beautiful styling. Fuel economy isn't as great for a car this size, however. I calculated an average 26 mpg city/highway driving, which is what you'd expect from a larger vehicle like an SUV. But the 2004 Focus is an overall great car to drive that's actually more reliable than the previous model year Foci.

Sweet Surprise
By John Royce on 07/08/06 08:59 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased our Focus as a commuter but we use it so much more. We never buy 4 cylinders with automatic transmissions, but here it's perfectly mated. Steering is direct with good on center feel. The 2.3L PZEV engine is refined and responsive. It's quite roomy and the hatch lends SUV utility. At 40,000 miles, it has been totally reliable. It's solid, tight and remains an absolute pleasure to drive. Plus, the Audiophile in-dash 6CD stereo package is amazing in such an inexpensive car. It's also reasonably quiet, although better sound proofing could make this car nearly perfect. All in all, a dynamic, fun, surprisingly premium experience.

Fun To Drive - Easy To Park
By NY Commuter on 06/18/06 19:52 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A great car, wonderfully flexible and spacious interior, never felt claustrophobic like other cars in its class that I looked at (like Corolla, Matrix, Scion, Civic, etc.). 28 mpg average city-and-highway driving, and I drive in New York City. Zippy handling, comfortable ride, a real pleasure to drive. Why anyone who wants a small car buys anything else is beyond me. This car is a great bargain and completely reliable.

Bang, Zoom
By powelldg on 10/26/05 11:35 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm happy with the car overall. It was a year old repo, so the price was very reasonable, and it's just what I wanted - 2.3 PZEV, stick. Nice combo of performance, economy (good but not great) and utility (the hatch).