Used 2004 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Do not buy this CAr
By snow13

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a my ford focus zx3 for 2 years and it has been in the shop more than I have driven it. Like it has most of the normal problems. The ignition chamber and the transmission. I have put more money in the car than its actually worth. I will never buy a ford again.

2004 Z3 Automatic
By buffee

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car in 2004 Brand new off the lot in May of 2004. In Sept. of 2004 I had a work injury that required alot of surgeries, so I did not get to drive the car that much. To date it has barely 39,000 miles on it. It is the biggest peice of junk ever made!!!!!!! I will NEVER buy from Ford ever again. I had to spend 4,500$ at 28,000 miles for a new transmission, I have had to replaced the ignition because the damn thing locked up every 5 minutes, I have to replace the tires....and they couldn't be ordinary, they had to be some special kind of tire that cost 3 times more and complete brakes, all on a car with less then 40,000 miles. I have put almost 7500 into this car, it is horrible

The cd player, electric everything and AC

The ignition switches-you KNOW they lock by themselves and yet you continue to ignore 1,000's of complaints The hatch could go up easier, its heavy You could have put standard tires on the car instead of special size The brakes began to squeal at 1,500 miles..Ford told me "All Focus's do that"

Worst car ever, beats my 83 cavalier
By bryan

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

A money pit. If I had to rely on this car for above average use I would have been in trouble many times. For a small car the mileage is below avg-my last trip I couldn't even get 30 mpg hwy/22-23city. The transmission fluid had to be changed at 40k - it's synthetic and cost over $200. The alternator went out at 48k-the engine must be jacked-up to release the alternator so it near impossible for an owner to do.You are looking at $400-700 cost due to labor and parts. The ignition lock seized at 45k-must be towed to the dealer to be fixed due to the anti-theft chip. Around $500. Now at 56k the thermostat housing and valve cover gasket are leaking-Parts and labor will cost you around $500.

Hatchback is good for storage; the ride quality is good for a small car for short commutes and long trips. Exterior design is sharp and unique.

Don't get one, the new focus is even smaller inside than my '04, and the reliability is not any more certain. Gas mileage has barely improved, and only for hwy driving.

Very Satisfied, Good Value, Unique & Fun
By NJ owner

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought slightly used in '04. Opted for 2.3L eng. Great ride/handling balance. Fun to drive. V. good steering. Reliable: just brakes & some front suspension work after 5 years. Brakes could be better, but adequate. Excellent value, reliable, 27 MPG avg in interstate hwy / city driving mix. Purely on highway, at least 32 MPG at interstate speeds. Unique styling. Hard to find a non-conservatively styled hatchback. I'm discerning, yet recommend this car since I've got 101K on engine & car still works very well. Of course I maintain it well too, that helps. Good luck.

Unique interior & exterior styling, yet practical hatch. Ride / handling balance.

Brakes are adequate, but could be stronger. 4 wheel discs limited to SVT model--should've been option for Premium model too.

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2 Door hatchback 2.0
By Ford for me

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had a couple minor problems with, but with mileage now at 135,000 and running well mostly, I can't really complain. Only problem is if I run for a while, stop for 10 minutes and start, has tendency to die on me. But as long as I stop and keep the engine running, no problem. Hope to drive it for many more miles. Runs like a new car (other than the one problem mentioned, really feels like a new car - really smooth.

Fuel economy very important for me, as is reliability and comfort. I'm thinking that because my car was put together in Mexico, maybe Ford could afford better parts. Best Ford I've had since the '78 Mercury Zephyr (should never have gotten rid of it at 100,000 miles). Buyer of it got 30k more.

Don't know what causes to die on me after I stop for a little bit. Been like that for two years, though, and not so bad, really. Be nice if could fix that.