2004 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Excellent little car
By wagnerzx2 on 04/12/13 16:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

After my Escort ZX2 died (after 13 years) I needed a new car. After test driving several, this little wagon perked my interest. I bought it used with 86,000 miles on it in August of 2012, and since, (april 2013) have put over 20,000 miles on it. I average about 33 mpg. about 28 city, 32 against the wind, and 40 with the wind. Since I travel a lot, its great to have the cargo space and the excellent gas mileage. And when I'm home, I can haul my three kids all over the place and everyone is confortable, even with one still in a booster seat. My only downside on this very particular vehicle is that I do not have cruise control. Otherwise, its a great car.

Not made to last
By ahenle on 09/09/12 13:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car from my brother with about 60K miles on it. The check engine light came on soon afterwards, the IMRC actuator was not working. Brake rotors wore out about every 20K miles, apparently that's normal. At 119K, IAC went bad, then everything else did too. Fuel lines, fuel pump, MAF sensor, O2 sensors, bad cat, and the brakes squealed even with new rotors and pads. It was a great car until about 100K miles, then it gave up. Oh yeah, the air filter is "lifetime" or 100K miles, then it's 500$ Poor quality parts, disposable American car. My 93 Subaru has 180K on it, runs great, very few problems. Sad American cars can't really compete with Japanese cars that are made in America

Fun to drive at a price
By luckyintx on 07/20/12 23:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 2004 Focus ZTS in Dec 2007 with 60K. Nice car but had been in some fender bender where the front bumper wasnt installed back correctly. After eating 2 sets of 4 tires, I found out the rims were bent and it has the rarest of Ford Focus ZTS rims ( wide 5 spoke with slit in the middle) nice design though. The 4 disc in dash CD changer wouldnt work when I bought it and replaced it with a DD Kenwood that sounds great! Since it was bought, I have had nothing but strictly electrical issues, which no one can figure out. I have seen others with this make/ model have this same problem, lights flickering all the time. Overall this car has some get-up-and- go for the size engine.

Great car
By baxter83 on 01/23/12 19:18 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new. I loved it every day since. It now has 141,000 miles. The only issues that I've had were minor, until recently. Heated seat (drivers) stopped working. Which Ford fixed. Link ends on struts keep coming loose. Makes a clunking noise. The transmission died at 130,000 miles (Covered by aftermarket warranty). I thought the Alternator died a few weeks ago. After spending 3 hours changing it. I come to find out it wasn't dead. Low voltage was caused by a blown inline fuse in the negative battery cable. All in all I am very happy with that car. So happy I just bought a 2012 focus. Let's hope it handles better in the snow then a 2004.

Good car,i would like more power.
By zts04chuck on 12/07/11 16:03 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Good car bought with 44k on it. It's fun to drive but i wish it had more power& the clutch was a bit more aggressive ,if you have your rpm's up when you shift into 2nd,you have to drop them down before it will reengage. First thing i had to do is replace the lock cylinder. The car has91k on it & i have replaced the front struts right side was different than left,right side was bad. Left wheel bearing was replaced as well with the front breaks . I do use the car to tow my trailer w/ATV or mower on it about 1500 lbs,& it does well,i get about 30 mpg average.

Do not buy this CAr
By snow13 on 07/21/11 17:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a my ford focus zx3 for 2 years and it has been in the shop more than I have driven it. Like it has most of the normal problems. The ignition chamber and the transmission. I have put more money in the car than its actually worth. I will never buy a ford again.

2004 Z3 Automatic
By buffee on 06/23/11 14:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car in 2004 Brand new off the lot in May of 2004. In Sept. of 2004 I had a work injury that required alot of surgeries, so I did not get to drive the car that much. To date it has barely 39,000 miles on it. It is the biggest peice of junk ever made!!!!!!! I will NEVER buy from Ford ever again. I had to spend 4,500$ at 28,000 miles for a new transmission, I have had to replaced the ignition because the damn thing locked up every 5 minutes, I have to replace the tires....and they couldn't be ordinary, they had to be some special kind of tire that cost 3 times more and complete brakes, all on a car with less then 40,000 miles. I have put almost 7500 into this car, it is horrible

Great Car for Commuting
By mike_231 on 12/21/10 08:33 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased in 2007 with 30k miles, just sold with 66k miles. Overall a great daily driver. Got between 28 and 32 MPG in mostly highway driving. Reliability was above average - only items I replaced were front brake rotors and sway bar end links (a common problem?). Otherwise, I only performed routine maintenance at the intervals suggested in the owner's manual. Good braking and cornering feel with decent acceleration. Complaints include strange options (had PW, PL, power mirrors and remote keyless entry, but no cruise control or tilt steering column), and everything under the car was rusted at the time I sold it. Overall, though, a great value.

Lemon
By grover04 on 12/19/10 06:39 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2004 Ford Focus ZTS for 5 years and it has been nothing but a money sucker ever since. For the past 5 years my focus has randomly shut down while I've been driving and I have taken the car to multiple shops and a Ford Dealership, still no one can figure out the problem. I have had to replace the headlights twice every year, and as soon as my car hit 70,000 (this summer) my car basically lived at an auto shop (been in 5 times the past 6 months). My friend who has the same make, same year, has had all similar problems as has a neighbor of mine. The only positives I have to say about this car is a spacious trunk and nice interior.

2004 SVT Focus
By jkevallen on 09/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Focus SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Driving over the Santa Cruz mountains to work every day this car is a ton of fun to drive. Great bang for the buck. I purchased it Used in 2009 and have loved every minute. In mostly highway (commute) driving I consistently get 30 mpg. Only mechanical issue I've had is needing to replace the clutch master cylinder for $270. If left out in the sun in high heat the gauges sometimes don't read correctly after start up. Other than that I love the car. Looking forward to the new Focus ST to be released in 2012.