Used 2004 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Most Helpful|
I hate my car
By Hate my Focus

2004 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

To this day, I so mad at myself for buying this thing - knobs/trim have fallen off, the transmission makes noises - I am honestly as afraid to drive this car, as i was when i had a beater in college

Favorite Features

I have nothing positive to say about this car

Suggested Improvements

Improvements? Hmmmmm, for me, i learned NOT to buy a Ford again

This should have been a LEMON Vehicle
By Elisa Maldonado

2004 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought in 6/00 a brand new Ford Focus 2000. To make the long story short, I have had to have 5 fuel pumps put in the car. Has left me on the street, shop had my vehicle for 3 months, could not figure out what was wrong with it. Co worker at work has similiar problems that I had, she has traded the car since. Her vehicle was newer than mine.

Favorite Features

Like the fact that it is compact.

Suggested Improvements

I feel that when a car has had as many problems as mine has, there should be no question that it should have been sent back and LEMON it! I tried and there was no luck.

Ford - A car that is a mistake
By Ford - fix

2004 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a joke of a vehicle. My cousin bought a new Focus. From day one she had problems with this auto. During her first 1000 miles of driving the transmission needed to be fixed three times. At 1800 miles the battery failed. At 2700 miles - the brakes failed, yes at 2700 miles the brakes failed. Her dealer was useless. The zone representative was of no assistance. She will never buy a ford and I would never own one either.

Favorite Features

Walking away from the car after the brakes failed at 2700 miles

Suggested Improvements

a Chevy, a Honda, a Toyota, a Kia etc. . .

don't make the mistake of buying a focus
By allgdgary

2004 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

i had one problem after another with the focus. after it got about 5000 miles the fuel economy was about 12mpg instead of 33mpg. I had to have brake work done 4 times while I had it. In the end I traded it in and only got $5800 while i still owed 14000. I would have to say that I would never buy another Ford Product.

Favorite Features

Stereo

Worst car ever, beats my 83 cavalier
By bryan

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

A money pit. If I had to rely on this car for above average use I would have been in trouble many times. For a small car the mileage is below avg-my last trip I couldn't even get 30 mpg hwy/22-23city. The transmission fluid had to be changed at 40k - it's synthetic and cost over $200. The alternator went out at 48k-the engine must be jacked-up to release the alternator so it near impossible for an owner to do.You are looking at $400-700 cost due to labor and parts. The ignition lock seized at 45k-must be towed to the dealer to be fixed due to the anti-theft chip. Around $500. Now at 56k the thermostat housing and valve cover gasket are leaking-Parts and labor will cost you around $500.

Favorite Features

Hatchback is good for storage; the ride quality is good for a small car for short commutes and long trips. Exterior design is sharp and unique.

Suggested Improvements

Don't get one, the new focus is even smaller inside than my '04, and the reliability is not any more certain. Gas mileage has barely improved, and only for hwy driving.