2003 Ford Focus Consumer Review: Poor Quality & Engineering-For

2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Review

SE Comfort Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Poor Quality & Engineering-Ford Cops Out
By Cold Mainer on

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car with great gas mileage if driven correctly. I average 34 MPG on the highway at 60 MPH. A major flaw of this vehicle has been the rear suspension. It has too much negative rear camber and not enough toe. This causes wear to the inside edges of the rear tires. This is not adjustable and must be accomplished with the use of aftermarket parts. It cost me $350.00 to get this problem fixed. It has stopped eating tires now and has improved the safety of the vehicle. I have 48,000 miles on my latest set of tires now. This vehicle was very dangerous when operated in snow and wet conditions. It always wanted to spin around before I got the rear end problem fixed. Trunk latch, ignition rp

Fuel economy

Recall tire wear issue, ignition switch repair, trunk latch problem, motor mount problems. I do not recommend anyone buying this car before a 2008 build date. The earlier models are very unreliable and most importantly unsafe.
By joshuacroff
on 02/05/11 15:17 PM (PST)

Please please please tell me how to fix this problem. This car is absolutely terrifying in winter weather.

By birdturn
on 05/24/12 17:45 PM (PDT)

I also would like this info. I recently got a ford focus and am terrified when I hit ruts in the road or in rain. I haven't driven in snow yet...but I'm not looking forward to it!