Used 2003 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

My pokis
By Jerrid Francis

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had My Focus for 4 years, It's been great never had any problems with my car. I have put a lot of miles on this car. A lot of counrty roads city roads and hiways. I have put 3 sets of tires on it and a brake light bulb. I live in the snow belt and the car gets around in it good, The only downfall is that you can't get real tires on it only toy tires. I would like to beable to have real snow tires studs caps mud tires what ever thar called, and a little higher off the ground would be great. It's not so great on the sand bar. And another downfall it rides like a lumberjack. If Ford would build a car that's higher of the ground real tires, all wheel drive, 4cyl diesel, that would be great.

4 years and counting
By Loyola C.

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm torn on this car. I've had it for 4 years and had to replace the alternator today (cost $531.89 p/l). Like some other people, early in the purchase I had problems w/the ignition and had to have it replaced. I had to have the tires replaced too. I've always made sure to service the vehicle and care for it as instructed, and other than the alternator, I haven't had to deal w/any major repairs yet. For a lower end car, I think it has done pretty good.

Really good highway mileage. Drove from Salt Lake to Vegas to Phoenix & back; cost about $160.00 for gas.

It seems like an alternator shouldn't need to be replaced after 4 years. Easier access to the break lights/bulbs for replacement.

Not worth the money
By ckw

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The first two years I had the car it worked great. I had no problems with it. Then it started having problems. First, the radio went out. Then I began to have brake problems. Then my water pump and related components began to develop holes. Now the brake pads have worn down and the alternator has just about gone out. In the last 2 years, my car has been in the shop 5-6 times. Additionally, I used to get really good gas mileage. Now, it's below average and my driving habits have not changed (perhaps due to the alternator). I've had other cars that maybe went to the shop once in their whole lifetime.

MP3 player, trunk release easy to get to

Make seats more comfortable and add an rpm guage to all models.

Good car
By vbchick

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car for about a month. Overall the car is great. It gets great gas mileage and is a great little car for me. I am 6'1" and fit pretty good. There is lots of head and leg room. Other cars I sat in my legs hit the steering wheel, but in the Focus the adjustable up/down feature of the seat gives me lots of room. Overall this is a great car.

CD player, name of song/station on radio display, adjustable seat (especially up/down feature), adjustable steering wheel

A bigger armrest compartment, more room in back seat. Being able to change the automatic lock feature when you start to drive. More cup holders. Wiper for the back window. Different turn signal sound

Still great after 3 years
By kate

2003 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and it is just as much fun to drive over 3 years later. I have the Zetec engine, it has lots of pep and I get 25 mpg overall and that's with over 20 stop lights between home and work. The original Firestone tires were...well, junk, and after lots effort on the dealership's part, I gave up and replaced them with Pirelli tires at 8000 miles. The back seat is roomier than I expected and the front is very comfortable. Huge trunk great for travel.I love this car!

Zippy, great handling and fun to drive. Love the 6 CD stereo.I used to work in a collision center and I saw several people with a demolished Focus. These cars absorb the impact, allowing the driver to walk away unhurt.

Irritating turn signal sound. Ugly bug- eye headlights-not present in later models.Side and rear poor visibility. Better tires.