Used 2003 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Great City Car!
By Bob

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Tight car! Solid, no rattles, more than adequate power and handles well! Love it as city runabout, easy entry, exit, parking and great visibility all around. Hatchback can carry BIG loads, like a mini SUV! Over 30k miles, no problems yet. Have a loaded automatic, sunroof and all extras yet it still doesn't have a rattle it - wife loves it too - Just leave the Town Car in the garage and use the Focus in the city!

Hatchback! Easily carries large and TALL loads - it's very convenient as shopper, airport runner and hauler.

MPH not that good, <23 originally in city using air. Put in M&H air filter and it increased significantly to >26. Ford should be able to get this little and relatively light car to get over 30+ in the city and still keep it as responsive as it is.

It Works for Me!
By marj

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I really love this car - its fun to drive and very reliable. The only weird thing was that I had to have the (automatic) transmission replaced after only 25K (I bought it with 17K). Nobody - dealer or Ford - seems to know why this happened, but its been running fine ever since.

CD player, interior lights go on when you unlock the door, adjustable seat height, good sound system.

Could shift more smoothly (automatic transmission). Interior takes a while to heat up and cool down in extremes of temperature.

Fun car
By JY

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new. I love it! I have so much fun driving it. It's a pretty slick looking car too. So, far the only problem I had was with the cd player. It quit working & 2 of my cds got stuck in it.

I like the design of the car.

cd player.

So far so good
By Yemats

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car performs better than I expected for the cost. The mileage is somewhat disappointing with the automatic -- only about 25, mostly highway. It has plenty of power and handles great, very smooth and quiet. The only problem I have experienced is a malfunctioning hatch release.

I have all the accessories and they all perform great.

Maybe better seats, power would be nice.

Nothing but problems
By IR

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this vehicle on the recommendation of Consumer Reports. So far this car has had nothing but problems. Ford dealership replaced the clutch, airbags, alternator, and the engine computer. Overall quality is below average; there's a reason why this car has a low resale value.

Styling, 6 disk cd changer.

Make improvements on build quality.