Used 2003 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Tire Hungry
By Arlie Rauch

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the car because of crisp handling and because of high consumer ratings. But, it eats tires. At just about every oil change it needs either a wheel alignment or the tires balanced--they are virtually always vibrating, and the rear end is noisy at any speed. We have had to replace the trunk latch--it quit locking. The car handled miserably on winter roads, of which we have some here in Montana. I eventually solved that by buying another set of wheels on which we mounted studded snow tires (we never had that problem with a VW Rabbit we owned for years). This car has been a disappointment, and we are strongly looking at getting something different. Its gas mileage is also poor.

Turning radius and cornering ability.

Whatever it takes to smooth out the ride and achieve normal tire wear.

Won't buy a Ford again
By Dissatisfied Owner

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my car new and was fine until after I passed the "Lemon Law" limit. I only have 61000 miles on my car. I've had nothing but problems with my car! In the shop constantly. Transmission went out, had radio replaced 6 times, now have an after market radio paid for by Ford, alternator and cellunoid went out, blower motor went out, mold in my A/C x 2 and getting poorer gas mileage. It makes the weirdest noises that my local dealer can't always find the cure for. Never did get the gas mileage it claimed to get. I purchased the extended warranty and was so glad I did! I'd be in the "Poor House" now if I hadn't.

It is rather fun to drive, otherwise.

Better quality control. Engineers from Detroit were supposed to have checked out my radio issue and couldn't find a problem

Rear Springs
By Stanton6xx

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Four years of driving and my wife loves the car. Easy for her to handle. Gas milage going down over the years. Main item is rear coil springs. Both needed replacement. $615.00 resolution. Both sprins broke in the lower spring cup. One spring broke the second time. Micro-crack and mechanical break.

More features than I expected for a low priced Ford

Air circulation, windshield fogs up in misty damp weather. Need a/c to resolve reducing mileage.

Good First Car
By Equinox

2003 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it with 48,000 miles on it. Apart from regular oil changes and one bad heater coil ($100) it has run quite well. Fun to drive in summer but need to be careful in winter.

Fun to drive, good pickup off the line, big trunk.

Better dynamics in bad weather, more efficient AC.

do not buy this car
By Emilee

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my ford focus for one year and so far my ignition has gone out, my clutch has gone out, my fuel injector has gone out, my power steering has gone out, my windows have stopped going down and much more. Do not purchase this car. IT will be the worst mistake you ever make. I am still paying $200 a month for my mistake and can't get out of it because i am upside down in it.