Used 2003 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Cute but not reliable
By Dr. Jane

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced brakes at 13,000. Have replaced wheels and had bearings replaced twice. Problems with vibration ever since I bought the car. Worst car for repairs I have ever owned. Bought in 2003, currently 60,000, getting ready to trade in, I am done.

Appearance and trunk space

4 Years and still going strong
By Tony

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my ZX5 with 5000 miles on it in Dec 03. As of today it has 82,000 on it and other than routine PM's, it has never been in the shop for repair. Gas mileage averages about 27 combined city/country driving. It is an awesome little car. I see another Focus in my future

Split fold down rear seats, great front compartment, good power.

Lumbar supports for front seats, better audio system

Never Again
By stanlell

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In the shop twice for transmission problems before 12,000 miles. Took 1/4 tank of gas and 2 hours to go 23 miles up hills recently while traveling on vacation.Thought the transmission was going to fall out. Back again last week for same transmission problem that was "repaired" 18,000 miles ago, only had to pay $100 deductible even though it is under full warranty. Afraid to drive up a hill because I am out of cash and cannot afford another $100 should it have to go back in the shop. I will never again have a Ford product and this one will be gone as soon as I make the last payment. Hello Toyota.

Only 24 more payments and then it will be outta here. (Should it last that long!)

I spoke with a lot of people with problems with the Focus. Every used car lot has at least 2 for resale. Recall them all and give people their money back or a fair even trade. And how can you charge a "deductible" on a warranty? Nope, never again will I purchase a Ford product.

Focus ZX3 Hatchback
By Barbara

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've been disappointed with this vehicle's gas mileage since I purchased it. I've found that larger automobiles get better gas mileage. I have a gas tank that holds just over 11 gallons and when I travel 350 miles to visit my son the car uses about a tank and a half of fuel. That figures out to be less than 22 MPG on a road trip.

my blue Focus
By Joe Gaver Jr

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Surprised how gutsy and nimble this thing is despite having 4 fewer cylinders than my 1990 Mustang GT had!

Fuel economy and seats.