2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
The Worst Car I've Ever Owned
By William Sparrow on 08/04/08 20:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Instrument cluster died first, that alone was around six hundred dollars. Three sensors were defective and it failed inspection. A vacuum switch was followed by a major transmission malfunction. The trunk can be problematic at times. The visors are poor and the ignition switch is faulty. I have put 21000 gentle miles on this sedan. I drive like an old man and have this car serviced regularly (when it is not being repaired). I am a teacher and find myself struggling financially as a result of this purchase. The repair costs have far outweighed the fuel savings. I believe that Ford is negligent beyond reason. Ford should be ashamed of this abysmal car!

Tire Hungry
By Arlie Rauch on 07/23/08 08:45 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the car because of crisp handling and because of high consumer ratings. But, it eats tires. At just about every oil change it needs either a wheel alignment or the tires balanced--they are virtually always vibrating, and the rear end is noisy at any speed. We have had to replace the trunk latch--it quit locking. The car handled miserably on winter roads, of which we have some here in Montana. I eventually solved that by buying another set of wheels on which we mounted studded snow tires (we never had that problem with a VW Rabbit we owned for years). This car has been a disappointment, and we are strongly looking at getting something different. Its gas mileage is also poor.

Won't buy a Ford again
By Dissatisfied Owner on 07/04/08 13:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my car new and was fine until after I passed the "Lemon Law" limit. I only have 61000 miles on my car. I've had nothing but problems with my car! In the shop constantly. Transmission went out, had radio replaced 6 times, now have an after market radio paid for by Ford, alternator and cellunoid went out, blower motor went out, mold in my A/C x 2 and getting poorer gas mileage. It makes the weirdest noises that my local dealer can't always find the cure for. Never did get the gas mileage it claimed to get. I purchased the extended warranty and was so glad I did! I'd be in the "Poor House" now if I hadn't.

2.3 PZEV ZX3 Focus 5 speed
By shopwrd on 06/08/08 20:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been great. 63,000 miles (owned since new) and the engine has yet to sputter with hesitation. Average low 30's mpg and the highest I've got so far is 41mpg from San Diego to San Jose. More than adequate power and it has never had one problem!

Rear Springs
By Stanton6xx on 05/06/08 13:15 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Four years of driving and my wife loves the car. Easy for her to handle. Gas milage going down over the years. Main item is rear coil springs. Both needed replacement. $615.00 resolution. Both sprins broke in the lower spring cup. One spring broke the second time. Micro-crack and mechanical break.

Good First Car
By Equinox on 05/05/08 14:50 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it with 48,000 miles on it. Apart from regular oil changes and one bad heater coil ($100) it has run quite well. Fun to drive in summer but need to be careful in winter.

The Ambiguous Focus
By Zetec on 05/04/08 19:24 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I loved this car from the start and began to modify it. Lowered racing suspension and rims with high qaulity tires made it handle great, best car I ever had, good power but not great, its not really a sports car after all. Replaced front wheel bearings at 60k after some vibration. After that at 72k i turned on the AC and the blower motor caught fire under the dash and burned the interior pretty badly before it was put out, as I was driving it was considered a car accident not a auto fire and I wasn't covered, total loss. I am however getting a new Focus. I'll roll down the windows

Exceeds expectations
By P K on 04/17/08 21:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car at 1 yr/8k thinking I would sell it in a year or two. But it has been a great car for four years and now 50k miles. It has been reliable and drives pretty sporty for 130 hp. The premium stereo is amazing for a factory model. The interior is larger than you would expect for a car this size when the rear seat is down. I have only two gripes. The brakes have always been squeaky and the gas mileage of the automatic is not as good as you would expect from a small car. Small complaints compared to the value of this car. I have been very happy with this car.

Tires
By crap on 04/08/08 20:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car gets great gas mileage but has cost me a fortune in tires. I bought the ZTW focus 2.0l 5sp wagon new and it no has 88,000 mi on it. I get no more than 15,000 mi out of a set of 15" tires whether cheap or expensive (back have gotten as little a 10K). Called Ford up they said "never heard of that before" but yet supplies my dealer w/ alignment kits to try and cure. Struts blew at 10k . On 3rd set of rear seat belts. Rear latch changed under recall- new latch worse-latch sometimes opens when hit bump-things fall out. Can no longer read LCD #s on blaupunct radio. Dashboard different color than rest of plastics. ps pump leak at 30k.

Awful
By Richard on 03/27/08 10:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Picked this up just over a year ago with 38,000 miles on it & over a year of original powertrain warranty left. Since then, it's been into the shop many times. I've spent over $3,000 repairing this vehicle, replacing the a/c compressor, the a/c condenser, the alternator, the tensioner pulley, & the front sway bars amongst other things. None of the repairs were covered by the warranty. The car now has 47,300 miles on it, & I can't wait to trade it in. In my opinion, I think that overall, it's a good idea poorly executed, put together with poor quality parts.