Used 2003 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Poor Quality & Engineering-Ford Cops Out
By Cold Mainer

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car with great gas mileage if driven correctly. I average 34 MPG on the highway at 60 MPH. A major flaw of this vehicle has been the rear suspension. It has too much negative rear camber and not enough toe. This causes wear to the inside edges of the rear tires. This is not adjustable and must be accomplished with the use of aftermarket parts. It cost me $350.00 to get this problem fixed. It has stopped eating tires now and has improved the safety of the vehicle. I have 48,000 miles on my latest set of tires now. This vehicle was very dangerous when operated in snow and wet conditions. It always wanted to spin around before I got the rear end problem fixed. Trunk latch, ignition rp

Favorite Features

Fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Recall tire wear issue, ignition switch repair, trunk latch problem, motor mount problems. I do not recommend anyone buying this car before a 2008 build date. The earlier models are very unreliable and most importantly unsafe.

Reliable as a tank
By Tdwillis

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan w/Zetec (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We have had this car since it was new and now we have 188k on it and all I have to say it has been super reliable and flawless. The only problem early on were the front sway links, but mechanically our focus has been and still is remarkably reliable. The trans and engine is original and has never been serviced for nothing. We also have never had a check engine light come on and it passes the emissions test every time with flying colors. Our Focus also doesn't burn a drop of oil. I don't know why everyone else has had the problems they have with their Focus but my experience has been very positive. Driving this car 300k miles doesn't seem like a fantasy anymore.

Favorite Features

My favorite features is are the six disc changer, the adjustable drivers seat, and the AC, which which cools better then my Malibu. The way this car drives and handles is another favorite of mine.

Suggested Improvements

The sway bar links, wiper relay, rear trunk lock, door handles have been the only problem spots.

Solid
By Matt

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I knew even when I bought this car that I would never truly love it, but it has been rock solid for me over the last three years. Outside of routine maintenance, I haven't had a single headache or repair. I keep wanting something to go wrong so I can talk my wife into letting me get a sexier vehicle, but my Focus just keeps plugging away. I could have paid far more for a used Civic or Corolla, but I wouldn't have gotten a better or more reliable car.

Favorite Features

reliability, fuel efficiency

Suggested Improvements

front seats are uncomfortable and driver seat might not go back far enough for anybody over 6'0"

PZEV only lasted 98,826 miles!
By Mirox

2003 Ford Focus ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Quite funny to get a car that is designed to be maintenance FREE for 15 years or 150,000 when in reality it does not make it to 100,000 ! The 2.3 L engine with Timing Chain supposed to be an improvement over the 2.0 L with timing belt! Except when the plastic slippers wear out it jumps timing and bends all valves - hence a JUNK! Now at to that clutch that lasted only 36,000 miles, Audio system that had to be replaced 5 times, Steering wheel that just locks and can not be unlocked again without replacing the key switch, RIGHT engine mounts that break, and host of other things like worn out Front Struts at 78,000. This vehicle has problems that YUGO never had! Simply a BAD CAR

Favorite Features

Lot of engine power but poor fuel economy our Crown Vic got better mileage on Highway trips!

Suggested Improvements

Simply a BAD design, best improvement would be to stop manufacturing it!

Traded a Gas guzzler for a Money Guzzler
By disappointmentabound

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car for the first 45,000 miles! The tranny went out and was replaced under warranty at 3 years old. A year after the transmission replacement, the brakes went out and had to be completely replaced. About two months after the brakes, the struts went out. Also had to have them replaced. Upgraded stereo went out then, started hearing a terrible front end grinding noise-was told it was the transmission. Called the dealership and they said it was 3 days out of warranty. Took it to a different dealership and was told the motor mounts were also bad. Oh, and the ignition switch locked up. Was gonna just sell it, resale on the car isn't even $1500 but it gets great gas mileage.

Favorite Features

trunk space, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

ignition switch recall, strut recall, motor mount recall. All common problems that Ford needs to take responsibility for!