Used 2003 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Exceeds expectations
By P K

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car at 1 yr/8k thinking I would sell it in a year or two. But it has been a great car for four years and now 50k miles. It has been reliable and drives pretty sporty for 130 hp. The premium stereo is amazing for a factory model. The interior is larger than you would expect for a car this size when the rear seat is down. I have only two gripes. The brakes have always been squeaky and the gas mileage of the automatic is not as good as you would expect from a small car. Small complaints compared to the value of this car. I have been very happy with this car.

Stereo, cargo capacity, reliability

Better brakes

Problems?...Not Ford's.
By Derek Ripley

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for almost a year, I bought it with about 65k miles on it. I have never had any problems with this car other than ones that I solved, and they were problems that I could have avoided. It's fun to drive, gets better than est. gas mileage.

Design, fun to drive 5 speed, enough power, great gas mileage (suffers more during winter tho), the list goes on and on. I would not buy another year, make or model. ZX3 design looks good, and looks sporty. Sound system is better than my roomates 07 Chevy Silverado.

Standard ABS, cruise control, I have the base model, so I could have had these options, but I didn't want to look elsewhere, it was love at first side and I had to have it. Those are feature I could live with out so I can't really complain.

Basically, a very good car
By Lance

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Low mileage car when I bought it. 2.0 Zetec, 5 spd. I drive it conservatively & get 35mpg overall. Love hatchback room & a pity it is no longer offered. A very good, reliable car, new, or used, for the money.

Gas mileage 32-40mpg. Styling, roomy hatchback version

Blind areas at rear pillars take getting used to. Many have ignition switch problems that Ford should be paying/reimbursing for.

Personal thoughts of my first new car
By John

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive with its sharp cornering abilities, handles better than some all wheel drive vehicles in the snow and on the ice. It's low to the ground for superb handling. Will hold very well in cold conditions.

Quick response and superb handling.

Could use daytime running lamps and heated side view mirrors.

Ford Fun Car...
By Ford Fun CAr...

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great city and short range trip car. Tight! Quick, totally adaquate. Can steal a parking place in a heart beat! Handles great. Would definitely recomment or buy again. Plus good visibility.

Hatchback! Amazing what you can get in the back!

Seat release control - It takes two hands to fold seat forward - you gotta wonder why they make seat release turn backwards yet to have to pull forward