2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
2003 Competition Orange SVT 2 door hatch
By Marc Ceniceros on 11/25/08 04:53 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Love the Comp. Orange color, always the only 1 in a parking lot. The car is about balance. Adequate acceleration, good grip, excellent handling, fantastic brakes. I don't trust my Ford dealer so have not had the clutch knocking fixed but it continues to function otherwise so I'll wait to repair it. Euro package brings nice accessories, but body treatment adds useless weight to a car already weak on torque. I'd trade 15/20 Bhp for 5/10 more lbs./ft. Base car weighs less than SVT! Wrong. I'm 70" tall and my hair rubs the sunroof. Wish it had 16" wheels for improved ride/comfort without diminishing the turn in. 45 series rubber is ridiculous off track. Car is noisy on many surfaces.

Took the crash well
By Tom on 11/13/08 04:16 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My wife bought this car new. In the time she had it there was very little maintenance done on it. Had to replace a tail light that had melted to the plastic holder. Had to drill the old one out. Car ran smooth. A couple of weeks ago another driver pulled out in front of her and my wife and 9 month baby hit them head on at over 45 MPH. The good news is they both walked away. Minor injuries. Insurance did not give is much money for it but they car crumbled and not my family. Other problems with the car was the radio stopped working but could not be turned off. It just blinked, and the tailgate release button was not working had to use the keypad.

No Real Problems
By MissDragun on 10/22/08 14:42 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a while now, and I just love it. Most people seem to frown on Ford cars but I did my research before buying - and I'm glad I didn't listen to them. Only recently did I have a problem with the factory installed Blankrupt radio. Though a radio is nice, it's a minor problem to get fixed. If you are looking for a nice, dependable, well engineered vehicle - I recommend the Focus.

2003 Focus ZTW
By Roger on 10/12/08 15:53 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I now have 135000 miles on this car. I have owned it from new. Only problem is that it wears out a lot of tires. Doesn't seem to help to align and rotate. last set of tires lasted 20,000 miles. Perhaps because they are the low profile 16 inch. Otherwise car uses no oil, averages 23mpg combined city and highway.

First Car from Dealership
By Dragonz on 10/07/08 08:42 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive. I bought it at 37000 miles, 5 years old, but it still ran smooth. I had to replace the alternator and battery only a month after I got it, but the dealerhsip replaced those for free, even though they weren't on the warranty. It's sporty, great gas-milage, and has a sun-roof which is always fun. Recently took it on a trip to Wendover and it ran smoothly.

Fun Little Car
By James on 09/27/08 15:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because I was traveling long distance to work, at first 120 miles on way now about 60. The gas mileage is good. I avergave about 30 mpg. I have really enjoyed having it. No major problems. I did have to replace the ignition switch once and the engine light stays on, I'm told it's because of where I buy my gas. I just find this a fun little car. My entire family enjoys the car. It goes good in the snow and wet roads as long as I take it nice and easy. Ford must have done something right with this one because I see lots of them on the road.

Great Car
By 2112Rush on 08/15/08 15:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This Focus has been the most reliable and fun car that we have had so far. It's is great with gas. Only big problem that we've had with it is something with the timing belts. But overall it has been a great car, very, very reliable. And the price isn't bad either.

Not The Best
By Jennifer on 08/12/08 08:53 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My dad originally bought this car for me for my first car. I will say that for a first time driver, it is decent. Very easy to drive. For the few years I owned it, I never had any mechanical problems with it. The 4cyl. engine, in my opinion, is way too small. Awful pickup on the highway. It is very low to the ground and had a tendency to bottom out. Also, not really good in the snow. Decent MPG though. I ended up trading it in for a 07 Jeep Liberty, which I love and would recommend to someone over the Focus.

Swaying Impressions
By WrstPirateever on 08/10/08 18:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

For a 2 door, this thing is fun to drive. Pretty good acceleration, and plenty of trunk space once the back seat is folded down. I couldnt believe it when I fit my new 42 inch TV in there and noone else could either! The back seat is useless for passengers unless they have no legs. Very tight quarters back there. Now for the bad. I've never had so much trouble with traction especially on wet roads. I also have less than 60,000 miles and I've already had to have a brand new transmission put in (luckily covered under warranty) and new tie rod ends. Now I'm having issues with what I believe is the air intake control. Finally, this thing eats through tires like crazy

A great car for the money
By Anonymous on 08/08/08 09:36 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Ford Focus! The brakes do squeal, which I've heard many times is normal in a Focus. Had them replaced at about 15,000 miles, and haven't been a problem since then. Also, had a problem with the tie-rod, as well as a rough idle. But, once these problems were fixed, the car has been great! I drive my wife's Toyota Camry too, and my car is so much nicer! It's at the just right comfort level, so I don't fall asleep on long road trips. Also, it speeds up nicely. Has a couple dings, but I love my car, and will run it into the ground. Bought it new, and been driving it for 5 years now. I love the fact that I get 5 more mpg on highways than my wife, so we regularly take my car to Washington